Hi

This is a question and feedback from one of our members.
He is a well known person in the motorcycle world and his research is impressive.
On our forum he has documentet several very rare interesting rebuilds.
Now he is soon to start yet another one but finds our forum to be very outdated regarding how it handles images so here is his input
Morgan,
I assume you don't allow posting of photos directly to your site because of the storage space required. However, I plan to thoroughly document the rebuild of my 1928 Ariel (which is still making its way through Customs at LAX), possibly with video as well, and the prospect of the mind-numbing process your site requires to resize each photo, upload to the sluggish Photobucket, copy the URL, and paste it into the thread, is pretty unappealing. Especially since computers easily can do all the drudge work, allowing the poster to simply drag and drop a photo and have it automatically resized and inserted into a post. I'm looking into various options and it would help to know if your are planning an upgrade anytime soon that will make posting photos a lot more user friendly.
Charles

I then refered him to the direct upload topic on this forum and then he replied

Morgan,
Well, I might have missed it in that discussion, but it appears images -- if they've been properly sized ahead of time -- can be attached at the end of a post by dragging/dropping into an attachment manager. However, I'd use the expression "close, but no cigar," but you might not understand that Americanism, and it doesn't apply anyway, because attaching images this way isn't even close to being acceptable. They have to be embedded in the text so the text describing each image is located with the image, and not have all the images bunched at the end so the reader has to figure out which image a particular piece of text is describing..

It's hard to believe the guy in charge of implementing this for your site doesn't understand the importance (but, it doesn't seem so), so perhaps I missed it in the thread. What is needed is a way to drag/drop a photo of any size into a thread and have it automatically resized to fit the constraints. The original image can be deleted after resizing so as not to waste storage space. The thread would look like:

The following photo shows the rod attached to the crank:
[photo drag/dropped here]
As can be seen, the rod is cracked, which is clearer in the following close-up:
[close-up photo drag/dropped here]
The rod can be seen flying apart in the following slow-motion movie clip:
[movie clip drag/dropped here]
Charles

Well I'm sure he thinks I need to convert to a more modern forum but I like it here and will stick with UBBThreads. However I would like to receive comments and suggestions
after you read this post.
Thanks
Morgan

Last edited by Morgan; 04/30/2017 7:07 AM.

Morgan Johansson
BritBike Forum
https://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php