Originally Posted by BellaOnline
I agree the 'turn off update emails' should be a global setting. As the owner of the forum, and the person who is going to get slammed and penalized for the emails going out, I should be able to prevent those from sending. It impacts not only my forum email but all of my editors' actual newsletters they try to send. If Gmail or someone triggers a block on us it blocks ALL of our outgoing email which becomes a huge problem.

A user can determine if they want email notifications or not. Its not anything which is forced upon them.

See attached screenshot from Account Preferences screen @
https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/editdisplay

If you wanted to block all email from being sent you, you could just rename the /libs/phpmailer directory to something else. But then you'd not be able to do email new user validations, or password resets or any emails at all.

What did not exist in the past, was a notice within the forum emails where the user could click, and be brought in to their account preferences, so they could unsubscribe from having emails sent to them on past posts they've written comments to. At the advice of Google many years ago, that link was added.

Instead of disabling emails of watched posts entirely, maybe what needs to be added is, "Only send 1 notification that there is a new reply. And the user will only get that one notification until they return to the forums." So basically, there may be new replies to the post, but until that user revisits the forums, they will only get the email notification once.

ie; "There may also be other replies, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again."
Attachments
20180124_09-58-26.PNG

Current developer of UBB.threads PHP Forum Software
Current Release: UBBT 7.7.5 // Preview: UBBT 8.0.0
isaac @ id242.com // my forum @ CelicaHobby.com