A separate note, on the sitemap page concept.

Google loves sitemaps. I have numerous sitemaps on all my website properties which are directories of links to get to the pages on my site. Google *adores* these pages and ranks them highly. Google explicitly asks for sitemaps in their indexing area. I get a lot of Google traffic coming in to my sitemap pages and those pages have low bounce rates. So both Google and visitors enjoy sitemaps.

A linkfarm is wholly separate - a link farm links to external pages. Link farms used to be popular - About.com was originally the Mining Company and it was all about links to various external topic area pages. I was their Wine editor both at the Mining Company and then as they transitioned to a content-based site of About.com. So I saw all of that change happen. A main reason Google began penalizing external-link pages is because they wanted to be Link Central and didn't want other companies competing with them smile. So they penalized sites with lots of links to external pages. That's an entirely different action.

So to summarize, internal-linking site map pages are great and rewarded. External-linking link directories are heavily penalized because Google wants to rule the world smile.

Lisa Shea, owner, BellaOnline.com
BellaOnline Website
BellaOnline Forums - UBB since Apr 2002 - 58,000 members / 850,000 posts