don't modify admin.inc.php
The language string is set in languages/english/generic.php or if use another language in their directory/generic.php
The problem with ubb.threads < V7.7x is the old way to connect to the databse and hardcoded mailer code pages.
With ubb.threads > 7.7x it should be possible to enhance the sql connect with codepage like this:
To get true utf8 support, you need the following line after mysqli_connect:
mysqli_set_charset( $this->dbh, "utf8" );
Ref: https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/262249/re-copy-and-paste#Post262249

Then the next problem: your database ist running utf-8 but if you have a very old ubb.threads version the tables was created in iso (swedish latin-1 or something like this, not in utf-8) This can fixed easy in phpmyadmin. Set the collation to utf-8 for each table.

At this point all new text is stored in utf-8 and all old text show a black square ? for a non utf-8 char. The next step ist working inside the table and replace all non utf-8 chars with the correct utf-8 chars. This could be pain and need some experience with phpmyadmin, export and import tables and find the proper chars. I have done it with my board and now I hope I have no problems again.

I use the following way: make a backup first! Close the board and do a testposting with all special chars do you use. then change the collation and do a second testposting You find this posting at the end of the ubbt_POSTS table. take a look at the posts and you see how your chars are stored. For example I write ae = ä , ue=ü in my post to identify the chars. Then I export the table, use notepad ++ as editor and do a search/replace for this chars, save it and import it again. It can be edited inside phpmyadmin to but I dont know the propper sql commands so I do it this way smile Works for me, my board now runs in utf-8 on all files. I write it down here too:
https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/261912/char-coding-utf-8-and-older-forums

All this happen only to old boards. In the past at one point new setups create the tables allready in utf-8 and this user dont know anything about our trouble

Last edited by Zarzal; 02/11/2019 11:05 AM.

my board: http://www.dragonclan-forum.de
my hobby: http://www.biker-reise.de
Ich kann bei Fragen zu UBBthreads in Deutsch weiterhelfen oder es zumindest versuchen