Development on UBB.threads was abandoned in 2009 when Rick sold UBBCentral and UBB.threads to UBBSystems, SD had been hired on to contribute security fixes and some feature additions, but until Isaac and I started development on 7.5.9+ in 2015 the product had seen little activity (there was a 2 year gap between 7.5.8 and 7.5.9).

Currently, a proxy to masquerade 3rd party non-HTTPS image attachments as a local HTTPS URL isn't planned at all; the time to develop, test, test security, and maintain a database would be quite cumbersome and would push the focus of what development time we have towards UBB.threads in directions that would be better focused elsewhere (such as compatibility with newer builds of PHP and MySQL, furthering web standards, UI cleanup, etc). A new tool would require parsing the database for 3rd party links, building a database of these links, writing a script to process new requests to those links, updating all previous posts for the parser, etc. Not to mention, a large (your forum is huge) forum would end up with a sizable database table to hold this additional content.

Our official stance on the matter is that the existing links in the database need to be updated, and 3rd party content reigned in (such as having users upload their images directly into their posts vs using 3rd party services, and forcing them to not have images in their signatures and to upload their avatars to your site vs hosting externally). If the 3rd party resource doesn't offer an HTTPS option, its their shortcoming.

Isaac's guide (the original post in this thread) was created to provide forum owners (who know what they're doing) with directions towards converting their forums to 100% HTTPS, anything outside of UBB.threads (such as user submitted content from 3rd party websites) falls under Step #6 of his guide:
Originally Posted by isaac
6) Update all external plugins to ensure they are HTTPS compliant (Sharaholic, Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, UBB Custom Tags, and, if your website contains non-UBB.threads content, all those internal site links - trust me you won't find them all in a single pass)

I'm not sure that anyone realizes that Isaac has donated his time to assist with the development of UBB.threads; UBBDev is contracted by UBBSystems to build one release per year, anything beyond that is complimentary and is done in our spare time. The new features you're all seeing are what we utilize on our own private forums, that we've issued out to the public (such as continued updates to my proxy/cdn user IP detection library, Stop Forum Spam, etc).

These forums are here, as they always have been, as a user to user discussion forum; the vendor (UBBSystems) does not generally frequent these forums. The only method of official support is through the UBBCentral support pages.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!