I don't know what to tell you anymore.
Way back when classic was active.
You had cgi and non cgi files to upload when you installed it.
The very same original folders are where you need to place the replacement scripts.
Even though they have the same name they have totally different content and purpose.
The originals were to run ubb classic. The replacements are only to redirect old url links to the new UBBThreads.
For the cgi scripts they need to be in a cgi enabled folder where classic was originally installed..

Plus when classic was created there were two different download zip files.
Because at the time Perl which runs cgi scripts , the paths could be installed from possibly two different locations on the server.
The first line was different. between the two variations.
There were like 4 files but in your case it should only be ultimatebb.cgi now.
Even though it looked like a comment it was not it was a hashbang.
It was either #!/usr/bin/perl or I recall it was #!/usr/bin or was it #!/usr/perl
I can't remember.
It all depends on you server install.

Today when you download the import classic zip there is only one variation (#!/usr/bin/perl)
Which may need to be edited depending on where Perl is installed on your server.

In case you don't know what Perl is, it is like php ,mysql is but it is to interpret and run .cgi files. usually installed by your host..
So you need to know your perl path. in advance and edit the various cgi files for the proper path to Perl.

I would suggest to verify the redirect scripts ultimatebb.cgi and ultimatebb.php are setup correctly , and in the proper locations is to give someone access to at least ftp.
Just to rule out at least this part.

Then as I said before the scripts are not perfect.
And have not been updated in many years.

They just don't have the priority they did 19 or so years ago. Since Classic went End of Life..
But it is still supported to a point but only for converting to UBBThreads.

Besides there is only one advocate of Classic that I know of and that is JAISP. .
He is a member here and he is the last die hard that I know of that used classic till just recently.
So he would probably be the best reference for classic.

Most all the members here moved on to UBBThreads many years ago.

I hope this was informative and helpful.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers