After my active link test on BritBike forum a member asked how it went. I gave him the link to this thread and he read it and made a few comments.
He informed me following.
It is common knowledge that forum users will add links to forum posts that will be subject to be broken by the ActiveText function.
Morgans note: It was not common knowledge to me but maybe for programmers.

Gizmo's wrote:
we're instructing PHP to replace all matches within the post body.
The member's comment is
This tells me that the PHP has been written to limit its text pattern search to the post "body" which is an HTML tag. So, if the search can be limited to <body>Content...</body>, it is clear that text within a link can be excluded. This should be a simple problem for a programmer to fix. PHP has all the tools to do this with the addition of a few lines of code that set up the search conditions.

Gizmo wrote:
The recommendation for you is to use a more broad set of keywords...

After thinking of this my (Morgan's) comment is that it's does not work. For example the motorcycle brand "Triumph" appear probably more than 250.000 times and it just does not work to have to combine it with another specific word. One should be able to post a link to www.triumph.com without it being corrupt.
The suggestion is to ask UBBCentral to address this as a bug that needs to be fixed.

If the Regex search can be limited to the BODY, Could it be be set to exclude links? or at least to count characters/letters/numbers so that
example word "Triumph" is not matched with "www.triumph.com" ???

It is my suggestion for coming version. Is it ok to suggest it here or should I write a new thread in the >>>Feedback & Suggestions forum?

My request is of course to UBBCentral..
I know that the Volunteer develop team is doing a fantastic and great job in all respect and which I am so thankful for.

Thanks for your service!!!

Last edited by Morgan; 02/27/2021 6:52 PM.

Morgan Johansson
BritBike Forum
https://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbthreads.php