Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#103658 12/11/2000 7:10 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Our ISP web administrator has requested that I disable our UBB Version 5.44a because of an on-going problem with "blank screens" and "Server returned no data" errors as reported in both MSIE and Netscape browsers.

http://www.62-65-dieselpage.com/cgi-bin/Ultimate.cgi

As it was explained to me, what is happening is the UBB is crashing their servers.

We have had this commercial version running since early March, and have had periodic problems described above all during this time. The situation has finally reached a point that it became intolerable.

Please let me know what can be done. I can provide the ISP admin e-mail address if you need it. He has agreed to discuss this problem with the makers of the software or their agent(s).

Jim Bigley

#103659 12/11/2000 7:32 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
It sounds like your web host's server is not up to handling your UBB. You should upgrade to 5.47b immediately, as it's much kinder to the server. Then start searching for a new web host...

------------------
Charles Capps, Moderator, Post-Install Troubleshooting
PLEASE NOTE: Due to time limitations, I do not provide UBB support via email.

#103660 12/11/2000 8:40 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I am an administrator at the web host mentioned in the previous reply. We run multi-processing load balanced servers which handle more than
1,000,000 hits a day. The servers load averages are less than 1.00 unless something is very wrong. When the UBB board is hit it causes the cgi
calls to zombie. These calls cause the apache process they were called from to block port 80 requests from getting to other apache children. We
run multiple UBB boards on these servers without incident. The UBB scripts used on this site have been in place for almost 10 months now. Only
the forum files and one of the configuration files have been modified since the time of install. What could be causing the scripts to start crashing
apache processes all of the sudden on multiple servers? Apache, nor any apache modules have not been upgraded.

thank you,

Franklin Marmon
Internet Connect Services
Missoula, MT 59808
800-755-1566

#103661 12/11/2000 10:01 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
How are the servers load balanced? The UBB does not work well over network shares.

Are the UBBs all recent (5.46 or above) versions?

------------------

#103662 12/12/2000 3:53 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
The servers are load balanced using a Foundry Networks layer 4 switch. The pages are served from an nfs file system.

#103663 12/12/2000 9:55 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
I've had the same problem with my ISP. Someone there told me certain CGI scripts were the problem and offered to fix them for us. We didn't take them up on it, because we were planning to switch providers.

We've been experiencing UBB crashes at least weekly for quite a while. We've totally outgrown our ISP anyway, so I decided to switch us to Open Topic.

Oh, we're running 5.47a.

[This message has been edited by LilRed (edited 12-12-2000).]

#103664 12/12/2000 10:43 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
The UBB does *NOT* do well on NFS. It does *NOT* use OS-provided file locks. It uses a semaphore file instead. OS-provided file locking is difficult enough, but semaphore files are NEVER reliable with NFS. I can not possibly urge you enough to STOP attempting to load balance the UBB. It is very likely that a good share of your lockup issues are being caused by NFS and the file locking methods.

------------------

#103665 12/12/2000 11:42 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
This problem sounds a little bit like the one I had:
http://www.scriptkeeper.com/ubb/Forum22/HTML/006230.html

The blank screen in MSIE and the "document contained no data" in Netscape happens most likely because the cgi terminated unexpected. I suppose you can check for the error message in the server log.

#103666 12/13/2000 1:28 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Charles,

Thank you, that post makes things alot clearer. Are there plans for new versions of UBB to support flock()?

Franklin Marmon
Internet Connect Services

#103667 12/13/2000 8:41 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
All we can do is hope - I doubt it will happen though. Flock's not exactly 100% cross-platform.

------------------

#103668 12/14/2000 3:11 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Successfully upgraded our forum to 5.47b, but it still produces "blank screens", which has been interpreted by our ISP admin to mean the server crashes.

They are planning to move the forum to a non-nfs server, which is hoped to resolve this problem.

Jim

#103669 12/14/2000 11:56 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
That might do the trick. Also ensure that, if there is no (or a very high) limit on resources that each CGI script can use...

------------------

#103670 01/06/2001 6:10 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
Just a followup:

The UBB was moved to and is running from a single web server. This appears to have solved the problem. We still experience blank pages from time to time, but for the most part, the forum operates as expected.

Thanks to all involved who provided input and solutions.

Jim Bigley

#103671 01/06/2001 9:26 PM
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
That's great to hear, Jim.

Keep us updated if things get screwy again.

------------------

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Version 7.7.5 Images suddenly not displaying
by Stovebolt - 05/04/2024 11:19 AM
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Who's Online Now
3 members (Stovebolt, ahmed047, Gizmo), 923 guests, and 152 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29