Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#166684 10/21/2006 12:06 AM
old hand
old hand
I have been running Threads for 6 years now and have been itching to upgrade to something more forward-leaning. I like a lot of what you have done with 7.0, but have a few questions:

1. I notice that the Portal Page is loaded as a page off of the ubbthreads directory . Is there anyway to have people see the portal page as my index page? In other words, when someone hits
Code
www.myforum.com 
I want them to see the Portal. Possible?

2. How "spider friendly" is 7.0? I get a fair amount of google-bots and others on my site now that crawl all over the place. As a result, my site is ranked #1 for a certain set of key words. Id hate to loose that.

3. I read in one of your posts that you were considering an integrated picture gallery. Any idea how far down the road that is? (I have both an integrated Gallery and Classifieds now which I would have to give up to move to 7.0. I could still have them, they just would not be integrated).

4. Does 7.0 have any provision for making Generic integrated off-forum pages? In other words, I have several pages that I've added to my site which use the same header/footer and styles as selected by my users. Can this be done easily with 7.0?

5. If I import from 6.5.1, will anything be lost? (attachments, avatars, user profile fields, private messages, etc). Just would like to have a feel for what might be lost from the current community.

Thanks,
Basil

(I'll probably think of another question as soon as I hit the Submit button).

Last edited by Basil; 10/21/2006 12:08 AM.
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Hi,

1) You can redirect this either within a vhost.conf or htaccess file - or create an index.php with

<?php
header("Location: http://www.yourdomain.co.uk/threads/index.php"); /* Redirect browser */

exit;

?>

If you already have an index.html in that root folder, just make sure the server reads index.php first smile

2) Can't comment as I haven't checked yet - but it looks good so far - not sure how others have found it.

3) In the next version or two - photopost works well with ubbt7 at the moment - and hopefully Rick will have an import available (he hopes wink )

4) Yes you should have no problems

5) Everything should be there - however you might need to alter paths and manually copy over images if your forums are located in a new sub-directory. Or build your new site in a new directory, then when you are happy copy it to your existing directory overwriting the the files (not forgetting to alter the paths in the config files)

Hope that helps - I am sure Rick or one of the others will correct me if I am wrong, or expand upon any answers.

Ian #166716 10/21/2006 4:54 AM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
the best way is to follow Ian's sugguestion of the header redirect on a php page.

I get a huge chunk of my traffic from google; I've done a lot of checks of the spider compatability and it looks great, the only improvement i can hope for in the future is a "fake .html extention" like UBB.C had... Though keep in mind us UBBDever's partially a reason Infopop/Groupee does short urls now adays hehe...

For now we're working on bugs, so it'll be likely that it'll be a couple of months until 7.1 gets out... I'm sure the picture gallery and newer features will come in each full release, but we'll all be on the lookout...

I can't really comment on the others as I'm not a .t6 user...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
3 members (rootman, Gizmo, Nightcrawler), 562 guests, and 186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29