|
|
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 44
newbie
|
|
newbie
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 44 |
I got an email from one of our forum users: The host from which you are accessing the board is not recognized as a valid host. This is more than likely related to a firewall issue that is blocking the referer variable. Check your firewall settings and try again.
Please use your back button to return to the previous page. I have Zone Alarm firewall but I don't see where these variables would be changed. Any suggestions on how best to help this person? I'm not sure what to tell her, and I don't really like to say "it's not our problem" if I don't have to. Thanks, Tracy
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 346
enthusiast
|
|
enthusiast
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 346 |
The problem is the firewall is blocking the HTTP_REFERER from being sent to the forums. They need to add your forums to their trusted sites, or disable the firewall.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 44
newbie
|
|
newbie
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 44 |
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,533 Likes: 150
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,533 Likes: 150 |
OR they can simply (in most cases) disable the option in their firewall that blocks the HTTP_REFERRER variable
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659 Likes: 1
Pooh-Bah
|
|
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659 Likes: 1 |
One of my members got the same error. I just asked him how he fixed it and he said: If the person is using Symantec/Norton Privacy Control (which is a part of the larger Security Suite) then they have to add the [site URL] to the list of websites, and then adjust the settings accordingly, such as allowing cookies to be set, etc. so that it works.
Again, I'm a bit surprised this came up, since I've never had a problem with a message board and my firewall until this new version of the BB, so it must be the UBB software causing a problem. Maybe that'll help, too... good luck!
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242 Likes: 1
Former Developer
|
|
Former Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 9,242 Likes: 1 |
We're actually pretty much the only forum software that does this check is why they wouldn't have seen this before  It's a cheap check to make sure the post is actually being submitted from the newpost/newreply scripts and not from somewhere else.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,533 Likes: 150
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,533 Likes: 150 |
yeh I generally hear of this error from some Zone Alarm users, but majorly from Symantic users.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 490 Likes: 2
Addict
|
|
Addict
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 490 Likes: 2 |
I remember having a problem with this when using Norton. I just reinstalled my system and switched to Kaspersky, and I haven't had any trouble sending posts on Threads boards any more.
Btw, isn't there a CP option to switch off the referer check?
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,533 Likes: 150
|
|
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,533 Likes: 150 |
I believe there is, but why nerf security?
|
|
|
|
0 members (),
469
guests, and
123
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
|