Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M Offline
Changing the email address in your profile should require to verify that email again, like it is done on registration. Just imagine someone registers with a valid address, validates it and then changes it to something else. Then the initial validation has no value any more.

##eek##
Agreed! That's a HUGE hole. Please apply validation to changed email addresses Rick!

Stress the system until it breaks. Hey.. it works for Spacecraft.. why not here?

UBB since 1999: MonteCarloSS.com
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
would be nice - also ensures that the user has entered a valid address, and not made a typo.

M
stranger
stranger
M Offline
This is a great idea.... however I'm sure Gizmo will find a reason why it sucks!!! smile

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
LOL Motley wink

If this is true, then this is a bug IMHO

GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 5.6.40 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 (was 5.6.41-84.1) / Apache 2.4.54
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
The registration email is always kept, so while it currently doesn't display..it used to but must have got lost in the version 7 changes, it is always in the database. But yeah, it's probably a good idea if we make them reverify.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I think reverification is a good idea actually Motley wink...

My "I think it sucks" on some feature request is simply comparing the request for a feature towards the global userbase vs what should be a modification for a select few from UBBDev...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
M
stranger
stranger
M Offline
I've been using UBB since around '98. I used several other scripts before finding the classic UBB script. I loved the move over to PHP even though the CGI version had a lot of features the PHP script lacked. Over the years UBB Threads has come a long way and I love the newest version, I just wish a few features where a little more developed.

In all the years of using UBB I've made two suggestions, both of which where arrogantly dismissed by your replies.

The first idea was to make life simpler for admin and mods by giving the users a bit of control over their private forums. Not a huge feature request but one that seemed to have been offered before based on your response. The last request, and I mean last request, was for some functionality that is built into a lot of other calendar scripts. Having event types and custom fields is not revolutionary, some of my other ideas for the calendar might have been but you didn't comment on those.

So no more feature requests from me, God forbid upsetting the balance of the global userbase by making a suggesting. It is kind of ironic though.... 8 years ago the "global userbase" was all CGI.... very little demand for PHP scripts... where is the classic version of UBB now?

Content Islands, user verification, topic watching, RSS syndication, censoring tools and even the calendar feature are very important features to some users and completely useless to other users. Right now, the calendar is one of those useless features for all my sites. I'd love to use it instead of buying another script or paying for a hack that has to be reworked after each upgrade. But from now on I'll keep quiet and realize that this section for feature requests is not for me.... being one of the "select few" as you put it.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I'm not sure where that's coming from, but as far as I can tell, everyone who replied in this thread thinks you have a great idea. In fact, I called it a bug, not a suggestion.

I'm not a newb to UBB, been paying for Classic for over 5 years. (I've been in "this" biz, tho, for over 11 years). It's served me well, and has always worked great. Threads 7.0 has even more features, and I switched over. It's great! *Perfect* for everyone? No. But, as any new software, it's not "final" -- ever.

As far as I can tell from this BB, which I'm quite new at, BTW, is that you have the developer's (Rick's) ear *always* -- he reads everything, and then prioritizes accordingly. You think I haven't made a dozen suggestions that *I* need that went unanswered? Of course I have. Everyone has. And you're right - everyone thinks that *their* needs are the most important. (I do! :lol: ) But we gotta be patient.... there's *1* guy running the show.

But NO ONE here, as far as I know, is purposely rude to anyone's suggestions. So, I'm not sure where that rant came from. :/

Edit: Okay, I just realized you didn't start this thread. So now I gotta wonder why you posted that in someone else's wink

Last edited by jgeoff; 11/11/2006 3:09 AM.

GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 5.6.40 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 (was 5.6.41-84.1) / Apache 2.4.54
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Motley - both of your ideas were great - my users wanted a similar voted in type of forum at one point - so it is something that could be used by some.

Your calendar ideas are good as well - especially the 'day in history' and the ability for events to be listed in writing on the home page - this latter idea would look good and would enable users to see at a glance forthcoming events. Although you might want an option to hide birthday's from such a listing.

Keep your ideas coming smile

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Dearest Motley,

I'm sorry you feel that I'm dismissing your posts, in no way was I attemtping to; I was stating that the features you've requested to have a good use for some, however they'd generally be built as a modification at UBBDev far faster than they would be a stock feature in the UBB... Keep in mind that UBB7 has one developer (Rick), UBBDev has several people who've been dedicated to adding features (via modifications and addon's) to the UBB for years (think back to the UBB Code Hackers hangout).

I wasn't calling you any names nor was I shrugging you off, I was attempting to help you get the features you want NOW versus waiting for them to be pushed into a stock release... I appologize if I came off otherwise...

Once again, I appologize if you feel I came off as a "know it all" (or a couple bad words that would probably be caught by the filter), I was simply stating that UBBDev is a place that people build modifications to the base code to incorporate features that people want in NOW versus just sitting as a feature request... If you'll notice, I only make sugguestions for people to go to UBBDev (or from UBBDev to here) for features that I think will be of value in the future in one way or another (either as a feature to everyone, or as a guide on how to do certain things with the code).

The added sections into the calendar especially caught my eye, my sugguestion about using the comments section for the extended information was about why the comments section where added for most admin uses, adding a few more table cells and a few more sections into the code shouldn't be that hard of a modification, but again it would be a modification and UBBDev would be the best place to get this done on an immediate basis...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
M
stranger
stranger
M Offline
Edit: Okay, I just realized you didn't start this thread. So now I gotta wonder why you posted that in someone else's

I know... not the best place for a rant.... it was just in response to Gizmo.

Sorry.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Version 7.7.5 Images suddenly not displaying
by Stovebolt - 05/04/2024 11:19 AM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,144 guests, and 193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29