Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
T Offline
I have had a report that whenever a particular logged in user clicks "search", the system logs them out and then tells them "you must be logged in" to search.

I only have this report from this one person, but I know this particular user and can't imagine he is doing something really stupid to get this to happen.

Can anyone help?

Last edited by Rick; 12/03/2006 12:50 PM.
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
It'll sound dumb, are they accessing your site through:
http://yoursite.tld

or
http://www.yoursite.tld

I ask because I think the search forum sends the search to the www version of your site and they may not be logged into the www version (as the "www" on your domain is meerely a subdomain the cookie would be set on whatever url they logged in on).

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
T
T Offline
Ah. Interesting. That sounds a bit weird, and it'd be really nice if this could somehow be corrected; but I will ask the user. I would guess that's the problem!

Thanks for the reply. :-)

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
It can be corrected, set your .htaccess file up to forward users accessing yoru site without "www" to "www" so all users access your forums the same way.

It is intended behavior however that it not function this way, as it's a security issue with cookies (as cookies should not spread over differant domain names, otherwise you could see even more issues).

I'll post something later on about how to configure apache to forward url requests to another url, probably in the chitchat forum or something.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Hmm, but I thought www was supposed to be "phased out" slowly down the line...? I forget where I read that a while back. Why can't Search perform in the same domain as the user current is using? Because I have links to both www and not out there. However, I notice that when logging in to my site without the www, upon logging in it gets switched to www anyway...

GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 5.6.40 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 (was 5.6.41-84.1) / Apache 2.4.54
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I've never heard of "www being phaised out" before; it's a subdomain and i've never heard of a server not supporitng it...

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Also, its not the search that logs people out, its that the search uses the hardcoded domain as specified in the configuration file (as far as i can tell by pure speculation; so where user is logged into yoursite.tld theh search uses www.yoursite.tld where the user has not logged into...

I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
The problem is most people think that www is part of the domain name. As Gizmoi says it is just a sub-domain - personally I think it is one of the big mistakes of the internet and should never have been included.

Why? Because if you have a genuine sub-domain of say http://news.bbc.co.uk people will try to put www. before it, simply because 'all websites have to have it - don't they?'

Maybe a better option is to redirect all www.domain.tld requests to domain.tld.

Ian #168761 11/22/2006 6:01 AM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
'eh to each their own on what they *want* to work; just saying it's common of why things *don't* work wink...

And yeh, when I tell my mom "it's stats.yourdomainname" she responds "I'm at www.stats.mydomainname and its not working" :/

Gizmo #169613 12/03/2006 12:49 PM
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Ok, the main issue is there were a few FULL_URL references laying around in some of the scripts/templates. I've gone through everything and changed them all to BASE_URL. So, if you're on http://domain.com you'll stay on http://domain.com and not get redirected to http://www.domain.com (unless you have an actual redirect in place that is wink )

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gizmo, 1 invisible), 727 guests, and 159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29