Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#170075 12/10/2006 6:17 PM
Under which section of 'styles' should I place changes to the scroll bar colors?

ex.<STYLE>
BODY {SCROLLBAR-HIGHLIGHT-COLOR: #739f88; SCROLLBAR-3DLIGHT-COLOR: #ece8ec; SCROLLBAR-ARROW-COLOR: #666666; SCROLLBAR-DARKSHADOW-COLOR: #739f88; SCROLLBAR-BASE-COLOR: #cbd4cb}
</STYLE>

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
It would be the body section (General -> Body).

It should be noted however that the scrollbar color css isn't valid css and will only work under browsers that don't care about validity (such as IE).

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I know you don't like IE Gizmo, but actually if you think about it from a Marketing point it's actually smart of Microsoft.

They have over 300 Million users of IE. Of those 300+ Million users only say maybe 1% or so actually have a clue about browsers and the Web in general.

So, is it better to ignore the error and present the data anyways, or just STOP and halt operation because someone didn't code their page to the "standard".

Windows XP has millions of lines of code dedicated to watching other applications and the user to make sure the "experience" is not as negative to the user as it otherwise would be.
If everyone coded properly and XP was only used by Techs then they could remove millions of lines of code and speed XP way up, but that's not the case as we all know.

Mozilla does not adhere to the "released standards" 100% either.

Here is a bit dated article, but still true today.
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/oreilly/news/tyranny_1200.html

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
My before comment that the scrollbar css doesn't work in other browsers was to inform everyone that, if you're trying to make your site appear the same to all users regardless of their browser, that the scrollbar elements won't show up for browsers other than IE.

To respond to your comments, Iit's not that I don't like IE, its that they don't follow standards that are not theirs to re-invent; most of the standards microsoft takes upon themselves to "re-invent" have been established and are maintained by non-proffit organizations that where created just to work on these standards...

I'm not saying that Opera or Mozilla are perfect either, by all means no one can be, especially a company. I'm simply saying that M$ has the track record of re-inventing everything.

Think of it from a designer standpoint, you want your site to look the same for every browser, this is impossible for the element that Microsoft invents out of the blue, as other browsers follow strict standards based by these non-proffit international organizations.

I'm not saying IE sucks (well, it does for me, but to each their own) my grype is that they don't follow standards which does hurt some users (as some invalid elements can effect some non-visual browsers for impaired users).

It's mine, and a lot of others, viewpoint that companies need to try their best to adhere to these standards as not all users can use one browser, or even one operating system, may it be due to funding (windows is quite expensive) or may it be because they're visually impaired and need the aid of a "reader" browser or "braille" browser (which are pretty neat if you've had the chance to see one).

It should also be noted that when standards are built and maintained RFC's are created so it's easy to understand what one can and cannot do outside of official documentation. You can find RFC's for anything from HTML to TCP/IP.

Last edited by Gizmo; 12/11/2006 1:23 AM.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted by Gizmo
"braille" browser (which are pretty neat if you've had the chance to see one).

(italics mine) Couldn't help but get a little chuckle from that. wink

As for IE - I don't hate it that much. I just hate how it's more unreliable and less secure and way behind all the time in features -- and prone to way more crashes and system instability -- than others. Truthfully, I wish we didn't have to worry about multiple browsers, but we do. crazy

I used to use colored scrollbars on one site, and didn't care if they didn't show up in non-IE browsers. It's just eye candy (cheesy or not). Site functionality matters the most. And as far as I'm concerned, sites function better when adhering to standards than using proprietary code like IE. Before Firefox got popular, many top-level sites just didn't even WORK. Luckily, things have gotten a little better. But there's still a lot of work to be done....

GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 5.6.40 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 (was 5.6.41-84.1) / Apache 2.4.54
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Version 7.7.5 Images suddenly not displaying
by Stovebolt - 05/04/2024 11:19 AM
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 795 guests, and 149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29