Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#170275 12/14/2006 3:41 PM
J
journeyman
journeyman
J Offline
can someone give me advice to setting up a subscription fee on a ubbthreads forum?

I need to setup a site to only show a few forums until a person sends me money, then I can upgrade there level of access to see all the forums. I know how to do this with just the basic commands of ubbthreads but is there more here that I am not thinking of?

Would a user be able to share there username with there friends and be able to cheat the system?

Can you limit a person on there bandwidth or photo/video download usage also?

Is there anything out there that I can get ideas from or a hack to make things better?

Any input would help!
thanks,

janitor #170283 12/14/2006 8:20 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Future versions of the UBB will have some payment features built in, however I'm unsure of if or when Rick will have the time to contemplate a version to work on with this.

As for the limiting of bandwidth or downloads, thats a bit beyond the scope I think, theres no real way to monitor if a user finished a download and the file system built into the forums just logs how many times a file has been downloaded versus who did the deed...

I'd immagine any "full" user could share their username and password with their friends, but onlyt hat username woudl be able to post; it'd happen must about anywhere with member area access, and is quite common and there isn't any way of stopping it unles syou where to monitor the account for access from various ip's.

I'm hoping that we'll have some sort of basic built in gallery by 7.2 in which there may or may not be some sort of payment module built into the UBB; this would allow for various usergroups to be able to have more access to sections than the standard "users" group.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #170289 12/14/2006 9:33 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Agreed that it is way beyond the scope of UBB or any BBS software I know of to handle that sort of request.

It can be accomplished I'm sure with PHP and MySQL but it would be more purpose built than just a BBS.

You would probably allow multiple downloads from the same user and same IP but would want or need to check for different IP connections and track all of it. As for a guarantee that a file was successfully downloaded you would need something installed on the client to verify that. Having such control via no installed software and just access through a browser is probably not achievable.

Gizmo #170295 12/15/2006 1:39 AM
J
journeyman
journeyman
J Offline
Thank you guys for the reply,

I can see the bandwidth option not happening,

a module or billing class for the user acount may not work either if a person can still share names/passwords.

I used ESOFT TBBS, the old dialup dos computers (back in the day)lol smile

2 more questions?

1) who is for hire out there if I need some help making my site look better, as in flash etc... ?

2) can I make my system just send a new password by email once every specified amount of days, this could be a easy answer to the name/password giveaway, maybe the sharing idea with friends would eventually get annoying for some.

thanks for all your input!

janitor #170297 12/15/2006 2:18 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
who is for hire out there if I need some help making my site look better, as in flash etc... ?

Thousands of people for that (I'm not one of them though as I have trouble drawing a stick man) wink

I know a couple guys for the Flash/Graphics but normally you don't often find someone that is "good" at coding and is also "good" at graphics etc. I suppose there are some people, but a lot of them "think" they are but they're not.

I'm sure someone here can help with coding for hire and possibly for the graphics as well. If no one speaks up I can give you information for someone to do flash and graphics.

ntdoc #170299 12/15/2006 2:44 AM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

Ehh, for the past 11+ (hmm, actually 23+ on/off) years I've figured chit out on my own... so I guess I'm not an "expert" at anything - but - can figure chit out when need be... lol

(Okay, well, I think I'm an "expert" at improving things... I just can't start them from scratch... wink )

GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 5.6.40 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 (was 5.6.41-84.1) / Apache 2.4.54
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
jgeoff #170312 12/15/2006 4:29 AM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
You can hire a bunch of ubbers, including myself and allen, both of us are proficient in CSS so shouldn't be too difficult; although he just had a baby so i'm not sure of how much time he has (although I seem to have a bunch lol).

I don't like using flash too much, in fact, I don't know how to use it too much; but I do know that using it for navigatin can be bad as not all users use flash, and robots can't crawl them; so always be sure to use a sitemap if you use flash for navigation systems.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Version 7.7.5 Images suddenly not displaying
by Stovebolt - 05/04/2024 11:19 AM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 719 guests, and 142 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29