Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#171355 12/28/2006 9:54 AM
M
M Offline
Question: What are my options for archiving threads? All I can think of is to manually create a separate table and move threads there via SQL commands. I've tried searching on stuff related to archiving, and the best I've come up with is people agreeing that it'd be a good idea! smile But no proven method of actually how to accomplish it!?

Background: I've recently had my site blocked because, according to the host, the site was overloading their (shared) server due to SQL queries taking too long to execute. We're not a super-busy site, the average users concurrently hitting the forums would be around 10-20!? So news that we're overloading came as a surprise to me.

They claim that reducing the size of the database will reduce the execution time of queries. Our total database size is around the 130 MB mark, which I don't consider to be that large and so I really don't feel like archiving. But if push came to shove, I need to consider a way of reducing the size of the Posts table. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Other stuff: This isn't the first time we had our host pull the plug on us, so I'm considering switching providers. We're on a shared host, because the pricing suits us (we're a non-commercial video game fan site). Without having any kind of feedback or metrics available, I find that I'm totally in the dark when it comes to finding the right host for us. Apart from physical disk space requirements, I have no idea what kind of resources I require of a host. Is there a way for me to determine this?

Another option is to remain with the current host, but switch to a dedicated server, but this costs more and so is undesirable.

UBB.t version: 6.5.x
Site URL: http://virtuafighter.com (currently down at the time of posting!)

Myke #171385 12/28/2006 3:50 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
130 MB for a database is actually small. The method of searching in 6.5x is different and can tax the resources more perhaps but there is something more going on then meets the eye I'd think.

I've been using this site for 3 years now. Not cheap but has been a good host provider for me.

http://midphase.com/html_files/hosting_plan.php

They say that MySQL can be up to the size of my space which is 35GB

You probably don't have access to actually run some MySQL commands to maybe re-index or repair possible issues on your database.

If you upgrade to the new UBBT 7.x it uses the MySQL FULLTEXT search that when fully and properly implemented returns from a search for me with about 400MB of post data and 9 years in about 1 second.

So an upgrade in board software might be another option, but seems your host provider is really the one being a whiner about it and you might be better off switching.

ntdoc #171386 12/28/2006 4:00 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Just saw this on their site in case you do want to take it for a test drive.

Refer a friend to us, and give them 3 months free. This offer is only valid for new customers, and for the Mega-PHASE & Pro-PHASE plans. All they have to do is go to our order form, and enter the coupon code: Exclusive2 to receive three months for free.test

ntdoc #171403 12/28/2006 7:25 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I do agree that 130mb in a db is small, quite small, i've seen well over a gig in a database that runs like a fox...

I'd recommend a new host; generally I like to push out VPS' for people as you get the resources for your sites, and your sites alone, guarenteed to you.

I've heard good things on:
webintellects.com (allen uses them)
powervps.com (i've used them)

The threads discussing ways of archiving are generally feature sugguestions, but I think I'm going to spark a thread over at the beta site for this as well.

Last edited by Gizmo; 12/28/2006 7:26 PM.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #171413 12/28/2006 7:52 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
No doubt a VPS is great but typically way out of the price range for most people. If you're a business making money okay, but for an enthusiast running a board and not making any real money it is quite expensive.

ntdoc #171430 12/28/2006 8:37 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
It varies provider to provider and what resources you need; most start around $30/mo, some can be $100+/mo

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #171438 12/28/2006 9:29 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
$30/month and you probably won't have what they already have.

Don't get me wrong I think they're great, but as you pointed out in another post, most people that come here are not at that level.

$30 a month for running a freebie board is quite a bit of money to me laugh

Though prices are getting cheaper all the time.

ntdoc #171455 12/28/2006 9:54 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
But some forums are well larger than what shared hosts will allow on their servers wink

Gizmo #171468 12/28/2006 10:11 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
LOL yeah I think Suzie is in that boat right now wink

Cheapskate whiners - Try to squeeze ever dime out of every customer instead of offering real opportunities for them.

Then again, if Suzie is making at least some money off of her site then perhaps a dedicated site would be fantastic choice for her. (in other topic) but Myke here doesn't sound like he is in that position.

Last edited by ntdoc; 12/28/2006 10:11 PM.
ntdoc #171476 12/28/2006 10:28 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I'm on an overloaded vps, i need to migrade eventually to another provider

Gizmo #171478 12/28/2006 10:38 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by Gizmo
I'm on an overloaded vps, i need to migrade eventually to another provider

Yeah most providers don't tell you that either and if you don't know the technology you can get screwed too.

As in this example here they give all the details and if you look at the bottom the entire HOST has 4GB of RAM which is then allotted to each web host vps client. So you may get 128MB, 256, 512 who knows as they don't state it there. The same thing as too many hosts on other plans can happen here to. You can have too many VPS that then run the system out of resources too as it becomes to busy I/O wise or CPU get slammed.

Best of the Best is 100% full real/true server but dang is that expensive.

ntdoc #171484 12/28/2006 10:57 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
use a reputable provider, you can check up on providers on webhostingtalk for example; people review everyones services wink

Also, its good to take and look at what people who use your applications use; for instance Allen and I wink

Gizmo #171488 12/28/2006 11:11 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
use a reputable provider, you can check up on providers on webhostingtalk for example; people review everyones services

Yeah I've done that before in the past and still got burned by some site. Everyone said oh they were great and all, I signed up and dang it was dismal. Had to change to another one that same month.

Just difficult to get honest non biased answers for this stuff (imho) Not easy to separate the wheat from the chaff.

ntdoc #171489 12/28/2006 11:16 PM
M
M Offline
Originally Posted by ntdoc
Then again, if Suzie is making at least some money off of her site then perhaps a dedicated site would be fantastic choice for her. (in other topic) but Myke here doesn't sound like he is in that position.

This is correct. We're a small/modest community when it comes to size, so making any kind of money doesn't even factor into the equation. Going to a dedicated server seems like it's overkill for me, especially considering our small-ish database.

But again, I don't know enough about what real resources I require of a host to be able to shop or decide objectively and wisely. Maybe we do need a dedicated solution? Or maybe there are better shared host providers out there?

Thanks for your replies so far.

At this stage, I think I'm inclined to upgrade to the latest ubb.t version and see how that goes.

Myke #171491 12/28/2006 11:22 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
a dedicated server is overkill and way too much for most people, a VPS on the otherhand should suit nicely for the community.

Gizmo #171529 12/29/2006 6:46 AM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Wow... did some searching after these VPS discussions.

There are some cheap solutions out there. May or may not be good, but they're cheap overall.

$5.99 a month for cheapo VPS
http://www.smokyhosts.com/vps.php

With prices like that I might have to give it a try.

ntdoc #171584 12/29/2006 7:01 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Keep some things in mind...
1. Are you capable of running without a control panel? (some VPS' come without such luxury, the cheaper of them anyway)
2. How much ram will you need dedicated to your site? Burstable? (we use like 384 dedicated ram and 1024 burstable)
3. How much disk space will you need? (I host several of my sites on one vps account, so i need about 10gb)
4. How much BW do you need? (200gb is about average, some go much, much higher)

The list goes on and on and on lol...

Gizmo #171585 12/29/2006 7:06 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
lol with my "standard" custimizations to their signup, my order was $30.99

Gizmo #171593 12/29/2006 8:24 PM
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Still a LOT cheaper than it was just a year ago. Similar specs would cost you $200+ back then.

Oh I hear you on the other things but for many small / regular boards that is quite acceptable probably.

I'm not sure if I could manage all the junk without a panel or not. I'd like to think I could, but they sure make it easy .

ntdoc #171633 12/30/2006 1:16 AM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
The one I was looking at on powervps was only $30 or so; in fact, i would highly advise against going over $50 for one unless you where getting 512mb dedicated memory burstable to 4gb with 50gb disk space lol

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Geoff), 1,124 guests, and 219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29