Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
According to my host company, MySQL database is WAY OVER its quota: disclaimer--I'm utterly clueless about SQL ... I really have no idea how it works, etc.

Anyway, I'm trying to get my community to go in and delete the PMs that regenerated with the conversion; I've deleted members who registered in 2002/2003 but never posted (will continue with this--but man, the # of members went from over 8000 to just over 6000! laugh -- I liked the deal with Classic where I could delete inactive members, but the member totals remained the same tongue ); and I have my admin people deleting old posts.

The trouble with the last part is that I don't want to delete too much. I like having a *history* of my site.

My host company suggested that I achive the older posts into .html formatting--i.e. to move them from the SQL server to my web storage server (again, I'm clueless on the difference!). GREAT IDEA, but how do I do it?! LOL

Also, they said that maybe I can delete tables from the import process that are no longer needed. Um, again, how do I know what's no longer needed?

---

I would like to get this cleared up ASAP before they start to shut me down or take action on their end ... or force me to find a new host.

Any advice/help would be greatly appreciated--especially with archiving stuff in .html format.

Thanks!

~Sue
adwoff.com

H
Addict
Addict
H Offline
Sue, if space has already become an issue, I'd consider getting more from your current host or find another host with the room to grow.

I also wouldn't mind knowing which tables and data could be deleted safely. There's also the option of optimizing your tables to take out the inbetween dead spaces that aren't being used by the board, but are still adding to the total being used.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
If you can't get a reasonable upgrade from your host there are thousands of them out there.

I've been using this one for the past 3 years. Midphase.com hosted out of Chicago, Ill.

http://midphase.com/html_files/hosting_plan.php

I just spoke with the support tech and he says that the MySQL space is only limited to your available disk space which is currently at either 25GB or 35GB depending on plan. There is a Windows plan as well but much less space for price.

The cheaper plan allow 1 MySQL database and the bigger Pro plan allows 3 MySQL databases.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Sue,

Just saw this on their site in case you do want to take it for a test drive.

http://midphase.com/index.php

Refer a friend to us, and give them 3 months free. This offer is only valid for new customers, and for the Mega-PHASE & Pro-PHASE plans. All they have to do is go to our order form, and enter the coupon code: Exclusive2 to receive three months for free.test

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Easy suzie, if they're going to freak out over a loyal customer using MySQL for what it's for, move elsewhere... Even a VPS would be a good idea (as there is no one to tell you what resources you can and cannot use; I recommend WebIntellects.com or PowerVPS.com).

Likely your database is using what, 150 or so mb? If they're complaining, they want you down around 20mb, which will be the majority of your content.

A lot of hosts don't like users using mysql, they have it in their mind that it can be a hog on resources, which is dead wrong (well, miss configured scripts it'll be right, but still).

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Originally Posted by Gizmo
Likely your database is using what, 150 or so mb? If they're complaining, they want you down around 20mb, which will be the majority of your content.

Well, FWIW, this is what my host company sent me:

Your present MySQL usage is at 1.05GB This is about 600MB over quota.

With some of the pruning we've done (taken out nonsense posts, members who haven't been active in a LONG time), we're down to 850 MB.

How big do MySQL databases normally run?

~Sue
adwoff.com

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Cox Communications - the fourth largest cable-television provider in the United States, has more than 3,600 tables and two billion rows of data in their databases and handles approximately two million inserts every hour.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MySQL

Think you just need a new provider. I'd start looking around.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
That in all honesty is an average sized forum using this type of system Suzieque...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Originally Posted by Gizmo
That in all honesty is an average sized forum using this type of system Suzieque...

The 850 mb? Or the 600 they want me to get to?

Also, how is it that it'd be okay to have, let's say, 35 G of one kind of database vs. let's say 600 MB of the SQL?

Final question, these other sites you've mentioned--how much space do they allot for MySQL?

I'd hate to have to make a switch--I've been with this host for more than 5 1/2 years ... but my board is like my baby (albeit, a BIG BABY! LOL)

Also, is there a way to change some of the SQL data to .html for archive purposes? That way I'd have the best of both worlds--my older posts and a lean, clean board. smile

~Sue
adwoff.com

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
A "good" host has no MySQL limit; a "good" hosts allows you to share your actual webspace with your MySQL space.

As for pruning content, no matter what you prune to, you'll have to prune to again; it'll be a never-ending cycle.

And average for a large community using a business-class forum software (such as UBB and others) is about couple of gigs.

No, UBB.Threads has no such archiving process at this time.

Also, on a VPS you'd have X ammount of server space, to use as you wish, may it be through MySQL or HTML; its like having your very own server, only shared with a handful of others versus a boatload of others (like at a sharedhost)

I was afraid you'd say that, Gizzy!

*sigh*

What kind of headaches are involved with moving an entire site to a new host/server?!

*gulp*

~Sue
adwoff.com

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Even Wikipedia actually runs on MySQL as well.

As shown by the links I provided (and most providers now days I'm sure have similar) you get up to 35GB of disk space to use how you want, and traffic also matters when you get larger.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
It's not too hard to move a site; if you feel uncomfortable with it you could hire a developer (like myself) to do it for you.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Generally speaking the new host provider will help you do everything. If they won't then look else where, but most will.

The size of your data though is a time consuming issue where they might not be quite as helpful. They are more used to moving sites of very little size.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Hi Sue,

If you're making any money from your site to pay for it a Virtual Private Server might be a real good choice.

Just make sure whomever you chose that it too is not bogged down with too many VPS.

Find out how much RAM / CPU is dedicated to your virtual private server and not just the overall amount on the system. As with normal hosting if there are too many on the system it will start to lag in performance.

This is NOT an endorsement by me but just for an example of looking at what is offered in this area.

http://www.westhost.com/package-compare.html

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Just an FYI as I don't recall the link to your site Sue, but I was just on a site a few moments ago and here are there statistics

Our members have made a total of 1,242,949 posts
We have 64,181 registered members
Most users ever online was 12,418 on Dec 20 2006, 07:15 PM

As I recall your site is pretty busy as well so it might be worth it to you to maybe have someone with great MySQL and PHP skills create a custom archiving solution for you to archive data or present in other formats so that it is pretty much push button easy for you to run when you want to.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Doh... finding your site link was as easy as looking at your profile blush

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by ntdoc
Doh... finding your site link was as easy as looking at your profile blush
:falls over backwards laughing:

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Sue,

Here are a couple links to assist you since I've been looking again tonight. I need a new site for a new board anyways.

One of the links is from Gizmo

Some good articles to read to help you in your search for a new provider.
http://whreviews.com/

Lists / Links of providers
http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=45

This offer is better than the one I'm currently on eek
http://www.lunarpages.com/basic-hosting/

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Let me chime in that it's not my site, its simply a site i link to and mention a lot :x

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 471 guests, and 191 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29