Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Addict
Addict
I have about 400 forums and went through by hand activating an RSS feed for each one. I set my personal low carb forum to renew every 5 minutes for testing purposes, and set all other forums to generate every 30 minutes.

My low carb forum generates properly and reliably. However NO other forum is creating their RSS files. They were generating RSS feeds back on the 10th when I'd set up a few to start testing - and I have two that generated on the 12th when I began adding more - but only the low carb one has updated since the 12th. I have definitely added new topics to other forums since the 12th. All forums are set to show new topics only, to show 3 of them, in the last 30 minutes, with zero body.

Any ideas? This is really key for us, it was the main reason that I held off this long to upgrade, because content islands are so critical for our main website.

Lisa Shea, owner, BellaOnline.com
BellaOnline Website
BellaOnline Forums - UBB since Apr 2002 - 58,000 members / 850,000 posts
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Could you try updating the cache time of one of the others to say 15 and test that to ensure they are indeed not functioning properly? It's odd that some would work and others wouldn't, which leads me to think it may be due to a cache time issue.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Addict
Addict
I just set the computer gaming (another one of my forums) to 10 minutes. It's not updating. I tried turning it off and saving it, then turning it on and saving it.

BellaOnline Website
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Hmm, try checking the chmod on the files in your forum/cache/ directory, they SHOULD be (I think) 666 (if not, they may be 644 if the files are owned by the apache user)

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Addict
Addict
This isn't a UNIX system, it's a Windows system. The folder is definitely open for writing - files are being written to it. Just not all the files that should be.

I just checked and now I have 3 XML files in there with dates of yesterday and today - 221 (low carb), 9 (fish) and 379 (RV). I didn't touch Fish or RV at *all* after the initial creation so there's no reason that those should start working and others not be working.

For example forum 24 (body art) had a brand new thread begun yesterday at 5:45pm, but it doesn't have a file for this ... there's no file 24 at all in the cache directory, to even check permissions on.

BellaOnline Website
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Ahh, I'm not a windows guy so I'm not sure what to tell you other than wait for NTDoc or Rick to stumble in... they should in the morning wink

Addict
Addict
It's just odd to me that with 400 forums in there, that only 3 have been updated. Is it because 99% of those 400 forums are set to update every 30 minutes - is having 398 forums all activating at the 30 minute mark making it give up on most of them? You would think that my changing the computer gaming forum to a shorter timer would then mean it updated properly, even if the others continued to jam ...

BellaOnline Website
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
you may try spreading them out a bit... no offence, but i've never seen a board so large to be able to guess what could be overlaoded (or even if it's overloaded)

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
What you can try to do is just totally empty out the cache directory, then go back in and clear the cache, so they are forced to be rebuilt and see if they continue to build beyond that.

I would suggest staggering at least some of them or once every half hour it will be a bit rough on the server as they will all be rebuilt at the same time.

Addict
Addict
OK this is definitely becoming an important issue as I think we've been without content islands for 2 weeks, and that was always a key part of our main BellaOnline.com site, to be able to show the recent forum posts for a given topic.

So here's my plan. I'm going to go through all the RSS feed definitions and change them all to be staggers between 30 minutes and 60 minutes, at 1 minute intervals. That means some will always randomly overlap, but at any given minute only a few of the 400 will be building. Once I finish that setup, I will delete everything in the cache directory. Then I will use the clear cache command, and report back.

Wish me luck!

BellaOnline Website
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Good luck wink

Addict
Addict
OK I've re-timed all of the RSS feeds, deleted all RSS files from the cache directory and then cleared the cache. It *instantly* generated 401 RSS feeds for me, in the blink of an eye. So that creation script is super fast. Now to see if they update!

BellaOnline Website
Addict
Addict
Jeez Louize Gizmo, I thought I was an insomniac working at 6am on this smile I try to do server stuff in the early morning hours, when the site is relatively quiet.

BellaOnline Website
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Glad it is working for you smile

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by BellaOnline
OK I've re-timed all of the RSS feeds, deleted all RSS files from the cache directory and then cleared the cache. It *instantly* generated 401 RSS feeds for me, in the blink of an eye. So that creation script is super fast. Now to see if they update!
Wow thats fast...

Originally Posted by BellaOnline
Jeez Louize Gizmo, I thought I was an insomniac working at 6am on this smile I try to do server stuff in the early morning hours, when the site is relatively quiet.
lol, always awake, nevah surrendur! Always up patroling potential clients hehe... and coding, don't forget the coding lol...

I hope it's working now though

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 868 guests, and 467 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29