Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#177449 02/04/2007 3:53 PM
stranger
stranger
The forums I administer were just upgraded and I'm running into some problems.

We have three basic types of forums on our system:
  • public forums
  • private user forums
  • private staff forums

The public forums work fine, and the private staff forums can be controlled with user groups, but the private user forums are a problem. With the old version, they were controlled with passwords, but the new version doesn't seem to have the capability of password-protecting individual forums. I can give each forum a user group, but in order to allow the forum moderators to manage the groups, they would have to be able to edit users, and that would give them too much power.

I saw something in General settings (I think) about a limit to the number of users who can be invited into a forum (presumably adding them to a user group), but I can't find anything else about that in the documentation. Is there a way for a private forum moderator to invite people into their forum?

Other questions:

Is there a way to make it the default that new user groups have no access to any forum, so I can specify which forums they do have access to more easily than clicking a long list of radio buttons?

Why don't PMs in a user's PM list indicate the recipient of the PM?

Last edited by Iliana; 02/04/2007 5:00 PM.
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
password protection is insecure, as any user can hand out a password.

I myself I'd lke to see a way for users to request access to new groups (like in competing products), i think it'd be an easier way to manage groups.

And the participnts of a pm are listed in the pm, theres a dropdown and it should show at the bottom; the reason this doesn't show on the main pm index is because you can have X ammount of participants ina private topic.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
I did write a mod for users in 6.x to add themselves to groups.

I don't think I still have the code - but it worked fine allowing members to pick their team, and then they would be assigned groups based on that team.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
WEll, the thing is, you don't want people to add themselves to groups, as it'd be insecure; who's to say a 14 year old is joining an adult group tht discusses things which will otherwise get one arrested for curruption of a minor lol...

Requesting to join a group however, that would be nice...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Depends upon the context - as mine gave different forums depending upon their choice it did not matter.

It only allowed certain groups to be selected.

It offered no danger.

However it would be good allow people to request that they could join groups.

stranger
stranger
The private user forums are for game guilds. They need to be fairly secure, but not tightly secure. We want the guild masters to be able to administer their own forum with out admin action required. It's more important that it be simple and modular than it be highly secure.

As it stands now, the closest we can come to the functionality we had before is to have individual user groups for each forum that admins (which basically means I) have to manually add people to when they join a guild. The only alternative is to have them all be public, which defeats the purpose of having a guild forum.

Passwords allow the guild masters to decide who has access. Sure, there is occasional problem, but then they just ask for the password to be changed.

If we can't get this fixed, the forum owner (not me) is going to have to get his money back for the upgrade and switch to some other program. I know he doesn't want to do that, but we need to be able to host guild forums.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Well, in phpbb you can have a "group owner" and they can approve any group actions (adding users, kicking users out, accepting requests, sending invitations); so i think a systrem like they have would be awesome...

stranger
stranger
Would it be possible to get those features in the next version?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
We've made a feature reuest on this before, and it's on my list; as is the list of requests are ginormous, so we'll hvae to see what kind of timeframe rick has.

As for the next version; I think that the featurelist is already set in stone.

I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Iliana - I think your issues are quite common for many site owners - I would like to see a system where we could give mods greater control over just their forum - including banning people from their forum.

Ultimately I would like to give groups (guild masters in your case) their own forum, which is linked membership wise to the main forum - but in which they control many features including headers, footers, portal settings, who can and can't see the forums etc..... whilst at the same time having joint forums with the main site.

If we do not have groups like this within the forum site, all that happens is that the groups break off, and set up a rival site just for them - helping to destroy the community. This might sound good for a forum company as it means more sales - but in reality it doesn't - these groups often will use a free stand alone system (phpbb for example) or use a free hosted service (which is precisely what we should be able to offer them!!!)

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I love the HostBoard idea (a former UBB.C forum which allowed users to sign up and have their own virtual forum), where you can allow users to basically admin their own sections; thus giving the moderators a large ammount of access over the "groups" belonging to their forums...

L
L Offline
But keep in mind, simple passwords work. They are easy for you guys to implement, easy for us manage, and all that is required.

We have had over 50 guild forums—without problem—for years under classic. Even the request for password changes is minimal. It's virtually a self-maintaining system that works.

While I appreciate all the nifty ideas you guys are tossing around, the requirement is for far less. Implementing the *simple* password option will allow me to reclaim the 50 or so guild forums which are now offline.

We don't want the guilds to leave our site to have their own forums as it destroys community to have them leave. (Not to mention the lost revenue form the AdSense ads I run that won't be getting clicked.)

Please take this as an official request to add simple password protection to the forums ala Classic, and let the administrators decide if this is sufficient for our needs.

Member since November 2004
Gold Member since Feb 2008
stranger
stranger
Ian, I completely agree with you. Giving individual forum moderators control over their specific forums is exactly what I want to see.

C
stranger
stranger
C Offline
This is the old code for password protected formums in UBB 6.3 by JoshPet. I don't know if it will help anyone, but I save everything and I've been using threads since Classic.
I repeat, this is an ollllld mod, do NOT use this out of the box on a 7.x threads install, it's for info and tinkering purposes only.
Attachments
363-PasswordProtectedForums1.0.txt (32.17 KB, 141 downloads)

L
L Offline
Ah. Very nice, thank you,

Member since November 2004
Gold Member since Feb 2008

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Version 7.7.5 Images suddenly not displaying
by Stovebolt - 05/04/2024 11:19 AM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ruben), 404 guests, and 166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29