Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#179429 02/25/2007 3:59 AM
stranger
stranger
Greetings, UBB Friends!

We have recently had to lock down our board for legal reasons. It won't last long - we just had someone who was copying everything from our board and using it in another place to try to get people for slander though none was going on.

Anyway, the board is locked. No one can even view the board unless they are a member who is logged in. We have a rule that no one can hide from the recent visitor's feature, and I believe most everyone is going by that, at least according to what I can find in profiles.

My question is this - is there any way to turn off anyone/everyone from being able to hide from that feature?

Without that, is there some kind of glitch in 6.7.2 classic that creates "ghost" guests on the visitor's bar? We had 8 guests tonight when we should never have any. At least once every other day a member will report to me that they observed a guest(s) on the bar at such and such a time. It is getting very frustrating. If there is a possibility that these are ghosts, then I can tell my people not to be concerned about it. If there is a way to turn off everyone's ability to hide from the recent visitor's feature, that would make everyone a lot happier.

Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

TIA . . . warmly, as always,
Shimaka

[Linked Image from bridgingthegapbbs.com]
"Come to the edge" He said.
They said "We are afraid!"
They came. He pushed ... and they flew! - Guillaume Apollinaire
Veteran
Veteran
Yes on the ghost's. If someone is using a connection like AOL where every time they request a page on the internet the IP (Internet Protocol) Address is different then after the first hit in the board each time they access during the time span it will show up as a guest.

When you access the admin view you will then see the duplicates that are showing as a guest with multiple IP addresses. These are named citizens of your community but the system will not display a duplicate name in the recent visitor bar, they will then count as a guest.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
If any "request" to your forums on classic, it will log it in the wol asif they even logged in; if yoru boards are closed to non members then there is no real worry.

As for not allowing the invisible setting, you could just edit it out of the template file then you woudlnt have to worry about anyone selecting it.

An example, if i go to your forums, and it says i cna't access it, it'll still log me attempting to view your forums, thus i would display on the classic who's online bar.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Yes, freaked a few people out at ubbdev the first time WOL was installed and it showed visitors in the private forum laugh

WOL just registers hits, whether or not someone can actually view the page or not.

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
it was pretty funny :x

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
stranger
stranger
Originally Posted by Thelockman
Yes on the ghost's. If someone is using a connection like AOL where every time they request a page on the internet the IP (Internet Protocol) Address is different then after the first hit in the board each time they access during the time span it will show up as a guest.

When you access the admin view you will then see the duplicates that are showing as a guest with multiple IP addresses. These are named citizens of your community but the system will not display a duplicate name in the recent visitor bar, they will then count as a guest.

Thanks so much! My only return question is where, in "the admin view" would I find these? I've not seen anything that would show the recent visitors, and trust me, I've looked. Probably looked so hard that I forgot to look someplace easy. LOL!

TIA!
Shimaka

[Linked Image from bridgingthegapbbs.com]
They said "We are afraid!"
They came. He pushed ... and they flew! - Guillaume Apollinaire
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I don't think that recent visitors are shown in the cp at all... If it's a guest, trust me, it's just someone attempting to look at the forum in question.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
It's not in the cp, there's an admin-view page from within the who's online page, you have to click into it.

Gizzy, did you run .classic before? wink

- Allen
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
hush you :x

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted by Shimaka
Greetings, UBB Friends!

My question is this - is there any way to turn off anyone/everyone from being able to hide from that feature?
Shimaka

https://www.ubbdev.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/201869
  1. Open ubb_lib.cgi
  2. Find this line:

$vars_pntf{'AllowHidden'} = "yes";
  3. Change "yes" to "no"
  4. Save & upload. You will need to clear the board cache for the change to take effect.

- Allen
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I love that charles gave us all of those switches in ubb_lib lol...

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Version 7.7.5 Images suddenly not displaying
by Stovebolt - 05/04/2024 11:19 AM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 719 guests, and 142 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29