Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Addict
Addict
Three hours later and the repair isn't done yet.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I had linked you to a MySQL.com topic on the matter this afternoon before i went out which explained alternative repair methods.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Addict
Addict
After about 6 hours, the repair was successfully completed by our server support.

As this is the 2nd time that table became corrupted, the question is why did it become corrupted?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
MySQL tables/databases can become currupted for any number of reasons; server crashes, insufficient space, etc; it all honestly varies case by case.

For most cases you can repair the database with built in command tools, such as the "myisamchk" tool I linked to in my previous post.

In a lot of cases, a simple "repair" via the MySQL command can fix a lot of issues; however, running this or any SQL maintenance from a web browser is highly not advised by me, it will take forever, doing such tasks from the command line will highly improve wait times here as you'll not be bogging down (or be bogged down by) the webserver to execute MySQL commands and recieve feedback.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
A
journeyman
journeyman
A Offline
Not to do a thread hijack here, but is there a resource for preventative measures that a n00b MySQL admin should take for the UBB data? I back it up (via the web interface) daily. Are there consistency checks or other things that I should be doing?

Addict
Addict
After what I went through twice, I would also be interested in the preventative measures aspect.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Table corruption can happen from a variety of things. It's more prone to happen on a shared server. Some of the reasons would include:

• Hardware issues, motherboard/cpu/memory or a slow/bad hard drive.
  • The mysql process being killed while the database is being written to.
  • The computer/server being shutdown unexpectedly.
  • Certain versions of MySQL have bugs in them that are more prone to corruption. So, it's important for the host to be on top of things and upgrade accordingly.

In short, the more stable and up to date the server is the less frequently you should have table crashes. For example, here, we haven't had a single table crash.

There are no real preventative steps that can be taken. If you have frequent corruption issues, then it's more than likely related to something above.

Having a properly tuned mysql server can help. If you're on a hosting company that just throws up a mysql server and uses the default configuration, that certainly isn't going to help, especially if you're using shared hosting.

Addict
Addict
And I am using shared hosting.

Addict
Addict
The same problem happened again on the same day, Saturday, as it did the previous week.

I also discovered that they do the site back-ups on that day, which makes me wonder, if the site back-up may be triggering the problem?

Addict
Addict
A related question:

If I do a back-up of that table, and this happens, again, how would I replace the corrupted table with the back-up table?

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
When they are backing up the table it very well could be taxing MySQL heavily and contributing to the problem.

As for restoring a backup table. You could use something like phpmyadmin to drop the old table (not the entire database) and then import the backup table.

Addict
Addict
As this happened the last two Saturdays, I will do a backup of that table on Friday evening, or first thing Saturday morning, and, if it happens again, I will drop that table and import the backup one via phpmyadmin.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Ruben, 1 invisible), 717 guests, and 165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29