Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Below is a picture of my Threads board, first in Firefox, then in IE. (Click on the picture to see the original size.)

I spent a lot of time changing the style to look similar to the old Classic board, and I was using Firefox to monitor my progress. When I thought I was done, I checked it in IE, and see that there is lots of blank space between all the boxes.

Anyone had similar experiences? How can I make it look similar in both browsers?

Thanks.

[Linked Image from stevec.smugmug.com]

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I know that no one lieks me bringing up the age old MS sucks conversation; but simply put, various vendors have their own "creative" aspect on hwo they want their browsers to render objects; what you're seeing is simply put, just that...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Old Hand
Old Hand
Steve, you where hit by IE box model problem. The IE add up to 3 pixel for each box.
To prevent this you must change your style with Tanteks-Hack commands in your style. But this can be only done for one version because every IE version have other hacks. I found a german website wich describe the problem:

http://www.perun.net/2004/07/04/fehlverhalten-von-ie-im-boxmodell/

my board: http://www.dragonclan-forum.de
my hobby: http://www.biker-reise.de
Ich kann bei Fragen zu UBBthreads in Deutsch weiterhelfen oder es zumindest versuchen
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Thanks for the replies, guys. This is all new to me, since I am quite a beginner with CSS. Reading the above, I Googled:
"box model" IE "Internet explorer"
and the top two articles are quite helpful.

This issue is even documented in Wikipedia: The IE Box Model bug.

The article by Roger Johansson, Internet Explorer and the CSS box model is one I am going to study to see if I can resolve the differences.

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Forget what I wrote above. I found the problem to be the cellspacing value in the wrapper in the t_outer class. IE uses it, but Firefox ignores it. By setting cellspacing=0, now the IE layout looks just like the Firefox version ...except for the blank lines after each item in the bulleted list in the left island.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
3 members (Nightcrawler, Ruben, 1 invisible), 509 guests, and 202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29