Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#1012 07/06/2006 10:23 AM
E
stranger
stranger
E Offline
I've just upgraded my forums to 6.5.4 and have set a limit on the number of PMs users can keep in their box.

What I'm finding is that people who use the site most (my "core" users) have a lot of valuable information stored in their personal messages.

I need to keep the size of their mail boxes to a reasonable size, but at the same time, I don't want them to have to delete important correspondence. One of the users made what I thought was a pretty good suggestion: Allow users to email to content of a personal message to themselves. This way, they can keep the messages on their own machine as long as they want.

I noticed in the Version 7 PM management screen that there is a "delete selected" button for messages that have a checkbox. Couldn't we likewise have a button that reads "Email selected messages (to me)".

Lastly, couldn't users have an option in their profile that would have PMs emailed to them as well as kept on the forum?

I don't know about other boards, but at my site, Gunks.com, users have built up a large amount of quality infomration that I'd really like them to be able to keep. Having the info in your email box is about the best place I can think of.

Thanks.

E
stranger
stranger
E Offline
bump

A
journeyman
journeyman
A Offline
I've run into similar issues. I have members with literally thousands of PMs.

I tried to limit it to something like 1,000 at one point, but too many people were way past that limit. Current limit on my board is set at 10,000.

[Linked Image from boards.collectors-society.com]
M
enthusiast
enthusiast
M Offline
There is a mod over on threadsdev to allow them to mail their messgaes to themselves

Join Europes biggest BMW M Car owners site
M-Torque - www.mtorque.co.uk
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I would state that in that case, applying the mod to allow users to mail pms to themselves in anticipation of your upgrade... then using a logical limit like 200..

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
A
journeyman
journeyman
A Offline
(shrug) I don't agree with the "logical limit". I don't have a problem having the users feel more invested in the board due to them keeping a long history of messages.

[Linked Image from boards.collectors-society.com]
E
stranger
stranger
E Offline
Originally Posted by MattUK
There is a mod over on threadsdev to allow them to mail their messgaes to themselves

Can you post a link to that mod? I didn't find it.

Thanks!
-em

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Nightcrawler), 715 guests, and 175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29