Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Just need some clarification.

Notify.
When I clicked on the "Notify" button I realized the purpose of this button is probably only used if a user wants to contact the moderator about a post without having to post it publically. What if there's not a moderator assigned to that forum? What then? And why not just use the PM to do this?

Email Post.
When I clicked on the "Email Post" button, it appeared to me to be just another form of emailing anyone. Am I wrong? Why bother emailing if PMing is faster and easier?

I don't think I have a clear picture of what these buttons are for and when I should be using them. Thanks.

[Linked Image from shorthandclasses.com]
Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
Notify notifies the moderator(s) of the forum and the admins if you set it up that way as an admin (you can set that in your profile if you want to be notified or not).

The purpose is as you describe, contact the moderator to notify them about a post. It's easier then using a PM, because the link you get let's you know exactly what post you are notified on. If you have to PM you that stuff, it's kind of a search on what they mean.

With E-Mail post you can e-mail the post. Not per se to fellow board members, but maybe your vacation report to some friends that are not board members.

[Linked Image from siemons.org]
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
If there is no moderator of the forum it will send to the admin (as they're the next "moderator' in line); admin's can set themselves to receive all moderator noticed regardless of this behavior in their preferences.

emailing the post is like "send this to a friend"; not all of your friends will be subscribed to the forum, so pm'ing them isn't a possibility to be able to share that post with them.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
old hand
old hand
Is there a way to get the alerts to go to all of the moderators (for that particular forum), showing all of their email addresses in one email?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
for user privacy concerns I believe everything is BCCed.

As for all moderators recieving the notice, so long as they're a mod of that forum they will recieve that notice.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
old hand
old hand
Thanks. Understood.

I liked how all the mods would get one email in Classic, then when someone took action, he could reply to the group to know it was dealt with.

I've just got to come up with a new way to communicate with mods when reports come up.

Okay. I have encountered a new problem with the "Notify" button. Once a moderator has been notified (I have clicked the "Notify" button once). Now another user comes by and also clicks the "Notify" button.

A message pops up that says "A moderator has already been notified." Sooooo, why can't a moderator be notified more than once? Or, does it have to be cleared in the cp somewhere? I certainly can't find it.

Does the 7.2 version allow us to click "notify" more than once to contact a moderator or admin?

Help! Thank you.

Originally Posted by Trixie
Just need some clarification.

Notify.
When I clicked on the "Notify" button I realized the purpose of this button is probably only used if a user wants to contact the moderator about a post without having to post it publically. What if there's not a moderator assigned to that forum? What then? And why not just use the PM to do this?

Email Post.
When I clicked on the "Email Post" button, it appeared to me to be just another form of emailing anyone. Am I wrong? Why bother emailing if PMing is faster and easier?

I don't think I have a clear picture of what these buttons are for and when I should be using them. Thanks.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Why would you want to notify a moderator numerous times about a single post? I'd be quite annoyed with some random user clicking report 50 times...

Well seeing that it wasnt a problem in classic i disagree.

I found it Extremely useful as i would get different input from members about the post / the member.

I have never ever had "Notify" abused at all.
And miss the multiple notify.

In answer to your Question Trixie
1 Notify per post.

Ive been asking members / moderators to use a notify
above or below as a work around.

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
Gizmo, I was under the impression that I could use the "Notify" button as another means of contact for moderators because it sends an outside email instead PMing. I like this function.

I have moderator introductions and thought it would be easy to have forum members contact moderators through the "Notify" button; not just for bad posts.

Thanks.

You can but only once per post,
but its one way traffic they can not reply,
so its easier in the long run to either quote the post
of concern, copy it and post it in your private moderators forum.

This can then be discussed.

Your also assuming that your moderators "Always" read there e-mail.
They dont or when they do days have gone by.

If you really want to do it your way and use the notify
to communicate with moderators then just click notify
on each post until you can post a comment.

Hope that helps ?

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
Mark,

Thanks for the info. Bummer about the 1 notify per post!

I will use your suggestion for the work around.

Let's hope that the future new releases add this mutliple "notify" feature back in. I can see plainly how it would benefit everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I wouldn't mind it if it where an option; as one notification about abuse in a post is well enough for most people; the PM system is in place for contacting staff and other members...

Yeah! We've got this all fixed now. Am going to just use the "reply" button and then the "notify" below or above each post. Then I have MANY replies to choose from.

Thank youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu. crazy

stranger
stranger
I like the 'one notify per post' limit. The old way, I'd check my e-mail some mornings and have 20-30 messages concerning single errant post made while I was sleeping. (It's a busy forum.)

My beef is the name "notify". Some users take it to mean that the button is used to notify THEM that there has been a reply in that thread---like a "watch this thread" button. I was much happier when it was called "Report Post" with a whistle icon which was so obvious that even a complete idiot could understand what it meant.

"Did you click on it anyway?"
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
This is probably changeable in the language files.
Haven't looked for it yet though.

D
stranger
stranger
D Offline
Originally Posted by andrewpiper
My beef is the name "notify". Some users take it to mean that the button is used to notify THEM that there has been a reply in that thread---like a "watch this thread" button. I was much happier when it was called "Report Post" with a whistle icon which was so obvious that even a complete idiot could understand what it meant.

Ditto

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I agree on the "Report Post" sugguestion, it'd make more sense in a "stock" install.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Version 7.7.5 Images suddenly not displaying
by Stovebolt - 05/04/2024 11:19 AM
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Who's Online Now
3 members (ahmed047, Nightcrawler, 1 invisible), 566 guests, and 148 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29