Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
stranger
stranger
N Offline
I just finished the not-so pleasant task of upgrading from version 5.5 to version 7.2 (after upgrading to 6.5.5). I have everything working except for attachments.

I can upload attachments with no problem, and they do get uploaded. However, the files are being renamed with the number instead of being prefixed. For example, instead of help-file.pdf becoming 423-help-file.pdf, it simply becomes 423.pdf. I can't figure out why this is happening.

On a related note, none of my attachments from before the upgrade show up in posts. The word "Attachment" shows up in the posts but there is no link to the files. All my attachments reside in the attachment directory - I just can't figure out why the links to them in the posts are gone.

Any help would be appreciated, as I'm at a loss.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
To cut down on problems with certain characters creating issues, all file names are just set to the actual file id. This makes it so the file upload will work on any system no matter the character set being used.

As for your old attachments. That I'm not too sure on, it sounds like possibly an upgrade issue where the actual file attachments aren't attached to a post. If you're familiar with mysql, you can take a look in the FILES table and look to see if all of the fields are populated on some of the old imported POST_IDs.

N
stranger
stranger
N Offline
Thanks for the help. After looking at the FILES table, there were a couple of fields not populated. The one that matters, apparently, is the FILE_ORIGINAL_NAME field, because as soon as I add that value, the attachments show up in the post.

Thanks again.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
If it's just a problem of FILE_ORIGINAL_NAME not being populated, you can execute this query to populate it with what is in FILE_NAME:
Code
update ubbt_FILES set FILE_ORIGINAL_NAME = FILE_NAME

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Thanks for the followup. Looks like I need to make an adjustment to the importers.

Originally Posted by NTents
I can upload attachments with no problem, and they do get uploaded. However, the files are being renamed with the number instead of being prefixed. For example, instead of help-file.pdf becoming 423-help-file.pdf, it simply becomes 423.pdf. I can't figure out why this is happening.

OK, I understand why this was done (as to Ricks answer) but I would really like to have the old behavior back, i.e. that the file is saved with the original name (plus the attachment number).
Would it be possible to make a selection for the admin to select between the two behaviors?

The reason to why I would like to have the the file saved with the original name is that I don't want to rename the file back to the original name when I download it.

One more thing that is different is that previously when an attachment was added, the attachment number was listed in the post, but nowdays it is not. I would like this back also...

... but this starts out to be a little of a wish list - perhaps I need to post this in the suggestion forum?

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
3 members (rootman, Gizmo, Nightcrawler), 562 guests, and 186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29