Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
journeyman
journeyman
We've been using UBB for quite some time now. We've been stuck on 6.7.3 since it was released, and are just now deciding to get with the times.

Well, our users have gotten used to having the newest post in a topic at the top (in what would now be flat mode, although it's all we've ever known.) I guess it would be a reverse of what we have now. The Classic option was "Reverse Topic Order?"

I don't see where to turn this option on anymore. I found where I can apparantly make the posts in a forum behave in this manner (I think: Sort Topics by Time of Last Reply ("Dateslip")?).

Thanks in advance,
Tim

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Actually we don't have that in .threads. I wasn't even aware that was available in classic. blush

No quick change for this as everything is set to go off a descending order. We may be able to get this into a future version however.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
You know, when throwing ideas at you from classic during alpha, i completely spaced on the sorting orders as I've never used them :shrug: I like the suggestion though!

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
journeyman
journeyman
It would be highly desirable for us. Not sure how hard it is to add this, but it would be appreciated. We've used UBB since late 2000, and I recall that having the newest content displayed at the top of each thread was one of the first requests from our users (internal and external.)

Thanks much,
Tim

UBB Since November 07, 2000.
journeyman
journeyman
I was able to get it to show the posts in a topic in reverse order by adding a DESC to the SQL query on line 624 in showflat.inc.php (ORDER BY POST_ID to ORDER BY POST_ID DESC.)

But, the focus still goes to what would be the original post, so I backed it out until I could get a little more understanding. I am getting much grief from the users for the order being changed from what they are used to. eek

journeyman
journeyman
I've found a work around in the form of the DESC above, and the removal of the #Post when coming into the topic from the postlist (this was causing the focus to jump to a post farther down on the page.)

I didn't want to get into have to track "customizations", but the users were not far from pitchforks and boiling oil eek

I don't know if others have asked for this, but it doesn't seem like it would be hard to add a switch to the control panel for the sort order, and then toggle the desc and presence of the #Post on the post list. Overall it was just three lines of code modified.

Thanks,
Tim

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Thanks for sharing that Tim. Honestly, it hasn't been asked for that I can remember, that's why I didn't even realize it existed in classic wink That being said, I'll look at sticking an option in for it when I get a chance.

journeyman
journeyman
I'll send the code changes I made in PM. I'll not post it here in case I did something wrong, as to not propagate it to others smile

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Version 7.7.5 Images suddenly not displaying
by Stovebolt - 05/04/2024 11:19 AM
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Who's Online Now
4 members (Ruben, Slaz, ahmed047, 1 invisible), 667 guests, and 121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29