Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#195698 08/29/2007 3:39 PM
journeyman
journeyman
What about the following options for searching...

First One: In the admin control panel, what about an option to allow blank keyword searchs.

Reasoning: You could select a forum, set a date range (older than one day, newer than 3 days), and see all posts from that particular forum.

It could be limited still by the number of results returned, and of course, a site would have to enable this option in the control panel so everyone isn't subjected to it.

Next One: What about the option on the Search Screen to only return Open threads?

Reasoning: If searching for things, you could exclude threads that have already been locked/closed.

Thanks much!
Tim

UBB Since November 07, 2000.
journeyman
journeyman
Hmmm... no interest? I've got users who can't search on even simple terms that they could before, even after dropping the minimum searchable word length down to 0.

For example: "use tax" yeilds no hits. Apparantly it appears that verbs are excluded or something. I figured out that they can add * to each term and get the match, but still a little frustrating as I don't know 'what and why' is dropped from searches.

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
"+use +tax -refund"

makes sure use, tax are IN
and -refund is OUT

SD #196317 09/05/2007 11:40 AM
journeyman
journeyman
+use +tax yields no results, "use tax" yields no results, use* tax* yields results, but on closer inspection, it's retreiving tons of posts that don't necessarily include use and tax! Almost like the words are being removed and replaced with wildcards.

I'd love to have the option to disable whatever is excluding certain words.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
By default MySQL's fulltext indexes exclude anything under 4 characters. For 7.3, I'm going to put in an option to use the old style homebrewed search engine that doesn't rely on the fulltext indexes.

journeyman
journeyman
Ahhh... ok, a MySQL thing then. It makes sense now.

I did find something on changing the MySQL behavior, including the customization of noise words.

I'd like to wait for 7.3, but there is that whole messy thing with the pitchforks, boiling oil, etc...

Thanks

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Well, you can change the mysql minimum search length to any value you wish if you have access to edit the mysql configuration (/etc/my.cnf) which you won't have on a standard virtual host. But this limit is outside of anything threads can manage.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
journeyman
journeyman
We run our install on a dedicated web server, as opposed to hosting it somewhere. Nothing is beyond my control crazy

There's other aspects to it too, including rebuilding the fulltext indexes, etc. We also run a Bugzilla implementation on the same database/server though, so I don't want to get too outrageous.

Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
Originally Posted by Rick
By default MySQL's fulltext indexes exclude anything under 4 characters. For 7.3, I'm going to put in an option to use the old style homebrewed search engine that doesn't rely on the fulltext indexes.

Any way you can detect the current settings for the fulltext indexes and warn the user that the search cannot be done the new spiffy way.

Or automatic old style search when search word length is lower then MySQL settings.

Last edited by blaaskaak; 09/06/2007 1:05 AM.

[Linked Image from siemons.org]
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Well, if you wish to allow "low character searches" look at the mysql "ft_min_word_len" option.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
shared server, so no go...

[Linked Image from siemons.org]
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Well, i posted the notice for you and the code for tim :x...

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by Gizmo
Well, if you wish to allow "low character searches" look at the mysql "ft_min_word_len" option.

Thanks. Been there, done that wink The results were not as impressive as I anticipated though.

journeyman
journeyman
Originally Posted by QSS Tim
Next One: What about the option on the Search Screen to only return Open threads?

Reasoning: If searching for things, you could exclude threads that have already been locked/closed.

I still think this would be a nice option (figured I'd keep it from getting lost in the fray. wink )

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Version 7.7.5 Images suddenly not displaying
by Stovebolt - 05/04/2024 11:19 AM
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Geoff, 1 invisible), 692 guests, and 171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29