Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#200684 11/05/2007 1:10 PM
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 92
L
journeyman
journeyman
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 92
Hi,

I don't know if this is the right spot to post the problem, if not, I'm very sorry smirk

Here's the thing: I just changed hosts.. What I did was download all the files and directories from the old one and upload them to the new one (ftp). This doesn't seem to work?
This is the error I'm getting. Anyone any idea?

[Linked Image from img209.imageshack.us]

My previous hosting contract ends Tuesday evening, so this should be fixed by then crazy

Anyone in for a challenge? I'll buy you some coffee grin

Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,360
Likes: 2
Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,360
Likes: 2
I'd love a cup of coffee smile

Have a look in /includes/config.inc.php and see if all the paths, and sql server info are pointed to the new server.


[Linked Image from siemons.org]
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 92
L
journeyman
journeyman
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 92
Okay, I have adjusted the config.inc.php file with the info I have at this moment (but I'm affraid I do not have all the info needed at the time)..
According to the new hosting company, I should create a new database on their control panel and then transfer all data to that database. I really have no idea where I can find the database data crazy
Blaaskaak, maybe you know my new hosting company, as it's in holland: protagonist.nl .. maybe you can translate because I do not understand their language grin

Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,360
Likes: 2
Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,360
Likes: 2
Did you read Gizmo's server transfer instructions here on ubbcentral? It's in the general assistence (How Do I) forum.

What could be a smart thing is to install a clean copy of ubb.threads on your new server, that way you know ubb will run, and you can use the config.inc.php created by that install to know the specific settings for that hosting environment.

Last edited by blaaskaak; 11/05/2007 2:04 PM.

[Linked Image from siemons.org]
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 92
L
journeyman
journeyman
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 92
I read Gizmo's instructions, but it's like Chinese to me frown
I'm not familiar with linux/bsd and stuff ..

Can you point me to the place where the database is located?
A clean install would be an option, but sd adjusted a coulple of things which I can not redo myself.

Sorry to bother you guys with this, if I knew this would be so hard for a dummy, I wouldn't even have changed hosts crazy

Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,360
Likes: 2
Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,360
Likes: 2
The clean install would just be to get a correct config.inc.php for your new host. You can copy settings like path/database etc from that config.inc.php to your old config.inc.php.

That new clean install would be thrown away.

The database is located on the mysql server, it's not a file download, you actually need to backup.

If you have to transfer for tomorrow night, my best suggestion would be to close the board asap, and use database tools > backup to get a backup of your database. After that's done (which can take a while, but not too long since your board is relatively small), just download each and everyfile you have at your current host smile


[Linked Image from siemons.org]
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,940
Likes: 1
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,940
Likes: 1
luckie, my only adjustments had to do with your styles.. so no worries..

go for it dude ! laugh

Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 92
L
journeyman
journeyman
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 92
blaaskaak is 'secretely' helping me in the meanwhile, i'm not gonna succeed on my own frown

Oh, and it's dudesse.. maybe an explanation for you guys why i'm such a dummy whistle

Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,940
Likes: 1
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,940
Likes: 1
ah no.. dudesse's are more cool laugh

btw, with Yarp™ on it, you have nothing to fear ! wink

Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 92
L
journeyman
journeyman
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 92
cool

Great, big relief laugh

Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,360
Likes: 2
Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,360
Likes: 2
Originally Posted by Sirdude
btw, with Yarp™ on it, you have nothing to fear ! wink


Except Yarp™ himself smile


[Linked Image from siemons.org]
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 92
L
journeyman
journeyman
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 92
blush
Too late to cry for help now? whistle

Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,360
Likes: 2
Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,360
Likes: 2
Originally Posted by luckie
blush
Too late to cry for help now? whistle


Yep, already got server access gna gna gna smile


[Linked Image from siemons.org]
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 3
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 2,474
Likes: 3
OOooofff scary.... wink

Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 92
L
journeyman
journeyman
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 92
didn't get any sleep last night, guarding my control panel whistle

Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,360
Likes: 2
Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,360
Likes: 2
That's why all my hack attempts failed wink


[Linked Image from siemons.org]
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,360
Likes: 2
Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,360
Likes: 2
To make this transfer as smooth as possible I thought up this scenario:

Close up board
Backup
Move data to new host
Get new host working a okay (already have a trial import running)
Open up new board
At old board, change database settings to use the database from the new host. (I can connect to it, I tested that)
Start the DNS circus

That way, old board, new board, same posts/stuff. You would only get logged out maybe once or twice because of the sessions stuff.

Anyone ever tried this or knows some issues?


[Linked Image from siemons.org]
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,940
Likes: 1
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,940
Likes: 1
i like the fact that you can connect to the db from old IP.. i normally don't get that luxury.. just 'localhost'..

good stuff wink

Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 92
L
journeyman
journeyman
L Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 92
blaaskaak 's ruling my board laugh

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
I was getting yarp™ed on IM last night about possibilities; some hosts (well, the control panels they use) allow you to set what addresses you want to allow to connect to the db, so it works for our Yarp™ikins best as he lingered on above wink.

Some hosts though, get really anal about access other than localhost to mysql lol.


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
After server reboot
by Morgan - 09/02/2026 8:27 AM
Email Settings
by Outdoorking - 05/13/2026 2:44 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Havenofsobriety), 176 guests, and 163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)