Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
stranger
stranger
B Offline
I used mysqldump to backup the forum and the forum database. The forum database is 84,046,398 bytes tarred. I moved it to a new server (thanks to Gizmo's handy guide ! Now I want to prune the existing forums (on the old server) Through the ubbthreads control panel, it's only pruning 20 topics at a time every several seconds and there are 35,887 that need to be pruned. Pruning would take days at that rate, so I wondered if there are other options (i.e. direct sql command, etc.).

Thanks Gizmo, for the GREAT guide to get me started with the transfer! One note for you to possibly include in future editions of your guide: When the SQL and Web servers are different, the --host= command can be added to the mysqldump command (e.g. mysqldump --host=mysql.serverhost.tld -uusername -ppassword my_database_name > my_database_name.sql).

Bill

Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
Can't you just drop all the tables if you are moving anyway?

[Linked Image from siemons.org]
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
hehe, he tooted my horn...

But yeh, if you're moving away from the server, and are just dropping everything there, why not just drop the table, then delete the data from the web directory?

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
Usually you don't even have to care, if you leave, they'll drop everything for you smile

[Linked Image from siemons.org]
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by blaaskaak
Usually you don't even have to care, if you leave, they'll drop everything for you smile
Exactly

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
B
stranger
stranger
B Offline
Originally, I moved the forums just to "test" them on a new server (several users were having issues). Another test was to clean up tons of older posts on the existing servers. I'd still like there are other options for pruning but it's not as important now because I've decided to go with the new server and will be moving tons of stuff on several sites over the next several weeks. Should be fun...not. But I've done it before so I have several tricks in my back pocket already for how to work around propagation issues, etc.

Thanks,
Bill

journeyman
journeyman
I'm having problems pruning topics in UBB Threads 7.1.1 too. (I tried it for the first time earlier today.) I don't know if it's been updated in later versions, but it usually just times out after 30 seconds...and that's when it's only trying to prune about 50 topics. Our board has 580,000 posts, by the way, consuming 1GB of hard drive space. I'd like to suggest that the pruning feature be tweaked for the new 7.3 version to make it useful for people with large boards.

RnJpZW5kc2hpcCB3aXRoIHRoZSB3b3JsZCBpcyBob3N0aWxpdH
kgdG93YXJkcyBHb2QuICBKYW1lcyA0OjQ=
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
yah i can see large board on shared server being a prob. there are ways to make it better smile

journeyman
journeyman
By the way, we own the server, and although it hosts email and some other small websites, nothing else really taxes the CPU other than the message board. It's a P4 2.0GHz with 1GB of RAM, soon to be upgraded to 2GB or RAM (just in case that helps).

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
'eh so long as your server is actually configured (optimized) to USE 1GB Ram (well, 2GB Ram after you upgrade) it should work fine... Most people end up keeping the apache and mysql defaults and never bother to update them when they have larger amounts of resources :shrug:

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
usually mysql out of the box isn't setup properly for a DB of that size.

i always end up tweaking the my.cnf to make it right. also php should be accellerated..

simple stuff goes a long way toward zoom zoom wink

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
"zoom, zooom, zoom"... lol

C
journeyman
journeyman
C Offline
Hmm....that sounds like a good topic actually, some things that can be done to "optimize" settings for better performance...maybe even one flavored for LAMPs and one for the windows crowd.....

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Well, apache would be for apache, reguardless of lamp, windows, or linux... same really for mysql.

journeyman
journeyman
I agree, a topic on optimizing mysql.ini would be great. After finishing the memory upgrade, I found that the key_buffer_size setting in the mysql.ini file was limiting memory usage to 40MB or something. I increased it to 500MB, and now the board seems to run really fast -- even though Task Manager only reports the mysql process using 80MB of RAM. (Note that phpmyadmin reports that the indexes on the posts table are using 370MB). I thought I had already configured the my.ini preset file, but I must have missed that setting.

Shane

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
You need first to make sure you have a kernel that will see and utilize 2,4,6 or more gigs of RAM.

After that, use this MySQL tuning guide on UBBdev then this one

This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image from navaho.infopop.cc]

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Gizmo, Nightcrawler), 553 guests, and 186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29