Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
stranger
stranger
H Offline
Last week, I got an email from a long-time member saying they couldn't login. I pulled up their profile in the CP (running classic 6.7.2) by searching on their PDN, and found them, but their post count, login name, etc was all blank.

Looking at my /cgi-bin/ubb/Members directory, their profile file (000xxxxx.cgi) was empty...it showed 0 bytes.

How the heck does this happen?

Luckily, I'm in the middle of testing threads, looking to migrate over in Feb or March...so, I had their profile in threads, and manually recreated it in classic format.

Now, today, I see that 2 more profiles are showing up as 0 bytes.

Any ideas?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Likely it's just file curruption; it happens from time to time, reguardless of the OS or product.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
H
stranger
stranger
H Offline
OK, thanks Gizmo.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Yes, you can manually re-create his profile in a text editor and re-upload - be sure you follow how the others are done exactly at least for the first 5 lines or so - those are critical information. Then you'll need to re-add his email and username back into the index files for each, in the same order as before... ask if/when you have more questions, I had to manually create maybe a hundred profiles at ubbdev when a bot crashed our site - now we have flood control in registrations because of my pain smile

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
H
stranger
stranger
H Offline
Allen,

See, that's the weird thing: the emailfile and memberslist files were still good - the usernames and email addys are still present (and correct) in those 2 files.

And the profiles themselves were still there, they were just completely empty. Zero, zip, nada...no bytes, no bits. wink

To rebuild those profiles, I simply FTP'ed a good one to my machine, changed as necessary, saved as their member number profile, and FTP'ed back. Then I went into the CP to verify and fill in any missing info.

The good news is that it's only happened to 3 profiles...fingers crossed... smile

Veteran
Veteran
How much web space do you have remaining on your site?

H
stranger
stranger
H Offline
Lots of space...that's not a problem. We create lots of posts and replies every day.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Just a simple corruption then, replacing them should do you well. I'd be sure and keep good backups if it continues to be a problem.

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
T
stranger
stranger
T Offline
I've had the member profile cgi file become empty about 10 times in 5 years. I just upload a old backup in most cases. The post count can be fixed from members memory or do the maintaince function.

In other cases I used a different members profile file and edit in the correct info...

Big problem when mine became empty! I couldn't get into Control Panel. No Profile! I figured out what was the matter pretty quick though. I backup the entire forum once a year, but backup member files once a month....

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Napalm), 806 guests, and 165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29