Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#203671 12/21/2007 4:20 PM
S
S Offline
Hi all,

Our BBS is locked to non authenticated users and we share another website with our BBS that the same user has to log into. I wonder if there's a way I can create the login cookie and place it when the user logs into the sister site so that they don't have the relogin to the BBS. Has anyone tried this? Any ideas on what attributes I need to set for the cookies? We use ASP.NET on the other site.

Thanks for any tips and Happy Holidays.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Hmm, is it on a different domain? If that's the case then I don't think you can set cookies for another domain. It's also more than just a cookie as it actually needs to update the database as well.

S
S Offline
I was afraid of that. Thanks.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Cookies are meant to be used on a site/site basis, it's the way they're "secure" so some random site doesn't just jack user cookies, so think of it as security wink

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
The downside to this is, if you run more than one domain name for the same site it is not possible to be logged into to multiple domains at once.

Even going from domain.com to www.domain.com or viceversa will find you logged out (unless one forwards to the other, which often they do not - e.g. http://ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/cfrm and https://www.ubbcentral.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/cfrm )

It would be nice to be able to specify multiple domains - I seem to remember a hack for this some time ago on threads.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Well, the issue isn't with threads, it's just with how cookies work, they're not cross-site for security sakes... It's not like you can edit threads to read other sites cookies, that'd make the whole standardization with them reguarding security obsolete as any site could read out your cookies for another site then trounce around as you...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
sure, I do not disagree about cookies - but I do remember a hack that Dave (Lister?) wrote over at threadsdev a hack to have two (or more) domains.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
It allows it to read cookies from other domains? I'm not sure I'm able to buy that... You'd think you'd run into cross domain issues.

I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
it used to work well - you just listed your domains such as domain1.com; domain2.com etc.

Like several hacks though, it was not supported when a new version came out, and so stopped working.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Sounds interesting enough, wonder if I can dig it up at ubbdev

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
i've done this for a customer. they login to domain1.com (kinda like a main portal site) and it sets the domain1's cookies.. then there is a small API on the threads side (ubbthreads.php) that notes this cookie and auto logs the user into domain2.com (where threads is)..

so it's a mod and possible smile

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Ahh, now that sounds plausible and well within the way cookies work wink...

SD #203815 12/24/2007 11:36 PM
S
S Offline
Originally Posted by Sirdude
i've done this for a customer. they login to domain1.com (kinda like a main portal site) and it sets the domain1's cookies.. then there is a small API on the threads side (ubbthreads.php) that notes this cookie and auto logs the user into domain2.com (where threads is)..

so it's a mod and possible smile

Excellent, is this a mod available for 7.2?

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Version 7.7.5 Images suddenly not displaying
by Stovebolt - 05/04/2024 11:19 AM
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Who's Online Now
4 members (Ruben, Slaz, ahmed047, 1 invisible), 667 guests, and 121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29