Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
stranger
stranger
H Offline
I had been playing with Threads 7.2.2 since December, and planned on migrating from Classic to Threads after 7.3 was final. But, my Classic board went belly-up on Jan 8th, so I quickly migrated to Threads, and things are great.

Now that 7.3 is close, I want to be able to setup a place to test out the new features of 7.3, without disrupting my 7.2.2 production code. Our board is fairly big, about 1GB total in DB storage, and I've done a bit of customization for styles and some other minor things in the code itself. I'd like to be able to test the 7.3 code against my existing DB, without having to create another DB and migrate all the data. Of course, this assumes that none of the 7.3 delivery includes DB changes - if it does, then I'd want to have a totally separate install and DB to test against.

Even it that's the case, I'd still like to be able to test out the turning on of different features (the Portal Page, Gallery, Attachments, etc) without affecting my production board. Again, since my Classic board went belly-up, I didn't really have a chance to test all these things before I was forced to migrate to Threads. Now I'm at the point where I'd like to investigate some of these features.

My thought is to simply create a copy of my production directory on the server, copy all the files to the new directory, and then change the config.inc.php to reference the new directory.

Is there anything else I'd need to do, or are there any 'gotchas' in doing this that I'm not thinking about?

I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
7.3 does make several changes to the database, so you will need to make a copy of your orginal database.

I would then make a copy of your original site and then upgrade that.

Make your changes and then once you are happy, upgrade your main site and then copy across any template or other files that you have changed.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Your best bet is to copy the database to another database; then copy over your 7.2.2 files, then upgrade that 7.2 instance to 7.3 and work on your testing.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
H
stranger
stranger
H Offline
Thanks guys...will do...

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Test
by Phun - 05/28/2024 7:31 PM
Version 7.7.5 Images suddenly not displaying
by Stovebolt - 05/04/2024 11:19 AM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Phun), 784 guests, and 112 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29