Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#206129 02/07/2008 10:24 AM
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 215
enthusiast
enthusiast
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 215
I suggest "Shout Box per Forum" feature.
Each forum is attached a "Shout Box". (or an option , that some forum can have their shout boxes , and other forums share the global shout box)

Some users are familiar with each other only in some forum. They are "friends" in one forum , but when they enter another forum , they feel un-comfortable , unfamiliar.

If each board is attached a shout box (of course , it must take forum authorization into consideration), they can stay in their forum and discuss forum-specific issues online.

Currently , the Shout Box is global , it can be preserved , used for portal pages , or forums without specific shout box.


English is not my native language. I try my best to express my thought precisely. I hope you understand what I mean. If any misunderstanding results from culture gaps, I apologize first.
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
Thought about that in the past - would be a useful feature

no - make that a very useful feature smile

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 16,532
Likes: 150
'eh sure if all of your forums are popular; otherwise it'll be a waste of space in the db wink


I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
sure - but like most things - it doesn't have to be compulsory

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 215
enthusiast
enthusiast
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 215
Originally Posted by Gizmo
'eh sure if all of your forums are popular; otherwise it'll be a waste of space in the db wink
I don't think it's a waste of space in the db.
The shouts in ubbt_SHOUT_BOX table are purged by ubbthreads , isn't it ?
So , if I have 50 forums , and each shout box size is 20 , it only occupies 1000 rows in DB.

Furthermore , not all forums need a specific forum , some forums may share global shout box.


English is not my native language. I try my best to express my thought precisely. I hope you understand what I mean. If any misunderstanding results from culture gaps, I apologize first.
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,940
Likes: 1
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 3,940
Likes: 1
not much of a waste of space at all. would be a medium mod to accomplish.. wink

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,839
Likes: 1
please..... wink

Send me your bill & paypal account wink


Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
After server reboot
by Morgan - 09/02/2026 8:27 AM
Email Settings
by Outdoorking - 05/13/2026 2:44 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 304 guests, and 96 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)