Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
stranger
stranger
S Offline
Im trying to resuurect an old copy of UBB for a customer - the goal is to extract the 200k of threads out so they can be used for reference material

The files I have go back at least 3 years

I have what looks like a dump of the file structure and it appears it was cgi based and installed on a windows server

Can anyone tell me how I can tell what version of UBB this was and then of course I want to try to resurrect the content so it can be extracted and imported into current forum or at least bring the data back so it can be searched

Any help would be appreciated
Doug

Last edited by Silver_2000; 02/27/2008 11:38 AM.
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
CGI would be UBB.Classic; the version number should be printed inside the cgi files in the cgibin (at the top).

As for how to resurrect them, upload everything to the server, if it's a complete dump (cgi, vars, members, and the non-cgi directories) then you can just chmod them (follow the install guide; links to them are provided on the forum, use the search) and access the control panel. You will need the admin password, you can get this by opening the cgi file in the member directory associated with any admin user, it will be shown in plain text.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
S
stranger
stranger
S Offline
thanks !
it looks like version 5.47d
does that sound familiar ?
assuming I can get it running is there any chance to get this updated to 6.7 so that i can attempt to import them into vbulletin ?

Last edited by Silver_2000; 02/27/2008 8:56 PM.
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
It's possible to get it running without a problem, so long as you have all of the files available for it to be installed that is.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
P
enthusiast
enthusiast
P Offline
Originally Posted by Silver_2000
thanks !
it looks like version 5.47d
does that sound familiar ?
assuming I can get it running is there any chance to get this updated to 6.7 so that i can attempt to import them into vbulletin ?

Why vBulletin? UBB.threads is BY FAR a better forum solution. Upgrade to UBB.threads instead.

Last edited by Pink Jazz; 02/27/2008 9:32 PM.
S
stranger
stranger
S Offline
thanks for the help guys

The the forum is already running VBulletin with 1.3 million posts 150k threads and has been for years they have asked me to try to resurrect about 200,000 old posts from a 4 or 5 year old version of UBB

Is there are free version I can use to test and upgrade this old install simply for the purpose of importing to VB ?

Last edited by Silver_2000; 02/28/2008 12:45 AM.
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
We don't have free versions, been a while for that. I imagine vbulletin would have the answers for you on how to import into their software.

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
S
stranger
stranger
S Offline
vb imports recent versions - which is why Im asking for help finding old versions so I can try to get the DB updated to recent version - to make it possible to import

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Unfortunately, sharing versions would invalidate our license agreement with Groupee; so by giving you access to a download we'd be forfeiting our rights to them in the future.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Well... sure, we'd love to let you borrow a copy to import into another software wink

I'm sure the fine folks at vb will be able to help you import. If they don't currently support it one of their dev people would do it for a fee.

- Allen
S
stranger
stranger
S Offline
As I said above and not surprisingly VB doesnt support importing from 3 or 4 year old forums into VB -

first thing I have to do is try to get the ubb current - then attempt to import - I wasnt asking for bootleg copy I was asking for supported method to accomplish the task. Many packages have time bombed demos or demos that are crippled somehow - or try before you buy - I was just hoping.

VB devs dont do custom development for cash.

My $0.02
The general tone of the replies here would make it unlikely I would choose this product if I were in the market

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
It's not the tone, we'd love to help; it's the fact that we won't violate our licenses to anyone as we'd be out several hundred dollars for our licenses to help you make yours current to migrate elsewhere...

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Ford's not going to give you a crankshaft for your old mustang so you can trade it in for a Chevy, they'll sell you one tho.

Older vb scripts import older forum scripts. If they want you to buy their software they'd make available older scripts for you to use. Otherwise, open a support ticket here for Rick to take a look at, no-one here can assist you otherwise (as gizzy states above). And many people on the vb site do custom work for cash.

- Allen
Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
A path you could follow:

Renew your ubb license. This will get you member area access for $99. You do not to buy a new full license.
Upgrade to latest classic
If vbulletin can import that, you are set.

[Linked Image from siemons.org]
S
stranger
stranger
S Offline
Originally Posted by blaaskaak
A path you could follow:

Renew your ubb license. This will get you member area access for $99. You do not to buy a new full license.
Upgrade to latest classic
If vbulletin can import that, you are set.

So that means that a version of Classic is still available ?

I need to get to 6.3 to do the import - I sent an email to sales@groupee.com as was suggested and that address is invalid - also sent email using the contact form - no replies

Last edited by Silver_2000; 05/27/2008 8:29 PM. Reason: added version #
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
The latest version of UBB.Classic and UBB.Threads6 are in the member area for the purpose of migrating to UBB.Threads7.

The sales desk should also be able to be contacted at the "Support Options" link to the left.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Version 7.7.5 Images suddenly not displaying
by Stovebolt - 05/04/2024 11:19 AM
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 939 guests, and 146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29