Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#206789 02/19/2008 1:58 PM
We have been using UBB Classic(currently 6.7.0) for several years without any problems. I took over webmaster duties on our club site this past few months and am new at the workings. My problem is, our host (iPower) moved to a new platform and the board was down for several days. To resolve the problem I had to upgrade the hosting services and now everything is back to normal, except...... The email notification of new registrations doesn't work. I have tried everything I can think of, does anyone have any suggestions for me? Also, is there a list of all the files and directories used/needed by UBB Classic? Thanks Tim

Today I installed the 6.7.3 upgrade, everything went very smoothly, however the email notification to the new users still isn't working. Users register ok and all the info in the registration que is there, and when I approve them the name shows up in the 'welcome newest member' area. OOps!! I just changed permissions to 777 and 755 an directed and now my whole UBB is inop with an 'unexpected condition' error, what could I have screwed up?? Any help would certainly be appreciated, Tim

I reset my permissions to 775 and it works again, must be a server issue as in the 'file permissions?' thread. Do you suppose moving to UBB Threads would fix my mail problems?

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
It certainly couldn't hurt to try.

The good thing is that you can install threads and import your data (then play with all the functions) whilst your existing classic board carries on as if nothing had happened.

Then when you decide to go live with threads (as I'm sure you will) you can do the import again and you'll already be familiar with the CP.

Thanks driv, I did install threads, as per the install guide, and did the long import process to get familiar with it as you suggested. I show 13 forums on the CP but the side bar tells me I have no forums installed, I am trying to figure this out, but, my question to you is: another topic on the threads board says that if you import the info again you will end up with all duplicates, if this is a fact is there a workaround? I really appreciate your help, Tim

Just a wild guess but what do you use to upload the files? Frontpage did have some issues with changing file permissions on ascii files.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Hi Ruben, I use CuteFTP pro to upload and set permissions. I will check them however. Thanks, Tim

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
You may try emptying your cache from the control panel as well.

I've run across this issue before when I wasn't able to complete the import.

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Originally Posted by Titen
Thanks driv, I did install threads, as per the install guide, and did the long import process to get familiar with it as you suggested. I show 13 forums on the CP but the side bar tells me I have no forums installed, I am trying to figure this out, but, my question to you is: another topic on the threads board says that if you import the info again you will end up with all duplicates, if this is a fact is there a workaround? I really appreciate your help, Tim

Sorry Tim, I missed your post earlier.

Well, yes, you will get duplicates.
But it's a test forum at the moment, yes? So it's only for mucking about with.
I don't mean to be flippant at all, that's just the way I see things.

You see, I imported data repeatedly until I got things just right.
Until I was familiar with the new CP.

(I should also mention that my classic board fell to pieces and I was driven to the upgrade - I'm soooooohhhh glad that I did!)

Anyway, you don't *need* to have duplicates - you can just drop the database or empty the tables (via phpMyAdmin for example) and then re-import.

Keep doing this until it's time to go live, then do one final import of all the 'freshest' data.

It's a win-win situation!

We all got worried /concerned when we first made the jump. A few weeks down the line, and you'll be wondering why you didn't do it sooner. smile

Things are getting clearer by the moment, Thanks everyone for your help, Tim

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
SOrry for missing your earlier posts, I usually check down here most visits to ubbcentral.

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Hey Tim,
I see you got threads installed... smile
How's it going?

You were sure correct about wondering why I didn't do it sooner, what a difference. I am only having a few issues, mostly my steep learning curve. One thing I am working on is my pages load very slow, sometimes 25 - 30 seconds (I have a topic on 'Teething Problems' in threads assistance) I have optimized, limited thread viewing, etc. to little avail. I then opened a ticket with my host (iPower) to try and get my SQL database moved to a less congested server, or whatever they do. So... I gess it is going fair-to-middlin'.

Thanks,

Tim

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 872 guests, and 248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29