Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#208091 03/08/2008 12:24 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
In searching for answers to another topic I read a few posts on security and logging. So I checked my settings and discovered that I had never set up my error logs for MySQL and Control Panel access. While attempting to set up my folders for the logs I discovered a "log" folder already in my "forum" directory already exists but I don't know what it is. I have several questions on this topic:

• What is the log file already in my forum directory? Is there a file automatically set up during UBB installation?
  • What data is in these logs and what program should I use to read them? They are unreadable in Notepad.
  • Where is the best place to store log files, in the forum directory or above the root directory? I do not have permission to create folders above the root but I may be able to put them in my cgi_bin directory or ask my ISP to create a folder for me.
  • When setting up the logs for MySQL and Control Panel are we supposed to use the PATH or the URL?
  • What permissions are recommended for the log folders and files?
  • I have log files dating back to 2006. Should I purge any files and how far back should I begin purging?
  • What is your recommendation for "Maximum Control Panel Log Size" and "Maximum Number of Archived Logs?"
  • What is the benefit to error logs and is this something that is strongly recommended?

Thank You! smile

Ford diesel master technician by day...
Webmaster by night! cool
FordDoctorsDTS.com running UBB Threads 7.5.4.2p2
FordDoctor #208098 03/08/2008 3:47 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Wow, that's a lotta log questions smile

- Error logs are useful if you are seeing errors. You can paste the results here to help get answers. Since I see you are still running 7.0.2 you are probably seeing errors wink

- there really is no recommendation that fits everyone, size would depend on how much room you have on the hard drive. I'd keep at least a month's worth tho.

- if you haven't used them so far purge anything older than a month, you can make a backup of them first if you like.

- paths are used

- you can store them anywhere, but it's best to put them where others can't access

- they are read from within ubb.threads, in the control panel

- yes

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
AllenAyres #208135 03/08/2008 11:05 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
Thank you Allen. Actually, my Forums are running perfectly to be honest. On occasion my server is really slow and pages don't load or take forever. The only real problem that presents other than being annoying is at times my members hit the submit button two or three times causing multiple duplicate posts. I was reading about others having problems and thought that having logs would be helpful IF something were to start going awry. Let me ask one more question... you mentioned that since I am still running 7.0.2 I would probably be seeing errors... would it really be to my benefit to update? I would have to pay again to get access to the members area and I don't see any new features that I could do without. If you think the newer versions are more stable and bring many performance and security benefits I am all ears!

Ford diesel master technician by day...
Webmaster by night! cool
FordDoctorsDTS.com running UBB Threads 7.5.4.2p2
FordDoctor #208137 03/08/2008 11:39 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I was kidding about the errors wink

About the update - it's always good karma to stay up with current stable versions (notice I didn't mention beta versions or even x.0 versions):
- one - it makes sure if you do see an error it's not related to the older version you are running;
- two - all known security issues stay fixed in current versions (there's at least one that I know of fixed recently - staying current means your chance of losing ALL your data to some script kiddie is much less, way more valuable than the $99 it takes to renew)
- three - speed issues have been corrected in more recent versions (it could be the slowness of your forum is due to the shoutbox in older versions)
- four - you get access to all the cool features being released in the newer versions

There's other reasons I am sure, but I have a cold and am sleepy smile

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 920 guests, and 238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29