Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

Apple Releases Safari 3.1
Press Release
Source: Apple

Apple Releases Safari 3.1
Tuesday March 18, 8:30 am ET
The World's Fastest Browser Now on Mac and Windows

CUPERTINO, Calif., March 18 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Apple® today introduced Safari(TM) 3.1, the world's fastest web browser for Mac® and Windows PCs. Safari loads web pages 1.9 times faster than IE 7 and 1.7 times faster than Firefox 2. Safari also runs JavaScript up to six times faster than other browsers, and is the first browser to support the latest innovative web standards needed to deliver the next generation of highly interactive Web 2.0 experiences*. Safari 3.1 is available immediately as a free download at http://www.apple.com/safari for both Mac OS® X and Windows.

"Safari 3.1 for Mac and Windows is blazingly fast, easy to use and features an elegant user interface," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "And best of all, Safari supports the latest audio, video and animation standards for an industry-leading Web 2.0 experience."

The incredible performance of Safari, combined with its elegant user interface, lets users spend more time surfing the web and less time waiting for pages to load. Safari features an intuitive browsing experience with drag-and-drop bookmarks, easy-to-organize tabs, an integrated Find that shows the number of matches in a page and a built-in RSS reader to quickly scan the latest news and information.

Safari 3.1 is the first browser to support the new video and audio tags in HTML 5 and the first to support CSS Animations. Safari also supports CSS Web Fonts, giving designers limitless choices of fonts to create stunning new web sites.

Pricing & Availability

Safari 3.1 is available immediately as a free download at http://www.apple.com/safari for both Mac OS X and Windows users. Safari software updates are delivered seamlessly through Apple's Software Update application, which automatically checks for updates.

Safari 3.1 for Mac OS X requires Mac OS X Leopard® or Mac OS X Tiger® version 10.4.11, a minimum of 256MB of memory and is designed to run on any intel-based Mac or a Mac with a PowerPC G5, G4 or G3 processor and built-in FireWire®. Safari 3.1 for Windows requires Windows XP or Windows Vista, a minimum of 256MB of memory and a system with at least a 500 MHz intel Pentium processor.

* Performance will vary based on system configuration, network connection
and other factors. HTML and JavaScript benchmarks based on VeriTest's
iBench Version 5.0 using default settings running on an iMac® 2.4 GHz
Intel Core 2 Duo system running Windows XP, with 1GB of RAM.

Apple ignited the personal computer revolution in the 1970s with the Apple II and reinvented the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh. Today, Apple continues to lead the industry in innovation with its award-winning computers, OS X operating system and iLife and professional applications. Apple is also spearheading the digital media revolution with its iPod portable music and video players and iTunes online store, and has entered the mobile phone market with its revolutionary iPhone.

© 2008 Apple Inc. All rights reserved. Apple, the Apple logo, Mac, Mac OS, Macintosh, Safari, Leopard, Tiger, FireWire and iMac are trademarks of Apple. Other company and product names may be trademarks of their respective owners.

I have it installed for testing, and do kinda like it. Not sure I notice it being twice as fast as Firefox, though. And until Safari includes third party plugins like Adblock, I won't use it as my default browser. But it is a very nice browser in general. And not only does it check spelling, but grammar, too! lol

GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 5.6.40 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 (was 5.6.41-84.1) / Apache 2.4.54
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
Does this just install with out any conflicts with other browsers.
As i may have to be installing this.

( Jgeoff, where's that post about the flashing pm icon,
does yours still work < not blank > )

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

Mark, I haven't had any problems w/ Firefox after installing Safari...

As for the PM indicators, I have had no problems at all since creating the new one to loop indefinitely. (I see that thread has been tagged with [FIXED for 7.3b5] so I assume Rick is using the new icon now cool )

UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
cheers wink

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I thought there were all kinds of issues with the safari browser.

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
Like ??

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I have no idea, I've never used it, but just from what I've read most mac users preferred any browser over safari - these were mostly internet developers so maybe it had to do with javascript or standards or something similar.

- Allen
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
An Argentinian security researcher has discovered two flaws in Apple's Safari for Windows browser

But they keep telling us it's so safe and it's the best?

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

...and that's never happened with IE?? lolz wink

UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
tried the new safari -- it's excellent browser..

but.... i'll still stick with FF for now smile

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Originally Posted by jgeoff
...and that's never happened with IE?? lolz wink
Has happened with EVERY browser known to mankind. Just a part of computing.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

Exactly my point, Doc. wink

And SD, I'm sticking with FF for now, too. It's still the best. But I'd certainly choose Safari over IE any day of the week! wink

UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I chose FFox over IE/Opera; Safari doesn't meet my requirements at this point...

I'm looking forward to FFox3 though wink

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I thought you were looking forward to Lynx wink

I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Safari could not open the page “http://www.apple.com/startpage/” because the server is not responding

Good start LOL

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted by Ian
Safari could not open the page “http://www.apple.com/startpage/” because the server is not responding

Keywords being... THE SERVER is not responding. wink

UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Apple's server. Likely because they duped millions of users into installing a browser they didn't ask for and were unprepared for these millions of users making page requests to this server.

Serves 'em right.

This thread for sale. Click here! [Linked Image from navaho.infopop.cc]
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
hehe, they tried to get me to install it with an update to itunes, no thanks - 2 browsers (IE and FF) are enough smile

- Allen
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

IE doesn't count as a viable browser. tongue

Maybe I'm a little biased... I used Macs at work for at least 3 years -- enough to permanently place my Start menu bar on the top of my screen even in Windows for the past decade!

C'mon, admit it -- "pull-down" menus and all -- you know it makes much more sense to pull-down, not drag-up! Freakin' M$ copycats trying the opposite B.S....! Put your Start menu on TOP! You'll love it, cuz it makes more sense -- trust me smile

Anyway, I pretty much hated iTunes til I got the iPhone last Summer. Now, it's okay. I hardly ever use it at all beyond synching, but, it functions. :shrug:

And I wasn't trying to push Safari, just relate the news. It may have some good things going for it, and some bad things, I don't know -- I still use Firefox as my default. But it's always good to test with the Top Four. (No, I don't yet have the "100/100" Opera browser installed... lol)

UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I tried the start menu on top; anoyed me... Though I do have a seperate menu up top in Aston... I'll show you a SS some time wink...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
It's not a DRAG UP on Windows, it's a click. The way you have to HOLD the mouse button down on the Mac is annoying. MAC is a great system, so is Linux, so is Windows - they're all great and each has pros and cons and each of us work differently.

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
Safari browser allows Mac to be easily taken over at hacker convention, Vista, Ubuntu machines survive the day

It has not been a good couple weeks for Apple and Safari. First Opera knocked it from its position as sole 100 percent compatible Acid3 browser. Then it tried to force iTunes users to unintentionally download the browser as part of an iTunes update, which included a pre-checked install option for Safari. The move was met with broad criticism, including from Mozilla's CEO, who commented that Apple was bordering "on malware distribution practices." Finally, Safari users who updated to v3.1 reported many bugs and crashes.

Now the browser, which Apple CEO Steve Jobs once called the "most innovative browser in the world and the most powerful browser in the world", has had more bad news. At the CanSecWest Show, an annual security conference, it was found that the Safari browser was surprisingly insecure, allowing successful attacks on Mac computers.

CanSecWest sponsors an annual hacking contest, which seeks to recognize vulnerabilities and give a comparative analysis of OS security. A Mac, Vista machine, and Ubuntu box survived the first round, which only allowed pre-authentication attacks – a successful attack would have yielded a $20,000 prize. However, on the second day, the flood gates were opened and hackers were allowed to use default-installed client applications.

The Mac fell within minutes, hijacked by security researcher Charlie Miller. Miller compromised the computer through security flaws in the new Safari 3.1 browser, which he declined to make public. For his takeover via the new vulnerability, Miller netted a sweet prize of $10,000. Surprisingly, the hackers were unable to gain control of the Vista or Ubuntu machines that day.

On the third day, hackers were allowed to exploit popular third-party applications. Hackers found the Vista machine surprisingly hard to crack in what they thought would be an "easy pickings" day. The improved security is likely owing largely to SP1, perhaps because of NX support for heap memory. In the end it was taken down by a cross-platform Flash Player attack. The Ubuntu machine survived the day.

Some point that the Mac and others may be even more vulnerable than the show indicates as some have noted that a pre-authentication vulnerability might command a price of $50,000 or more elsewhere, making an exploit at the show unprofitable. According to eWeek's security analysts, "Safari is prone to a remote code-execution vulnerability because it fails to adequately handle regular expressions with large, nested repetition counts. Inaccurate compilation lengths are calculated, and an overflow results."

Miller didn't even have to use new vulnerabilities also known for Safari. The first is a simple overflow attack using zip files. The second attack allows injection of content in a window belonging to a trusted site.
A recent independent analysis confirmed that Apple patches its vulnerabilities slower than Microsoft. The analysis followed a controversial Microsoft report by Jeff Jones, known for trashing Firefox for its bugs. The report indicated that 36 vulnerabilities in Vista were fixed over a total of nine patching events, and 30 unpatched vulnerabilities remained, while a total of 116 vulnerabilities were fixed in OS X over 17 patching events, with 41 unpatched vulnerabilities.

Apple's patches last year indicated Apple's slower than acceptable patching pace. It included patches for four vulnerabilities known since 2006 and two known since 2005. The oldest of these, a vulnerability in Apache, had a fix released by Apache in 2005.

Security experts point out that despite Apple's poor security, its machines remain less attacked than Windows machines. Many believe this is simply a matter of market share. With Mac sales on the rise, there may soon be a large increase in Apple-targeted malware and takeovers with the Safari browsing taking the brunt of the attacks.

Sourced from Daily Tech

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
The first part is, to me, a matter of "if it's connected to the internet, someone eventually will find a way to hack it". The last 3 paragraphs are what's bothersome - fix the issues as quickly as possible when they are found.

Odd that we don't hear about this in the Mac commercials...

- Allen
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Originally Posted by ntdoc
It's not a DRAG UP on Windows, it's a click. The way you have to HOLD the mouse button down on the Mac is annoying.

Well it's not really a PULL DOWN, literally, either. Both are just clicks. I was just using opposite terminology. laugh Every other menu on Windows works from the top/down except the Start menu. Why is that? They're just trying to be different and not look like total copycats. wink

I never did like the Mac's 1-button mouse much, but got used to it. At this point, though, I cannot live without a 3-button scroll mouse!

UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I cannot live without a cordless trackwheel wink...

Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I have this mouse at home Lachesis

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Crazy mouse...

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Nightcrawler), 1,165 guests, and 234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29