Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 811
old hand
old hand
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 811
Thought I'd throw this out there to see how you guys would handle this. I have a upstanding, longtime female member on a predominantly male forum. Occasionally, she gets a little sensitive about replies on threads she has posted on. They are not over the top criticisms, maybe just slight jibs, subtle criticisms or typical ball breaking.

She's come directly to me via PM on certain instances. Below is an example.

How would you guys respond?
a. Say not everyone will get along. Just deal with it.
b. Recommend she PM the offending people and try to come to some resolution amongst themselves.
c. Just politely play the role of listener and say let me know if becomes more of a problem
d. other?

Quote
Hi Mitch, how are you - hope you've been OK.

This is so strange and frankly I dont' understand it. What is up with anytime anyone mentions the
Keys, there is a small contingent who, it appears, feel they own the place and no other thoughts
matter.

This person asked for some info so I tried to be helpful and offered some things I've done over
the years as I've been going there since the early 90s.

This antagonistic attitude is disheartening, and frankly spoils the friendly atmosphere here. I
don't know why they feel they need to be like that, I really don't. People need a lot of
information when they travel, and trying to help someone - what is wrong with that?

I dont' want you to do anything, but I just wanted to vent I guess. Try to help someone and you
get dissed. Nice.

Thanks for listening.

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,798
Likes: 2
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,798
Likes: 2
Not knowing any of the participants, I would guess "C" would be your best answer - she states she's just venting - thank her for everything she does on the site and if she needs to vent just vent away smile

Marriage Counseling 101 - usually women just want you to listen, not fix. smile


- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659
Likes: 1
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 1,659
Likes: 1

I agree -- especially not knowing the complete context.

But from experience, knowing (assuming) the complete context... it could be a fruitless battle. But even then, C is probably still the right approach. wink But I have, over time, used all those approaches...my bb guidelines stipulate that one should ignore those they don't particularly agree with if that causes them problems... so... yeah.... wink



GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 8.1.34 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 / Apache 2.4.67
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,235
veteran
veteran
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,235
D.

Personally, if I am the administrator / owner of a forum then the buck stops with me. It sounds like this member has been around for a long time and is turning to you for help, not just winging. How long has the other member involved been a part of the forums and what kind of contributions have they made.

I think that if a member goes out of their way to help someone and they are disrespected for that then the helper deserves the backing and support of the admin / moderators, not to be brushed off with a whimpy and patronising, "oh well never mind, ignore it and it will go away" attitude.

I would be very diplomatic about it and approach the person responsible with the view that you have read their comments and think that other members of your community might be offended, upset, insulted, etc. by them and to bear in mind that this is a public forum where everyone is accepted and no amount of bullying, intimidation, disparagement, etc. will be tolerated.

You can't just sit back and watch, it will spiral out of control. Act now, show them who's boss, but be fair not ruthless, and prevent any further escalations. Do this and your members will respect you. Leave it to play itself out and you'll be a loser in more ways than one.

Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,798
Likes: 2
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 1,798
Likes: 2
I'd agree except that he said it isn't something spiraling out of control, "They are not over the top criticisms, maybe just slight jibs, subtle criticisms or typical ball breaking". This part is the most telling "I dont' want you to do anything, but I just wanted to vent I guess."

So, unless it's something I think is causing issues, I'd just listen to the person wanting to vent. Some people really are just extra sensitive. It also depends on the culture of the forum - I'd be less lenient on a forum about flowers and doilies.... then I'm all over "D" pretty quickly smile


- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 514
addict
addict
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 514
*everything that Allen said* and truth be told sometimes get on people's nerves at different times of the month. I have groups that I have to ban every 6-8 weeks because for some strange reason they go CRAZY so I have their pattern down now and I just mod them differently during those periods.... they usually thank me after the fact.
But if she says that she doesn't want you to do anything and is just venting she guesses, she is looking for you to do C. Offer help if it does "go over the top" and let her know that you are watching the threads... Sometimes I have learned that it isn't what you actually do to moderate, it is the fact that you show a presence and legit concern for all the poster's content and that means more than you ever actually have to "do".

Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 811
old hand
old hand
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 811
Yeah, I chalked this one up to letting her vent and the whole thing died down.

You're right Dunny. Here's a quote I live by when it comes to moderating forums and dealing with people: "The problem with crazy people is that they're not crazy all of the time."


Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
PHP 8 bug in membermanage.tmpl
by phoenix011235 - 09/08/2026 7:47 PM
Are any of these legitmate?
by Baldeagle - 09/06/2026 1:37 PM
8.0.1 Patch Changelog Discussion
by isaac - 11/26/2025 1:34 PM
Upgraded to ver8 - now can't login
by phoenix011235 - 10/24/2024 8:50 AM
Who's Online Now
4 members (mmem700, vscope, SteveS, 1 invisible), 668 guests, and 128 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Ride safe!
Ride safe!
by Morgan, December 7
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.1.0
(Snapshot build 20260527)