Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
Naz
N Offline
Hi - Is it possible to have a set up - where you have UBBT installed on your local machine, as a stand-alone setup, for the purpose of testing new code or changes to code, as a stepping stone before finally deciding to upload your deltas to the production server.

Naz.

Naz.
[The world is big enough for everyone - so be HAPPY smile ]
Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
Yes, you can setup private copies for testing purposes. That's allowed by the license.

I also find it way easier to develop using the local machine, just saving and testing right away. No need to upload.

[Linked Image from siemons.org]
N
Naz
N Offline
great smile

Last edited by Nas; 07/04/2008 4:19 PM.

Naz.
[The world is big enough for everyone - so be HAPPY smile ]
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
that's the only way to fly ! wink

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I use Uniform Server on another machine that I run a ubb install on just for testing smile

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
Wampserver 5 is better (imho) laugh

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
So being as these are Windows based servers, does it make much of a difference if UBB finally ends up on a Linux box - albeit on Apache?

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Sirdude
Wampserver 5 is better (imho) laugh
Tried it, didn't like it... lol...

Originally Posted by driv
So being as these are Windows based servers, does it make much of a difference if UBB finally ends up on a Linux box - albeit on Apache?
No, not really, PHP/MySQL is the key wink...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
from what i've seen, you are much better off to run ubbt on a Linux box for the live site.

this is expecially the case for large DBs. and by large, i really mean HUGE wink

for development however, loading up WAMP (takes 10mins and you are running) on a windows box is so easy, that it doesn't make sense to have a Linux box to play around with stuff.

now, if you truly LOVE linux and have a home system with that installed.. by all means go for it!

the only pain in the arse for development is Imagemagick. I just ignore that feature on my development environment and use GD2.

works fine, lasts a long time smile

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Sirdude
from what i've seen, you are much better off to run ubbt on a Linux box for the live site.
agree

journeyman
journeyman
Sorry to dig this post up but it answers 90% of my questions and the remaining 10% is on topic...

Anyway, as far as creating a dev environment for the typical LAMP environment goes: Has anyone written up a "best practices" type of checklist to making a copy of the environment on other hardware? Eg: Is it better to go the backup/restore route for the db? I'm quite new to mysql, but every other rdbms I've used doesn't easily allow for cross-platform dump/loads - or at least there is some "catch" to the process.

The rest seems somewhat trivial - moving/altering the apache config and the ubb directory with the php pages.

Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
Good thing is, you can always do a practise run. make the backup, move the backup, test it.

Don't use the moment supreme to do your first test of the whole proces.

[Linked Image from siemons.org]
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Well, when I test i just test with dummy data; but easiest thing to do to work off of board data would be to just follow a backup/restore procedure and just point your config files on the local server to the proper information to connect to its local db...

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
Originally Posted by bakerzdosen
Sorry to dig this post up but it answers 90% of my questions and the remaining 10% is on topic...

Anyway, as far as creating a dev environment for the typical LAMP environment goes: Has anyone written up a "best practices" type of checklist to making a copy of the environment on other hardware? Eg: Is it better to go the backup/restore route for the db? I'm quite new to mysql, but every other rdbms I've used doesn't easily allow for cross-platform dump/loads - or at least there is some "catch" to the process.

The rest seems somewhat trivial - moving/altering the apache config and the ubb directory with the php pages.

the only thing i always watch out for is the main difference in mysql on Windows vs Linux systems as regards table names. Out of the box, mysql on windows makes all the table names lower case. Linux preserves case.

since ubbt uses upper case in the table names, it can be a gotcha. so i always edit my 'my.cnf' file on the windows box (even if it's running WAMP) to NOT change table names to lower case. that way compatibility is maintained.

smile

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 859 guests, and 196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29