Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
Naz
N Offline
Hi - I recently purchased UBB Threads and I needed a 'feature / Script / Cron Job' or something ( without costing me an arm and a leg ) that allows me to :

1. Automatically checks at a specified time on a regular basis:
to see if in any of the Forums or Sub...Sub-Forums,
with the exception of listed 'Forums or Sub...Sub-Forums'
contained within file name: 'FileExceptionA1' and PRIVATE 'Forums or Sub...Sub-Forums'

- do they have any NEW post(s) added to them since last Run-cycle.

If yes, then parse through these 'Forum(s) or Sub...Sub-Forum(s)' which match the above description, and send a single consolidated email, 'EmailA1' to all the users of 'UBB threads'

'EmailA1' should contain Forum name(s) if any and within them the subject name(s) if any (as web-links) - for the new post(s) of current Run-cycle, and also including 'x' number of characters ( equivalent to roughly two lines ) beneath the Subject name link(s).

2. Automatically check on a specified time on a regular basis - to see if in the specified 'Forum(s) or Sub...Sub-Forum(s)', contained within file name: 'FileB1', if any new post(s) exist since the last Run-cycle, and if so then send another email, 'EmailB1' : a textual version of the post(s) - to all the users of UBB threads. If 'FileB1' is empty then 'EmailB1' should not be sent.

3. File name: 'FileC1' contains specified 'Forum(s) or Sub...Sub-Forum(s)' and along side each one of these Name(s), is another list of Sub-Name(s) containing 'Forum(s) or Sub...Sub-Forum(s)'. So the order would be something like:

Name [delimiter A] Sub-Name(s) ( seperated by [delimiter(s) B] [Carriage Return] ) ...... Name [delimiter A] Sub-Name(s) ( seperated by [delimiter(s) B] [Carriage Return] )

Automatically check on a specified time on a regular basis - to see for each specified Name : meaning 'Forum or Sub...Sub-Forum', listed within 'FileC1', if any post(s) exist within it, then for each Name send an email containing the Full-Post(s) to all the Sub-Names ( meaning 'Forum(s) or Sub...Sub-Forum(s)' ) that are paired with that Name

If Sub-Name has the value 'GLOBAL' then the Full-Post(s) within Name should be sent to All the users of UBB threads.

Also the ability to Manually perform this operation at any time by a Remote-Admin, dynamically such that the 'Name and Sub-Name(s)' pairs can be provided as a parameters - is also a requirement.

4. Automatically check on a specified time on a regular basis for a list of all the Users who do not want an email to be sent out and produce a list of these users contained within a file named 'UserEmailExceptions' and send an email containing this list to the Admin.

5. I do not know if this is possible, but is there a way to automate the process of dealing with emails that bounce back, and is this a problem as far as the web-hosting company is concerned.

If anyone can get back to me with any comments and quotes for how much it would cost - I would be very grateful indeed.

Many thanks,
Naz.

Naz.
[The world is big enough for everyone - so be HAPPY smile ]
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
sounds like an RSS feed could do what you want.. no ?

aren't you just grabbing all 'new content' in various forums and making that available to a list of subscribed users in email form?

they could just as easily subscribe to your RSS feed and have them come in every 10mins (update)..

sooo, my question is to why you feel email is the transport mechanism.. :shrug:

N
Naz
N Offline
I am modeling my system on another system which is working extremely well and very popular, and their philosophy is to send regular updates to 'Registered Users' as opposed to 'Subscribed Users'....... there is reasoning behind that and I guess I want to duplicate that smile

Naz.
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
ok, i won't quibble with the design reasoning laugh different strokes for different folks..

yah, it's all doable..

one thing would be to keep your site off spam lists, if you are constantly sending out tonz of emails..

other than that, its a modification to stock and should prolly be addressed over @ ubbdev

oh one last thing.. the bounce backs are always a pain and that would involve more work than the other points combined wink

N
Naz
N Offline
Roughly speaking what kind of damage are we talking about in your own estimation... cry

P.S: Do you have the link for ubbdev

Naz.
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
when you type 'ubbdev', it creates the link for you in these forums laugh

so just click on your link and it takes you there wink

as for an estimate, that can be done in PM..

N
Naz
N Offline
Originally Posted by Sirdude
when you type 'ubbdev', it creates the link for you in these forums laugh

so just click on your link and it takes you there wink

as for an estimate, that can be done in PM..

Sorry.... for not getting back to you ....I am re-visiting the spec. and also trying to familiarize myself with the functionality of the 'Demo install of UBB.threads'.

As soon as I have produced a second re-vision of spec. I'll try beeping u with a PM.

thank you, will be in touch very soon....

Naz.

Naz.
N
Naz
N Offline
Originally Posted by Sirdude
ok, i won't quibble with the design reasoning laugh different strokes for different folks..

As a Minority Community in Europe, many people have this great desire to Stand Up and are motivated to do Good for their community and for every one as a whole.
I have found that there is goodness in the people and they genuinely want to be part of something and have a real desire to contribute their skills in various initiatives that materialize through the creative thinking as a result of the community spirit that is reaching new heights as people compete to do good work and realize the satisfaction through helping others and placing mechanisms which will continue to help others in the future.

But the problem is that your average person is not going to be on the computer screen for any length of time, most likely he will be on there for enough time to check his emails for the day. This system is being used by large sections of the community who receive dozens of emails a day and people are all too willing to put up with it because of this great desire and motivation that they are part of this family and want to share in building a model community that is strong and capable of helping each other.

What I am considering doing is to improve it by providing an enhanced community board and by far reduce the number of emails from sometimes 10-20 a day, to something like one consolidated email a day. smile

I Sincerely hope that this answers any concerns that may arise.

Naz.
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
i have no concerns --- i was just pointing out what i thought wink

feel free to decide to do it whatever way you want laugh

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
3 members (rootman, Gizmo, Nightcrawler), 562 guests, and 186 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29