Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
journeyman
journeyman
C Offline
User on my website are sparadically getting a 403 Error in our forums. They are able to see other pages on the site but they get this error sometimes when they go to the forums. Any suggestions on what in the forum software could be causing this.

Red Hat Enterprise Linux Test Page
This page is used to test the proper operation of the Apache HTTP server after it has been installed. If you can read this page, it means that the Apache HTTP server installed at this site is working properly.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you are a member of the general public:
The fact that you are seeing this page indicates that the website you just visited is either experiencing problems, or is undergoing routine maintenance.

If you would like to let the administrators of this website know that you've seen this page instead of the page you expected, you should send them e-mail. In general, mail sent to the name "webmaster" and directed to the website's domain should reach the appropriate person.

For example, if you experienced problems while visiting www.example.com, you should send e-mail to "webmaster@example.com".

For information on Red Hat Enterprise Linux, please visit the Red Hat, Inc. website. The documentation for Red Hat Enterprise Linux is available on the Red Hat, Inc. website.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you are the website administrator:
You may now add content to the directory /var/www/html/. Note that until you do so, people visiting your website will see this page, and not your content. To prevent this page from ever being used, follow the instructions in the file /etc/httpd/conf.d/welcome.conf.

You are free to use the image below on web sites powered by the Apache HTTP Server:

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
Are you running the server? Or paying for shared hosting?
Because I would say this is definitely a server issue (not threads). So, an issue for your host to sort out.

C
journeyman
journeyman
C Offline
The site is on it's own box.

D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
I can only tell you that this happened to me a few years ago.
I contacted my host and it was fixed within the hour.

Sorry, I know this doesn't help much, but at least I can tell you that it's not a threads issue (or at least it wasn't in my case.)

BTW my site was and still is, on a shared server.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Anything odd in your webserver error logs. If you can repeat the issue, then check the error logs at that time to see if it has anything that might help.

C
journeyman
journeyman
C Offline
The server company sent this to me and asked that I ask the software creators about this......

Looks like mod_security is blocking the requests with the following:

[Thu Jul 31 11:01:07 2008] [error] [client 38.99.161.194] ModSecurity: Warning. Match of "rx (?:\\\\b(?:(?:i(?:nterplay|hdr|d3)|m(?:ovi|thd)|(?:ex|jf)if|f(?:lv|ws)|varg|cws)\\\\b|r(?:iff\\\\b|ar!B)|gif)|B(?:%pdf|\\\\.ra)\\\\b)" against "RESPONSE_BODY" required. [id "970902"] [msg "PHP source code leakage"] [severity "WARNING"] [hostname "www.jamaicans.com"] [uri "/forums/ubbthreads.php"] [unique_id "@x9qzwoLCgIAAF@55R0AAABK"]
[Thu Jul 31 11:01:09 2008] [error] [client 72.12.29.207] ModSecurity: Warning. Match of "rx (?:\\\\b(?:(?:i(?:nterplay|hdr|d3)|m(?:ovi|thd)|(?:ex|jf)if|f(?:lv|ws)|varg|cws)\\\\b|r(?:iff\\\\b|ar!B)|gif)|B(?:%pdf|\\\\.ra)\\\\b)" against "RESPONSE_BODY" required. [id "970903"] [msg "ASP/JSP source code leakage"] [severity "WARNING"] [hostname "www.jamaicans.com"] [uri "/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=8&page=1"] [unique_id "@0Ku6woLCgIAAF@55TkAAABt"]

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
ModSecurity rarely plays well with any forum software. It blocks way too much considering that the POST data in forums can contain just about anything.

Most people disable this completely for the domain or just for the forums directory.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Version 7.7.5 Images suddenly not displaying
by Stovebolt - 05/04/2024 11:19 AM
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (Geoff, 1 invisible), 692 guests, and 171 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29