Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Within the next version or two the control panel is going to be overhauled. As a forum admin, what are some of the things that would make life easier for you while managing your forums?

The CP interface will end up being totally changed, so you can list your suggestions for that or features you'd like to see as well.

Please keep this to Control Panel enhancements only. Any other requests can be posted as new topics.

Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
I think database cleanup tools would be very welcome.

Stuff I posted on ubbdev, ghost posts, ghost topics, ghost polls, ghost attachments etc.

Post notifications in a database

Easier permission handling.

IP banlist in general, but also per user, so you can backtrack for who the IP ban is. Lots more, I think I'll have to check my own mods for even more control panel suggestions smile

[Linked Image from siemons.org]
veteran
veteran
Navigation:

There are now so many settings in so many different areas, tabs within sections, multiple ways of getting to the same thing, it's very easy to get lost when trying to find what you want. How many posts do you see on here about "I know I've seen it but can't remember where it is..." or "where do I change this / that / the other...". Also, some settings are in the Admin profile which is the last place you'd think to look.

Member Management:

I also think that the Member Management should have the same access to the options in User Profile / Preferences. Anything that is available to a user in their profile or preferences should automatically be accessible to Administrators via the CP ( ...and an option to stop a user from editing their profile ).

H
journeyman
journeyman
H Offline
It would be nice to be able to easily turn off the calendar and not even show it in the header.

H
journeyman
journeyman
H Offline
A really nice feature would be to create a bridge between Threads and Joomla's CMS.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by harry
A really nice feature would be to create a bridge between Threads and Joomla's CMS.
Not a CP enhancement...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Veteran
Veteran
I think that the ability to see all IP addresses used in post's by a single user like in UBB.Classic would be a plus again since many community users interact from both work and home. This would stop many administrators from pulling out their hair on IP banning and then seeing that the user has more then one IP they have used many times.

Another thing would be since the registration holding link pops up for those waiting to be approved is right there in the first page in the members area it may be possible to make saved member searches also a direct link there to get to those without going through 3 things to get to that point as well.

Also add a way to edit subscriptions length and manual stuff for an admin since not everyone's servers are compatible with the paypal ipn system. This would allow you to manually approve it and set the time limit or edit the time limit and such. This is a must as far as I can see.

Mass Upload for avatars adding to the system as well as gremlins and other images used on the board. A single addition and stuff gets time consuming when adding perhaps 200 avatars at one time. In past threads versions you could upload the stuff into the proper folder and the message system would pick it right up, this is no longer working and you have to manually enter one at a time.

I will think of more while sleeping on it, LOL.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Thelockman
I think that the ability to see all IP addresses used in post's by a single user like in UBB.Classic would be a plus again since many community users interact from both work and home. This would stop many administrators from pulling out their hair on IP banning and then seeing that the user has more then one IP they have used many times.
I like..

Also add a way to edit subscriptions length and manual stuff for an admin since not everyone's servers are compatible with the paypal ipn system. This would allow you to manually approve it and set the time limit or edit the time limit and such. This is a must as far as I can see.

I like..

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Originally Posted by Gizmo
I like..

I like..

ME too

How's all this "hopie-changie" working out for you???
H
Addict
Addict
H Offline
The ability to change a user's password without having to loginas the user. I had this ThreadsDev mod in the version 6 series.

Better stats by the day, week, month and year would be great.

Overall, I've been satisfied with the admin CP that we currently have. I think it is well thought out and would be hard to improve upon.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I'd love to see the ability to change the login name as well wink

H
journeyman
journeyman
H Offline
I'd love to see:

1. An easier (layman's terms) way to navigate through the Styles menu. For example, what do .t_outer, .alt-1 mean? One solution, if programmers prefer to leave it in computer-speak is to provide a hover over these terms so that we non-pro can hover over these things and an explanation would pop-up as to what these things are.
2. Related to the first, a graphical preview would be nice so we can see the overall effect before we make it live.

enthusiast
enthusiast
Display REGISTRATION EMAIL when editing a user.

I've waited this feature for years... But still not seen in 7.3.1

English is not my native language. I try my best to express my thought precisely. I hope you understand what I mean. If any misunderstanding results from culture gaps, I apologize first.
I
Ian Offline
Carpal Tunnel
Carpal Tunnel
I Offline
Not sure if being able to register a user manually is a CP enhancement or a general feature, but in any event it would be nice to have the ability with in it.

H
Addict
Addict
H Offline
I was just thinking the same thing the other day.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I'd love the ability to register a user via the CP back from classic!

Y
Veteran
Veteran
Y Offline
Something I forgot, extend the permission matrix to everything in control panel.

We promoted users to admin just because they have to do specific tasks (for instance, somebody who handles new users). But I wouldn't want them to touch most of the settings.

[Linked Image from siemons.org]
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by blaaskaak
We promoted users to admin just because they have to do specific tasks (for instance, somebody who handles new users). But I wouldn't want them to touch most of the settings.

I second that.

And YES bring back some of the features that Classic had.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
With wordpress I can update widgets, modules and even wordpress itself with 1-2 click(s) - when I sign into the control panel it checks for newer versions of everything installed and notifies me when a new version is available - 1-2 clicks later the update has been transferred to my server and then applied in 10-30 seconds.

thumbsup

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
Veteran
Veteran
I mentioned this in Your top feature you want for 7.5

Auto update utility.

Upload 2 files onto your server. hit the run file and tell it where your board is located. Have it then check your current running version then decide if it needs to update it or install it completely. After this it would unpack the proper files after closing your board and then set up everything for you.

This would be great as sometimes, even I do this, people upload it overwrite the wrong thing accidental and crash the board and then have to start over.

Notify a Post to appear in the CP

So i can manage EVERYTHING On-line and not having to check
a Local e-mail account to see if there is any reported post.

BOOM !! Version v7.6.1.1
People who inspire me Isaac ME Gizmo
B
stranger
stranger
B Offline
Originally Posted by Harold
The ability to change a user's password without having to loginas the user. I had this ThreadsDev mod in the version 6 series.

Better stats by the day, week, month and year would be great.

Overall, I've been satisfied with the admin CP that we currently have. I think it is well thought out and would be hard to improve upon.

I would love this feature too

barbara
Veteran
Veteran
One thing I would like to see that I always incorporate in my software control sections is not only the admin but a master administrator.

If your an admin on the current system here you can set up another user as an administrator in the control panel and system, however that new admin can now set up more admins and or take you out as an admin.

With a master administrator you can setup other admins but they can not set up other administrators or take you out as an administrator relieving you accidental of your administrative functions, this is like a security feature protecting the owner of a board who has others doing the administrative tasks.

Also a way to define what functions a non master admin can perform in the system.

I know the Global Mod is some what set up this way but it very limited on you can define on their duties as far as administrative. Leaving the current Global mod in tack but adding or splitting administrative levels would be a great addition.

H
Addict
Addict
H Offline
One thing that I had happen was an admin login as another admin, then he deleted himself. A few weeks later he changed his mind and we had to create a new user in his name and then hook up his old posts and PMs to that new account. This was with the old 6 series.

I agree with a few checks and limitations on the subordinate admins.

Hi, just updating from UbbClassic to 7.4 ...I don't see anywhere to get email notifications of new registrations as I got in Classic?

But....It appears the "register user" is missing in 7.4?????? Really rely on that in Classic. Do love the "become this user" feature.

Also, love the css control thingy having worked with css a lot this year, it really is genius....

logon as admin mystuff>preferences. At the very bottom is where you select it.
Oh not in the control panel but at the top of the forum under mystuff.

Last edited by Ruben Rocha; 10/28/2008 4:51 PM.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Thanks Ruben...appreciate that....

G
G Offline
Language Tool
  • Show original English text next to each field.
  • Button to reset field to the original and/or default.
  • When a language string is missing, show original English instead. Possibly generate an error in a log or something.
  • Search for strings that aren't translated. (i.e. same as English)
  • Edit multiple files at the same time.
  • Tool to find missing language strings.
  • Possibly AJAX update of string when leaving the field.
  • Show context for strings, especially short ones.

Portal Settings
  • Allow users to turn on/off/move portal boxes.
  • Portal column widths should be configurable.
  • Drag-and-drop to rearrange portal boxes.

Miscellaneous Control Panel Features
  • When editing forum permissions, the current forum being edited should be written CLEARLY in text. Not just be part of the switch drop-list.
  • Possibly changing a specific permission group on several forums at once. Adding/changing attachment size on all forums can be a chore.
  • Open/Close all permission groups when editing permissions.
  • Allow more than 20 (or whatever it is) user titles. Maybe it should automatically add 5 extra empty slots at the end?
  • Graemlin editor should allow graemlins of different image types, like png. Also, a batch upload would be nice.
  • Extract search queries from referer log and display list of searches.
  • Drag-and-drop moderators to forums on the moderator settings, to easily update which forums they should moderator.
  • Quick links on cp start page to most common tasks, possibly updateable by the admin.
  • Admin portal boxes, with a bunch of stuff interesting for admins, only shown on CP.

Database Tool
  • Describe tables (show table information).
  • Better backup, select group of tables (checkboxes, or by name?). Scheduled backups. Email the backup. Script to run after backup.
  • Repair table feature.
  • Link to browse table from table list.

I also second the requests for statistics, better IP-banning and IP-search, permissions for everything in the CP,

aka Olle Johansson
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I like your sugguestions gardener! smile

Veteran
Veteran
Possibly changing a specific permission group on several forums at once. Adding/changing attachment size on all forums can be a chore.

That would save me tons of time. When your running 20+ forums on a single site this would save tons of time.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Havenofsobriety), 522 guests, and 99 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29