Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

I've been with this hosting company for over 4 years, and UBB ran fine (hell, it ran better than their servers do! lol), but I come home today to this:

"Suspension of gbb on mrpaik.asmallorange.com was necessary due to Mysql abuse causing server overload:"
root@mrpaik [~]# mysqladmin processlist | grep gbb
| 7547 | gbb_admin | localhost | gbb_threads | Query | 22 | Opening tables | INSERT INTO ubbt_POSTS (POST_PARENT_ID,TOPIC_ID,POST_IS_TOPIC,POST_POSTED_TIME,POST_POSTER_IP,POST_S |
| 7556 | gbb_admin | localhost | gbb_threads | Query | 68 | closing tables | SELECT USER_ID,USER_DISPLAY_NAME
| 7557 | gbb_admin | localhost | gbb_threads | Query | 79 | closing tables | UPDATE ubbt_USER_PROFILE
| 7561 | gbb_admin | localhost | gbb_threads | Query | 70 | closing tables | DELETE FROM ubbt_fc_messages WHERE created < DATE_SUB(NOW(),INTERVAL '172800' SECOND) |
| 7576 | gbb_admin | localhost | gbb_threads | Query | 120 | closing tables | SELECT p.POST_ID, u.USER_DISPLAY_NAME, p.POST_POSTED_TIME, p.POST_POSTER_IP,
| 7590 | gbb_admin | localhost | gbb_threads | Query | 29 | closing tables | SELECT ONLINE_USER_TYPE,ONLINE_BROWSING_FORUM,COUNT(*)
| 7591 | gbb_admin | localhost | gbb_threads | Query | 33 | Opening tables | SELECT ONLINE_USER_TYPE,ONLINE_BROWSING_FORUM,COUNT(*)
| 7599 | gbb_admin | localhost | gbb_threads | Query | 71 | closing tables | SELECT t2.USER_TOPIC_VIEW_TYPE, t2.USER_TOPICS_PER_PAGE, t2.USER_SHOW_AVATARS, t2.USER_POSTS_PER_TOP |
| 7605 | gbb_admin | localhost | gbb_threads | Query | 95 | closing tables | update ubbt_ONLINE
| 7609 | gbb_admin | localhost | gbb_threads | Query | 68 | closing tables | SELECT userid, state, color, lang, roomid FROM ubbt_fc_connections WHERE userid IS NOT NULL AND room |
| 7610 | gbb_admin | localhost | gbb_threads | Query | 29 | closing tables | SELECT p.POST_ID, u.USER_DISPLAY_NAME, p.POST_POSTED_TIME, p.POST_POSTER_IP,
| 7612 | gbb_admin | localhost | gbb_threads | Query | 36 | Opening tables | SELECT t.TOPIC_REPLIES, t.TOPIC_VIEWS, t.TOPIC_LAST_REPLY_TIME, t.TOPIC_SUBJECT, t.TOPIC_TOTAL_RATES |
| 7618 | gbb_admin | localhost | gbb_threads | Query | 78 | closing tables | SELECT t2.USER_TIME_OFFSET,t2.USER_TOPIC_VIEW_TYPE,t2.USER_TIME_FORMAT, t1.USER_ID, t1.USER_DISPLAY_ |
| 7619 | gbb_admin | localhost | gbb_threads | Query | 76 | closing tables | SELECT t2.USER_TIME_OFFSET,t2.USER_TOPIC_VIEW_TYPE,t2.USER_TIME_FORMAT, t1.USER_ID, t1.USER_DISPLAY_ |
| 7621 | gbb_admin | localhost | gbb_threads | Query | 64 | Opening tables | SELECT USER_TIME_OFFSET,USER_TIME_FORMAT,USER_IGNORE_LIST, t1.USER_ID, t1.USER_DISPLAY_NAME, t1.USER |
| 7629 | gbb_admin | localhost | gbb_threads | Query | 44 | Opening tables | SELECT USER_TIME_OFFSET,USER_TIME_FORMAT,USER_IGNORE_LIST, t1.USER_ID, t1.USER_DISPLAY_NAME, t1.USER |
| 7630 | gbb_admin | localhost | gbb_threads | Query | 47 | closing tables | SELECT USER_TIME_OFFSET,USER_TIME_FORMAT,USER_IGNORE_LIST, t1.USER_ID, t1.USER_DISPLAY_NAME, t1.USER |
| 7646 | gbb_admin | localhost | gbb_threads | Query | 20 | Opening tables | SELECT t.TOPIC_REPLIES, t.TOPIC_VIEWS, t.TOPIC_LAST_REPLY_TIME, t.TOPIC_SUBJECT, t.TOPIC_TOTAL_RATES |
| 7651 | gbb_admin | localhost | gbb_threads | Query | 23 | Opening tables | SELECT FORUM_TITLE, CATEGORY_ID, FORUM_CUSTOM_HEADER,
| 7652 | gbb_admin | localhost | gbb_threads | Query | 27 | Opening tables | SELECT t2.USER_TIME_OFFSET,t2.USER_TOPIC_VIEW_TYPE,t2.USER_TIME_FORMAT, t1.USER_ID, t1.USER_DISPLAY_ |
| 7658 | gbb_admin | localhost | gbb_threads | Query | 21 | Opening tables | SELECT t.TOPIC_REPLIES, t.TOPIC_VIEWS, t.TOPIC_LAST_REPLY_TIME, t.TOPIC_SUBJECT, t.TOPIC_TOTAL_RATES |
| 7660 | gbb_admin | localhost | gbb_threads | Query | 19 | Opening tables | SELECT t2.USER_TOPIC_VIEW_TYPE, t2.USER_TOPICS_PER_PAGE, t2.USER_SHOW_AVATARS, t2.USER_POSTS_PER_TOP |
| 7661 | gbb_admin | localhost | gbb_threads | Query | 19 | Opening tables | SELECT t2.USER_TOPIC_VIEW_TYPE, t2.USER_TOPICS_PER_PAGE, t2.USER_SHOW_AVATARS, t2.USER_POSTS_PER_TOP |

I can't make heads or tails of what he's showing me here -- any ideas? I don't have that many active members on at a time (like a dozen?). What is this supposed to show me? I can't even get into my cPanel to check anything!!! cry

GangsterBB.NET (Ver. 7.6.1.1)
PHP Version 5.6.40 / MySQL 5.7.23-23 (was 5.6.41-84.1) / Apache 2.4.54
2007 Content Rulez Contest - Hon Mention
UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
The suspension has been removed. We will continue to monitor things. If the stability of the server is affected by MySQL activity on the account, we will have to re-apply the suspension.

Activity on the forums generated constant queries on the server which drove the load up.

We provided you with the list of query processes running at the time of suspension.

UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Are you sharing the server with others? The time some of those queries show they were running is pretty long. Some of those queries show they were running as long as 2 minutes. And mostly seem to be stuck in the opening/closing tables state.

If your sharing the server with others, you're somewhat handcuffed. What happens is, depending on their configuration, mysql can only have so many tables open at once. Once that limit is reached, then it has to wait for some other tables to close before it can open new ones. Until it can open them, they are going to be stuck in the Opening Tables state.

If they have it configured properly, then there should be a decent sized table_cache. This keeps a certain number of tables open. However, on a shared server those open tables are shared between everyone that's accessing the MySQL server. So, you're somewhat handcuffed if others are using the server fairly heavily as well.

Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah

That makes sense, Rick, thanks. Yeah, it's a shared server. Was pretty good most of the time the past 7 years (starting with Classic). Is there a way for me to check the table_cache settings? I suppose it's related to this?

Thanks, boss!

UBB.classic 6.7.2 - RIP
Veteran
Veteran
I run a very small hosting company, I'm not trying to pick up any new customers here so I will not mention the name or web address but...

I find these days that these large hosting companies will sell so low that companies my size can't afford to even give it away at their prices. These companies give it at less then $8 USD Per month. They tell you that your stuff is unrestricted in pretty much every way but when your running any type of application like UBB or PHP or what not then they suspend your account for CPU and Database usage more often then not.

These suspensions come at a price causing your online communities to suffer and loose traffic and users in the long term. Everything is automated and will clip your site in a heartbeat. I have been a member of another community for some time and quite often I go in and the site is suspended for CPU usage and so on. I mentioned my company to the person who owns the site and I was told that the price he is getting is a great price and my prices are too high and so on.

The moral of the post is that if your paying bottom dollar for your web hosting through some major corporation and they suspend your site for CPU and database usage then don't gripe as your getting the corporate treatment, nothing personal here they treat everyone like crap.

The smaller hosting companies will give you tons more latitude and resources and most likely glad to have you on board with them.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Yeh, I ran into these bottlenecks as well, just moved to a VPS to have dedicated resources and not another issue...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ruben), 1,248 guests, and 268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29