Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
stranger
stranger
I receive this error message, when I upgrade from version 7.3 to 7.3.1

FATAL ERROR: Unable to find the g or english language directories. Please notify the administrator.

During the upgrade I did not change any directories. But I have also copied temp into the language folder

journeyman
journeyman
Hej MAtR

I did experience the same error as you: I did a upgrade from 7.2.2 to 7.3, and after that to 7.3.1 but got the same FATAL ERROR as you. I had to quit the upgrade process and went back to 7.2.2

Perhaps you shouldnt overwrite language files in 7.3.1 I hope somebody could give a hint

trosfrihed.dk
Custom Ubb 7.5.2
stranger
stranger
I think at some places names for languages have changed. In the old version it would show german and english now it only shows g and e. There must be so internal inconsistencies with theses variables.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
The language options are stored in the cache file, and how they are stored has been changed. On each upgrade the scripts try to clear out the cache so it's rebuilt, however if that's not happening, what you can try is to ftp into your site. Go into your cache directory and delete everything except for the index.html file.

stranger
stranger
I deleted everything in the cache directory except the index.html It is still behaving the same. It works ok, when I clean the cache of the browser, but after I want to log onto the adminitration panel. I get this error message and then it works only again. When I clear the cache of the browser. All things, which worked before do not work at all.

stranger
stranger
I am a little disappointed by so little support. It seems to me that this problem is a bug that was introduced from version 7.3 to 7.3.1. So as long as there is no fix for this problem I recommend not to perform this upgrade, if you run a multilingual forum. Currently my forum is absolutely useless and I have to start think about a plan B. This is not the first time a update did not work and I had to set up the forum from scratch!!

SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
dunno if this is it, but i DID notice a temp directory in the languages directory.

i simply deleted it. seemed to me to NOT be needed and then i did the upgrade

i posted about it in a thread somewhere and am not sure if there was a reply as to why it was in there.

now, of course i only have upgraded sites with English..

but i'd think that you should try the upgrade without the directory..

if you need help, you can PM me info and i can look @ your site smile

stranger
stranger
I deleted now this temp folder from the directory languages, but that did not help at all....

As I mentioned before there must be a bug some place in the language parameters, which was introduce during the changes performed from version 7.3 to 7.3.1 So a bugfix is needed!!!

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
The best thing to do is open up a support ticket. The forums are good for general support, but when there is an obvious issue a support ticket will get better response since we can actual get onto your site to debug.

It's not a global issue with upgrading. We have both english and german languages installed here and didn't come across any issues while upgrading.

stranger
stranger
I have done so the same day, but since then I have not heard anything new. Hmmm it seems to be a real problem???

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Hmm, there is one ticket in the system regarding this, not sure if it's yours. I had replied to it. Can you check the ticket to see if it's yours.

stranger
stranger
Hmmm I have not received anything. I might have type my e-mail wrong, but at lease consistently wrong. I also have also not received any reference from the ticket system. What shall I do? Because at lease what I see the bug has not yet been fixed.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Hmm, go ahead and open up another ticket, and then let me know when you do so I can check.

M
journeyman
journeyman
M Offline
Pitty I did not check this thread before doing my upgrade. I have exactly the same problem on my forum.

FATAL ERROR: Unable to find the e or croatian language directories. Please notify the administrator.

Hopefully I won't have to install my forum from scratch. I did many upgrades during past years, but this is a first time that it won't work.

M
journeyman
journeyman
M Offline
After upgrading my forum from 7.3 to 7.4 I receive a following error:
FATAL ERROR: Unable to find the e or croatian language directories. Please notify the administrator.
Same thing happened on my previous upgrade, and I had to reinstall my previous version.
I have three language files: Croatian, English and test
After upgrade was finished I was able to go back to my forum page, however when I went for the tab where you change a language (on the bottom) I saw only letters c, e and t. After trying to change a language I received above message.

M
journeyman
journeyman
M Offline
And yes, my CONTROL PANEL works fine.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
First thing, try clearing out your cache in the control panel. The old version stored the language file names a bit differently, so that could be the issue.

M
journeyman
journeyman
M Offline
No, clearing out my cache did not help.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
I'd try clearing out the cache/forum_cache.php file manually and then rebuild. Basically, at the end of that file it has an array that should look something like this:

Code
$lang_cache = array (                                                          
  1 =>                                                                         
  array (                                                                      
    'dir' => 'english',                                                        
    'name' => 'English',                                                       
  ),                                                                           
);  

It sounds like yours isn't built properly. Deleting the file and then clearning cache should properly build the array.

M
journeyman
journeyman
M Offline
Thank you Rick. I will look into that also.
However before your reply I tried few things and following worked:

Since the error was about FORUM not being able to locate a language directory I renamed language directory from english into e, and from croatian into c, and then I renamed back to how it was and that worked for some reason.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Havenofsobriety), 458 guests, and 91 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29