Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
D Offline
I'm about to open a new forum, and it is my preference to force guests to register in order to enter - I've done this in the past to get people to register (talking about forums with a "natural" audience that will come regardless) - then after a period open the forums up for guest read.

What I'm finding is that a guest can see some items that I can't apparently block. They can see the Calendar, and they can see the FAQ - the latter may be understandable. However when they hit either of those they can see anything in the left and right columns, except the Shout Box, which does have its own permissions. They can see Who's Online, Latest Photos, etc.

Am I missing a way to keep those from displaying?

What you are asking about is a closed board from everyone but registered users including Spiders. Correct?
If that is the case then goto: control panel>>group management
Using the guest group line you have three options to pick from for permissions.
Forum,Site and CP.
Open each option and change all permissions to 0.
Then a guest can only access registration or login.
It takes a while to go through all the settings for each area.

Last edited by Ruben; 02/17/2009 6:58 PM.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Oh and BTW if a guest can still see something you probably missed one of the settings.

Blue Man Group
D
D Offline
Originally Posted by Ruben
What you are asking about is a closed board from everyone but registered users including Spiders. Correct?
Correct. Could care less about search engines at this point - the forum is for a specific group that already knows it is coming. We want them to join and post, rather than lurk.

If that is the case then goto: control panel>>group management
Using the guest group line you have three options to pick from for permissions.
Forum,Site and CP.
Open each option and change all permissions to 0.
Then a guest can only access registration or login.
It takes a while to go through all the settings for each area.
Double-checked that. Most are guest/0 by default, and the few that aren't were already changed to 0. Note my specific issue about opening the calendar and FAQ pages turning on the columns for a guest. Try it and you will see.

D
D Offline
Add one more - Click on Register User and when the Board Rules pop up the islands will be there as well.

My opinion is that Register User (obviously) and FAQ should be available to a guest with no permissions, but without island content, and the Calendar should not be available.

Then you overlooked a setting that is still set to 1. It can't be most are set to 0 it must be all.
Post your url to the site. Maybe I can point you to to the setting you overlooked.

Blue Man Group
Originally Posted by DonB
Add one more - Click on Register User and when the Board Rules pop up the islands will be there as well.

My opinion is that Register User (obviously) and FAQ should be available to a guest with no permissions, but without island content, and the Calendar should not be available.
Yes that is true but the user can't do anything as a guest

Blue Man Group
D
D Offline
http://www.lostcoastcachers.com

Registration is turned off, so you won't be able to test the Register User item, but Calendar and FAQ will show you what I mean. Note that the various Active Topics items throw an error, as well, although I don't have a problem with that.

D
D Offline
I added a single Calendar item on May 2nd to show you that a Guest can see the Calendar contents also.

Like I said some island items do show but you can't access them.
But on the calendar island you missed a setting because if it was closed I would not be able to open the calendar as a guest.

Blue Man Group
D
D Offline
OK, where are permission settings for the Calendar (other than the one for being able to add Calendar items, which is 0 for both guest and ordinary user)?

Probably in site permissions for guests.
Don't know what a ordinary user is?

Last edited by Ruben; 02/17/2009 7:49 PM.

Blue Man Group
D
D Offline
The default groups are guest, user, moderator, global moderator, administrator. I used the term "ordinary user" to mean user.

There is only one calendar permission in site permissions, and that is "Can create new calendar events" which as noted is zero for both users and guests.

Only one island has viewing permissions possible, and that is the Shout Box. There is a Shout Box on the referenced site, and you correctly could not see it.

D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline
In scripts/calendar.inc.php find
PHP Code
"regonly" => 0, 
and change to
PHP Code
"regonly" => 1, 
You can do the same thing with the FAQ or any other page you wish to only be accessible to logged-in members.

D
D Offline
Thanks. That solved the issue of being able to open the calendar, or click on Who's Online and see the details.

It does not keep the islands from displaying, however.

Then you need to either do one or both.
Make a suggestion in the suggestion forum and wait for a upgrade.
Open a support ticket to resolve your issue.

Blue Man Group
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline
You need to make the change in faq.inc.php as well.

D
D Offline
Nah - These are minor bugs, and I can certainly live with them - I wanted to know if there were permissions I was missing (there weren't) or workarounds (there were, partial). I doubt this forum will be left closed to guest reading very long, and it is sufficiently insulated with the mods.

I'm a long-time Classic user - my forum is http://www.datastormusers.com - and although I've got a Gold license I've stayed with Classic out of inertia. Starting a new site was impetus to learn threads, and perhaps one of these days convert over. Biggest issue has been all of the hacks I've done that I hope not to have to redo. Particularly registration hacks - I'm able to auto-reject an average of 25 registrations per day with my custom filters that never increment the member count or make it into the queue.

I don't know if just having Captcha will be equally effective or not, or if I will have to implement similar hacks.

D
D Offline
Originally Posted by DLWebmaestro
You need to make the change in faq.inc.php as well.
Yes, that would close it off, but I WANT the FAQ readable, and of course when I turn the board on the Register User will present the same islands.

Do you know what is being done to make the Shout Box invisible when the permissions aren't allowed? The same thing for other islands would be good.

Well for me going from classic I can tell you the difference is night and day. And more so with the current version as far as security goes.

Blue Man Group

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Havenofsobriety), 458 guests, and 91 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29