Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Hi

I'm working on a bid to setup a forum site for an extremely large multi-site UK organization. I was planning to use UBBThreads (and buy another licence for it rather than use my existing one) however i have a question over its scalability.
Potentially my client could have several hundred thousand users, but i dont know how many concurrent users the system is likely to cope with.

The install would be on a dedicated hosted server (specs to be finalised but likely to be RHEL 5.2, quad cpu and lots of memory and disk), and with potentially an unlimited bandwidth connection to the interweb, so in theory the hardware would cope - i just am unsure about the software.

Anyone running UBB with a significant number of users? Any performance issues out there or things id need to know before hand would be appreciated.

Regards
Baz

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
As long as the MySQL server is tuned for a large set of users it should cope without issues... You may end up finding yourself (or the server admin) going through tuning Apache and MySQL over time...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
I have a client running with 40k members and 1.2million posts, usually there's 3-400 members on and 4-600 guests, maybe 10 spiders. He's running 8 cores (2 quad cores) and 8gb of ram. It appears pretty speedy, tho mysql could probably be tuned a bit more.

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
SD Offline
Former Developer
Former Developer
i had a site go 'viral' and ended up with 300,000 users at one point.

threads did fine..

one thing that had to be dealt with though was the welcome PM that was sent to all those users.. it was a HUGE one with a TON of information and i saw no reason to duplicate it 300,000 times for each new user..

so that was modified a bit to cut down on the private messages tables..

other than that, no probs really...

sites with 2.5 million posts works fine, with a well tuned my.cnf wink

thanks for all the input guys - it is appreciated.
I do Oracle tuning from time to time so appreciate that (a) its a fine art, and (b) is always an ongoing thing.

From the figures given i guess the software can scale remarkably well smile

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
Is UBB.threads still going?
by Aaron101 - 04/01/2022 8:18 AM
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 816 guests, and 465 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29