Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#227239 06/19/2009 3:12 AM
T
T Offline
So i now have admin status and i'd like to revive an old forum run with UBB 6.2 (which i understand to be a dinosaur).

The forum was largely unattended and unmonitored for some time. Now there are over 6,000 in the registration que!!! As you'd imagine mostly all spammers.

I don't think that the owner wants to upgrade. So other than starting a whole new forum i'm wondering if there's anything that can be done. Seems like i have a good bit of work ahead of me.

Is there a way of deleting the que and starting over???

Again, thanks for the help.

tacks #227240 06/19/2009 9:23 AM
T
T Offline
I looked in the 'Classic Documentation' section. But it doesn't seem to cover 6.2.0. Does anyone know of some resource that could help me?

again, thanks for the past help

EDIT: Oooops. I see in the above post that i'm asking the same question i did in April. A question which you guys already advised me on. Sorry about that.

Last edited by tacks; 06/19/2009 9:28 AM.
tacks #227246 06/19/2009 3:44 PM
I never used the registration queue in classic but there is a tool to delete them it would take a while deleting one page at a time though.
It is just a flat file system but sometimes you need to edit more than one file.

JAISP is still running a classic board maybe he will chime in with a shortcut.

Or Allen may remember how.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Ruben #227253 06/19/2009 7:28 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
From a security perspective, you really should upgrade...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #227260 06/19/2009 10:03 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Giz, I challenge you to break into my classic board and mess it up.

JAISP #227261 06/19/2009 10:16 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Control Panel » Member Management » Registration Queue

Select "Decline All"

JAISP #227263 06/20/2009 5:00 AM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
No thanks, just don't come running to me when it has been tongue...

BTW, not every security issue is a "server wide" problem, some simple things like the captcha and random crap...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Gizmo #227264 06/20/2009 11:25 AM
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by Gizmo
No thanks, just don't come running to me when it has been tongue...

BTW, not every security issue is a "server wide" problem, some simple things like the captcha and random crap...

LOL, Gizmo. I didn't think you could do it anyways.

JAISP #227266 06/20/2009 3:10 PM
JAISP,
Just for my own info. Classic has a delete all for the registration Queue? Or is it one page at a time to delete like I was thinking.

It is funny how you use something for 6 to 7 years, Then a year or two later can't seem to remember much about the differences after upgrading.

Blue Man Group
JAISP #227268 06/20/2009 7:21 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by JAISP
LOL, Gizmo. I didn't think you could do it anyways.
not saying it isn't possible, simply I don't have the time to go look up what was fixed, what caused issues, how it was done, etc... I'm going through a divorce and looking for a real job, last thing I need to do is exploit some ancient script for kicks...

Not to mention, honestly, i don't care, it's your server.

Gizmo #227269 06/20/2009 8:58 PM
Veteran
Veteran
As I remember correctly it declines all users in the registration que

JAISP #227279 06/22/2009 11:00 AM
T
T Offline
Control Panel » Member Management » Registration Queue

Select "Decline All"

Thanks for posting, JAISP.

But i can not find the 'Decline All' icon. I'm guessing that this a feature not on UBB 6.2.0 rather it became available on 6.5 or some other version.

(hence another reason to update tongue )

tacks #227285 06/22/2009 2:55 PM
Veteran
Veteran
I'm running 6.7.2 Classic version. I'm not quite sure without installing your version under a test run to see what exactly you have in your control panel at this point.

If I get a chance this week I will do just that to see what I can do to help you.

JAISP #227309 06/22/2009 10:52 PM
T
T Offline
I'm running 6.7.2 Classic version. I'm not quite sure without installing your version under a test run to see what exactly you have in your control panel at this point.

If I get a chance this week I will do just that to see what I can do to help you.

Wow! That would be very generous of you!

I'm considering the fact that the forum's owner (it's attached to a business) paid a good chunk of change to a computer tech who, in the end, didn't really accomplish anything. (the tech did do other stuff for the business but didn't do beans for the forum) Heck if you're willing to have a look for free that'd be great!

If you're willing to help i'll let u know that, at this point, i might consider asking the owner to upgrade if

1 the cost is reasonable

2 the upgrade could be completed by a volunteer like myself without hiring a tech

3 there would not be any risk in having the entire forum crash if someone like myself attempted the upgrage in a DIY style

Again, i thank you for taking an interest in our situation! [Linked Image from i27.photobucket.com]

(it appears as though the previous 'upgrade' to our forum was more of a 'bridge' to another expensive software that was a costly flop (i was not involved, i don't really know). if there are less costly alternatives i might suggest them (while also suggesting that forum members like myself chip in))

tacks #227315 06/23/2009 1:01 PM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
At $99, the upgrade price would be pretty painless, especially in the face of the other option being deleting page by page smile

As an aside, if you are basically deleting all registrations since a particular date, just open the 3 files that contain that info (memberlist.cgi, emailsomething, etc.) and delete from there down. The delete all user files that match that info. I'd tell you specifically which files to edit but those scripts are at home on my backup drives. If you're still fishing around I'll know more late tonight (have a trash the dress session with 2 brides between now and sundown smile ).

Of course, make a backup before beginning smile

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
Veteran
Veteran
Ok, I found 6.1 and 6.3 but not 6.2 in this mess.

Allen I think the cost of $99 may be more then they have at this point. I know your a moderator here and all that and all you mods always just blurt out upgrade upgrade blah blah blah and so on but hey, not everyone has the money or are able to do that on a whim all the time. Like most government and rich folks it appears that you guys think everyone has lots of money laying around and its like nothing to just "upgrade".

Anyway, I will try to help this person even if I have to get in there and do it my self manually to help them for FREE.

JAISP #227336 06/23/2009 8:49 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I'd just like to say for the record, us "mods" are just beta testers, we do not work for Groupee. We are standard users of this script solution, we don't get paid for this and we still buy our licenses just like everyone else.

We simply say to upgrade as they bring features and bug fixes to older releases that others often request...

Gizmo #227337 06/23/2009 9:01 PM
Veteran
Veteran
I understand that but some users are strapped or on a strict budget. It is to often the first thing is "upgrade" when the user may not be able to. If the user wanted to just upgrade in most cases they wouldn't ask some of the things they ask or state certain things.

Originally Posted by tacks
I don't think that the owner wants to upgrade. So other than starting a whole new forum i'm wondering if there's anything that can be done. Seems like i have a good bit of work ahead of me.

JAISP #227350 06/24/2009 3:57 PM
T
T Offline
Thanks very much to Gizmo, JAISP & Allen for taking interest in my situation. You're all being a great help.

Allen I think the cost of $99 may be more then they have at this point.

Actually we've had a decent number of members over the years. And i believe that 99 dollars would be doable. I'd simply make a post asking that we all chip in. It's merely a matter of how long it would take to raise the $$$. (probably not long)

I mentioned before that the previous attempt at an 'upgrade' was a flop (and probably a flop that cost much more than $99). It might be that the owner simply isn't aware of the inexpensive options available. And originally wasn't aware that 6.2.0 would be difficult to work with.

tacks #227351 06/24/2009 3:59 PM
T
T Offline
So in summary, let me say that i'm willing to consider either of the two options:

1) raising 99 dollars for an upgrade

OR

2) working with UBB 6.2.0

tacks #227353 06/24/2009 4:02 PM
T
T Offline
Question:

How many upgrades are available for 6.2.0 and what would they all cost?

Meaning would 99 dollars upgrade me to 6.7? Or would it take 99 dollars to get up to 6.3 and then another 99 for 6.4?

tacks #227355 06/24/2009 4:28 PM
Assuming your license is valid. $99.00 gives you access to the members area for one year.
In the members area you have access to the current Threads version.
Importers for threads. And the last version of classic 6.7.3

Blue Man Group
Ruben #227361 06/25/2009 8:37 AM
T
T Offline
Thanks Ruben!!!! That certainly seems cost efficient!!!

tacks #227368 06/25/2009 6:53 PM
Yep I think so. For 99 bucks you can either upgrade to the last classic version or go all the way to threads.
So you could take baby steps and try one option at a time If you decide to go to threads you won't be sorry.

Or spend some time clicking on the delete button.

Just remember since your version is not available anymore.
What ever option you choose:
Backup!!! Backup!!! Backup!!!

Blue Man Group
Ruben #227372 06/26/2009 7:26 AM
T
T Offline
Thanks again, Ruben.

JAISP #227584 07/09/2009 11:53 AM
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
Ok, I found 6.1 and 6.3 but not 6.2 in this mess.

Allen I think the cost of $99 may be more then they have at this point. I know your a moderator here and all that and all you mods always just blurt out upgrade upgrade blah blah blah and so on but hey, not everyone has the money or are able to do that on a whim all the time. Like most government and rich folks it appears that you guys think everyone has lots of money laying around and its like nothing to just "upgrade".

Anyway, I will try to help this person even if I have to get in there and do it my self manually to help them for FREE.

I've been helping people "for free" here, at infopop, at scriptkeeper and ubbdev for >10 years now. They've never paid me a penney, despite thousands of hours of support in those forums. That's besides the point, my advice is definitely valid. $99 is a pittance to anyone running a busy site to fix bugs, fix security holes (and there's been more than a few as tacks is discovering), not even counting the new features. If that is too much money, then at least stick to the free scripts, there's at least one out there, tho I'd never use it myself smile

Anyone who puts up an online forum, attracts members, and wants to make it an ongoing concern has to understand that keeping the server updated and keeping their scripts updated is the minimal level of competence required to run a site. If the site-owner is unwilling to update software that is several years old (a millenia in internet years), then our advice is not going to fix the underlying issue.

- Allen
- ThreadsDev | PraiseCafe
Veteran
Veteran
Hey NP, I will bow out and not try to help those whom wish to receive help with their current versions only the newest ones, knock your self out.

As far as FREE scripts. I recently tried a free script for a customer and ran it as a test run to not only see it my self but to have my hosting customer see it as well before placing it on his site for him.

It was not on my server more then 6 hours before some script kiddie SQL injected the script totally screwing up my server through the FREE script. I was able to contain the intrusion and repair my server without any loss to its database and content.

This is the first time in 14 years I even attempted to try a free script against my better judgment. It was a very good quality script and done very well. Unfortunately FREE scripts are a script kiddie paradise as the code is so readily available to anyone who wishes to destroy your sites and stuff it is not even worth the consideration or effort to even begin to use them.

By the way I was just getting ready to ask this user if he/she would like me to preform the task manually.

Oh, I have never charged anyone in 15 years of helping people over the internet.

JAISP #227592 07/09/2009 5:06 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
You know, I'd rather pay $99 to keep a script up to date vs having someone trash my site from not updating from something potentially insecure... Think of all the consequences, there's deleting files, stealing user passwords (older versions, and potentially other scripts), and them running malicious software that could get your hosting account terminated...

Gizmo #227632 07/12/2009 2:55 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by Gizmo
You know, I'd rather pay $99 to keep a script up to date vs having someone trash my site from not updating from something potentially insecure... Think of all the consequences, there's deleting files, stealing user passwords (older versions, and potentially other scripts), and them running malicious software that could get your hosting account terminated...

I don't even know why they have the classic thread here anymore. If your not running the latest or very close to it your pretty much told to upgrade and so on. Why not just have the section locked and a message that no real support other then pay to upgrade posted. <--- was not a question.

and them running malicious software that could get your hosting account terminated...

I'm betting if you don't have your server tuned properly that could happen even with the latest of the UBB.Threads too.

JAISP #227634 07/12/2009 3:36 PM
Here is my 2 cents.
I think sooner or later no matter what flavor of classic or ubb it is, there will come a day someone will find a way to exploit the software.
Now in defense of classic we used to have a lot of hacks at ubbdev.
I recall one was a captcha hack where it was a question answer method.
But you can't seem to find help for many of those old hacks now.
Also there are things that are recommended in the classic manual to mitigate security issues. Like moving the member files above the root. Email validation and moderated registrations.
But it seems very few people with a problem follow those recommendations.
I do know ubb threads 6.x has a security risk in one of the scripts.
I believe it is "addpost_newpoll.php".

Blue Man Group
Ruben #227635 07/12/2009 6:15 PM
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
As Ruben said, previous versions of .t6 have security issues; I believe the latest build of v6 (v6.5.5) is fine.

AS for classic, you'll get the captcha broken easily by spammers.

Ruben #227636 07/12/2009 7:42 PM
Veteran
Veteran
Originally Posted by Ruben
I do know ubb threads 6.x has a security risk in one of the scripts.
I believe it is "addpost_newpoll.php".

Yes you are correct. I also think there was or still is a security risk on the Threads where it points from the old classic to the threads on the import script. This is not an issue with my threads boards as I have a direct forward to the new board from the old one without integration between them.

The "addpost_newpoll.php" security risk allowed people to gain several types of access to your boards including spamming without an account on the system. I see several attempts on this security hole daily even though the problem has been fixed a long time ago.

No matter what your running or how good it is your always open to some sort of exploit if someone really wanted to take the time to find one.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 396 guests, and 110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29