Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#228452 08/19/2009 12:56 PM
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline
I am currently testing a migration from Classic to Threads. I have a few of my board users testing the Threads board. I copied the data from the current classic board to the Threads board for testing using the Classic importer.

My question is regarding the best way to make the final production migration to Threads.

My current procedure list is as follows. I'm looking for suggestions to anything I might of missed or any steps that will make it easier.
  • Close the current classic board
  • Make a note of any CP settings that were changed. (Is there anyway to save the CP values to reuse?)
  • Drop the SQL table
  • Run createtable.php
  • Rerun the classic importer
  • Reapply any CP changes
  • Reload any skins/styles that I might be using
What have I missed?

DennyP - www.dennyp.com
DennyP Travel
Gizmo has a faq post on upgrading HERE .
Not much has changed.
I did it two years ago with very little problems. In fact the only problem I had was the redirector scripts trying to figure out what settings to use.

The only thing I did note on my upgrade was I used polls. The import kept the posts for the polls but the actual poll and results were gone.

There is really not a lot to salvage form the old control panel settings since everything is quite different other than view the vars files to cut and paste. But you could do that from the classic control panel since it will still be functional.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
Oh, There was one bit of housekeeping I did before the upgrade.
I cleaned up my forum structure meaning deleted old forums not needed and moved the posts to valid forums.
Cleaned up my member database some by deleting what I determined to be non valid users.
With that in mind you probably know this already. But nobody can be member #1 it will be reserved for anonymous users.

Blue Man Group
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline
Thanks, I'll check the FAQ.

When I was referring to CP settings, I was actually referring to any settings in the test Threads CP that I want to reuse in the reloaded Threads CP.

DennyP - www.dennyp.com
DennyP Travel
Oh okay. Not sure how to apply up front of the upgrade but until after the real upgrade. since that is when the config file is created. It starts out as a blank file until you run the install script.
But anyway the config file is includes/config.inc.php.
You can edit it but you may still need to go into the control panel to select submit on some items after you are done editing it.
This is due to some items in the config file are stored in the tables and some are used from the config file.

But usually it will update the tables when needed. But if it hiccups just open the control panel section in question and just hit the submit button.

When version 8 comes out almost all settings will be stored in the tables. Right now it is hit or miss where they are used from.

Last edited by Ruben; 08/19/2009 2:04 PM. Reason: had wrong location for config file

Blue Man Group
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline
So after I drop the tables and run createtable.php I will lose any CP settings that I applied during testing and I will need to save what those changes were and manually enter them.

There isn't a way to export them then import them via SQL?

DennyP - www.dennyp.com
DennyP Travel
I think you will be fine just saving the old config.inc.php file and replace the new one when done.
All I am saying is the config file holds most all the settings but some settings will be placed in the tables for use by threads and some settings will be referenced from the config file. They are still in the config file but that is for the control panel to use. When you select submit it will update what ever tables it is designed to do.

The only thing you may need to edit is the paths and or database info on the first 6 or 7 lines in the file if you use a different configuration.
If you read the transfer guide for dummys in the faq forum by Gizmo. You will see it is pretty much the same. move files and database to new server and edit the top few lines in the config file

Sorry going from memory is a bad thing. Gizmos transfer guide is HERE not in the FAQ forum.

Last edited by Ruben; 08/19/2009 2:21 PM.

Blue Man Group
R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Ruben pretty much nailed it. While you can use the config file from your current version, there are just a few things that have a database counterpart to the config file. Such as portal settings, the layout is stored in the config file, but the actual settings for each portal box is stored in the database.

So, you can use the old config file, but if you notice any oddities, you'll want to go into the control panel and redit the area in question so the database is updated to match.

D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline
Great help, Ruben & Rick - thanks.

DennyP - www.dennyp.com
DennyP Travel
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline
Originally Posted by Ruben
I think you will be fine just saving the old config.inc.php file and replace the new one when done.
Which threads directory contains the config.inc.php file?

DennyP - www.dennyp.com
DennyP Travel
includes folder.
My original post said scripts but was able to correct it before my edit time out.

Blue Man Group
D
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
D Offline
Originally Posted by DennyP
Which threads directory contains the config.inc.php file?
Never mind - found it. Thanks.

DennyP - www.dennyp.com
DennyP Travel

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Havenofsobriety), 458 guests, and 91 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29