Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
I am considering setting up a new web site including a new UBB threads forum on a new web host. If I Google "web hosting services", a number come up. I sure don't know which one to pick.

For example, the godaddy economy plan offers "10 GB Space | 300 GB Transfer | 10 MySQL Databases" for $5 per month.

The web site my current forum is on is charging $29 per month, and the storage and transfer sizes are way below that level.

How can I tell whether a hosting service is solid and worth using?

What are some sites people here use that might be worth checking?

Thanks in advance.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I highly advise against Godaddy or any other "big name" registrar for hosting; it's not their primary business and quite frankly they have a lot of customers shoved on a handful of servers...

You should take a look at http://www.webhostingtalk.com/ since their community is geared towards JUST hosting reviews...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
D
Pooh-Bah
Pooh-Bah
D Offline
I took out an account with godaddy for an unimportant domain and the control panel is dreadful.

It's got way too much going on in there and far too many links to promote their own services. Way too confusing.

I agree with Giz!

Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Ok, thanks for the replies. So no GoDaddy.

And I looked over on www.webhostingtalk.com. Man, how can you stop those blinkety-blinking ads? mad   I can't read a screen that has stuff flashing at me. sick

I would like to hear about hosting sites that people DO like.

$29 per month sounds pretty high when compared to the rates others quote -- but then if it means WITH ads or withOUT, maybe the $29 is ok.

What do others pay???

Not knowing what you are looking for but lunarpages.com have been good for me. And I am using the basic plan.
I think I currently have about 235MB of files and 20MB of MYSQL Plus 20MB of email there plus 1GB of transfer for the month.
I have never had a issue in a year. Just a couple of questions. So I can't say much about support except for they think 4 hours is a good turn around.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
<snicker> if you're using firefox install the adblock extension tongue

And from working at a webhost and going around to differant hosts for clients, I didn't really like Lunar, just a bad taste in my mouth :/...

WHT will really have the best reviews BTW; here I doubt we have more than one or two people per host, whereas there you have reviews of thousands of people...

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Well I think we all have horror stories where another has perfect performance from the same host. The problem is you never know what server they place you on until you pull the plastic out.

Blue Man Group
Veteran
Veteran
Well I will add to this topic. The price of $29 per month is not to bad. On thing I will say the lower the price with the larger packages are ALWAYS a trouble sign right up front. If you see $4.99 a month with unlimited bandwidth and mega space and so on get out of there really fast.

Those places are so large they are looking for the fast buck. You will have great service right up to and perhaps a week or two past the trial time where as you can cancel at any time point. Then your site will start to suffer for speed and MySQL database time. They now have you and put you in the standard loop and not the VIP treatment.

Now the VPN scam. You get a VPN, where your still chunked into a place with tons of other people, and you have full control of your site and your allotted this and that. Well after the trial period your going to have problems too. This is still a form of "shared hosting" where your limited no matter if your told your unlimited in this or that.

I'm not a fan of very large corporate web hosting by no means. I have been hosted by others and it was not pretty. I own my own now and I will never be hosted by others again. No I will not host anyone who comes through this forum so please do not PM me and ask about hosting on my service. The primary reason is that once by Gizmo it was mentioned that I was polling for customers in here so no I will never host anyone from here. Anyway....

I have a customer that pays $60 a month for two sites. The only problem they ever had was every few days they couldn't log into their email account and the server had to be restated. I had investigated why and found the cause. They use free email services like yahoo and hotmail for their commercial email account. The sales department uses an email box on their registered site. They never checked their admin login email account and it built up over 12,000 junk emails and was causing problems in the email server on their account. Once I purged their email account and put an auto forward to their yahoo account they never had a problem again.

What I think you should look for is a medium to small web hosting provider that don't have corporate locations all over the place. You will get better service and better response times for your web site. They actually do care about their customers as every customer counts to them, they are not just another number.

Okay now for station identification.
Still think you should post your site JAISP.
http://www.jaisp.com/
There may come a day that I call on you. Regardless of what you or Gizmo says.

Blue Man Group
Veteran
Veteran
I'm serious. If you or anyone calls me and says then heard about me on this site I will hang right up on you. I really don't need the money. This is my hobby. I'm the head IT guy for a land partner corp. and do all their IT stuff.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
BTW, if you go for a VPS you'll definatley want to make sure that you're only on a server with a few clients (4-8 mid sized users); a lot of places will just keep shoving people on the same server which is just crazy...

Veteran
Veteran
That would be a smaller web hosting company Gizmo. The large cut thought corporations will put 15 to 30 on a single VPS and convince you that their systems are better then everyone elses and they can handle the load.

Addict
Addict
I have been very happy with Hostway for several years, but I am paying a LOT of money for my dedicated server.

Steve

UBB.classic from 2000-2003
UBB.threads from 2003-present!
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Well, it sounds like paying the $29 monthly may be a good way to go. I sure don't want to get shoved onto a server and channel that is impacted with way too much traffic.

Thanks for all the input. If there are more comments, please write. I am certainly watching for more.

Thanks so much!

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L Offline
I use DreamHost

They are Awesome

I initially chose them because they are a Freedom of Speech Web Hosting Company

They will not suspend any account for any politically incorrect websites, as long as it's legal (ofcourse)

The price is low and they give you Unlimited Databases

I love it

They have their own Wiki Help Section and the Instructions for me have been great.

I just added their Referral Ad to the bottom of my Forum

$8.95 per month

$15 a month for a Virtual Private Server

You can't go wrong with that!

Last edited by lightningrod; 02/23/2010 12:40 PM.
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Thanks ligntningrod. Wish I had seen your recommendation 5 months ago. I pay three times that.

I am also curious... do they charge more if the bandwidth goes too high?

And how about disk space? Since my site is a mountain and hiking site, there are always pictures to be posted, so the gigabytes could climb quickly. I currently don't allow galleries.

L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L Offline
Originally Posted by Steve C
Thanks ligntningrod. Wish I had seen your recommendation 5 months ago. I pay three times that.

I am also curious... do they charge more if the bandwidth goes too high?

And how about disk space? Since my site is a mountain and hiking site, there are always pictures to be posted, so the gigabytes could climb quickly. I currently don't allow galleries.

http://www.dreamhost.com/hosting.html

All this for just $8.95 per month

Disk Storage: Unlimited TB

Bandwidth: Unlimited TB

MySQL 5 Databases: Unlimited

continued...

Long List there at the url

Check it out

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (rootman), 641 guests, and 112 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29