Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
D Offline
granted, my boards are pretty old -- nearly 10 years or so. and, yeah, they've got a good string of regular traffic, over 1mil posts. and, perhaps the most damning, i hate deleting old content, so i never prune.

but, all that said... i really never thought my boards would be that big. as stands, my "gz" sql backups are 200 MB. according to the cpanel for my site, my entire mysql space is about 1.5 GB.

besides literally just nuking threads or forums here and there (which i truly want to avoid) is there anything i can do to "diet" a bit? like, because my forum has gone through years of ubb upgrades and such, maybe the structures are just old and need to be "cleaned" to streamline? and then i'll drop about 500 MB/LBs?

S
S Offline
I recently went from UBB 'Classic' 6.x (license was from ~2002 or so - upgrading since 1999) to the new 7.5.3 Threads, have never pruned posts (have about 1/2 of yours) and I can say that my load has reduced significantly.

YMMV-

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
The only way you're going to reduce the size of the database is by pruning, no way around that one. Speed can be improved by things like tuning the MySQL install, but it looks like you're just wanting to reduce the size itself.

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
I should note, that one of the reasons the database is so large is that we keep two copies of each post. One the already marked up version (all ubbcode converted) and one of the original post, for editing purposes.

For version 8 we'll be introducing an archive feature, so you can archive older posts. When posts are archived, we will no longer keep the original post, only the marked up one. So those people that have a lot of older posts can choose to archive those, which will free up quite a bit of space.

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Rick
For version 8 we'll be introducing an archive feature, so you can archive older posts. When posts are archived, we will no longer keep the original post, only the marked up one. So those people that have a lot of older posts can choose to archive those, which will free up quite a bit of space.
Hehe, I love when my feature suggestions get implemented in the stock product tongue

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
D
D Offline
yeah, its not the load or speed so much as it is the size.

does "archiving" mean that the thread can no longer be responded to, only viewed? (and if so, would there be a ... "frankenstein" feature, to bring them back if ever need be?)

R
Former Developer
Former Developer
R Offline
Yes, archiving will be view only.

As for bringing them back. Since we're tossing the original post, possibly, but any edits to the one archived posts would lose any ubbcode formatting, unless we write a ubbcode_decode function which would be a major PITA. wink

UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
Originally Posted by Rick
unless we write a ubbcode_decode function which would be a major PITA. wink
You know, I actually wrote one for my news scripts lol

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
D
D Offline
haha

i'd be more than fine with "locking in" those original posts, ala "is that your final answer?" the only thing i don't like is losing conversations (either through pruning or locking). if threads just became permanent after a month or year or whatever, to trim up the db, that'd beautiful.

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
Bots
by Outdoorking - 04/13/2024 5:08 PM
Can you add html to language files?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:41 PM
Do I need to rebuild my database?
by Baldeagle - 04/07/2024 2:58 AM
This is not a bug, but a suggestion
by Baldeagle - 04/05/2024 11:25 PM
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Who's Online Now
2 members (ahmed047, Nightcrawler), 615 guests, and 132 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29