Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#231074 11/16/2009 1:51 PM
R
R Offline
In keeping with Rick's suggestion to take part in the direction of Version 8 I decided it would be a good time to write up and post my wish list. I'm liking the changes Rick's posted about so far, would love to see these too:

1) If "Allow [img] tag in posts?" isn't enabled in the Control Panel then don't display the image tag button/shortcut on the posting form.

2) Reinstate the display of user signatures on profiles (was in 7.3.1, don't know when it was removed).

3) Provide users a preference setting for the default age of displayed threads, as was available in some earlier version(s) of UBBT.

4) Provide user preference setting for the size (columns and rows) of the post field on the posting form, as existed in some earlier version(s) of UBBT.

5) When someone has the "By default should anything added to your Watch Lists be emailed to you?" preference set to Yes and adds a user to his Watched Users, then automatically set email notification for that watched user to "Where a new post is created" (as happens when adding a forum to Watched Forums).

6) When a user has the "By default should anything added to your Watch Lists be emailed to you?" preference set to Yes, then have "Add this topic to my Watched Topics" (when posting a new topic) and "Add this thread to my Watched Topics" (when posting a reply) checked by default.

7) A minor change related to #6: go with either "Add this topic to my Watched Topics" or "Add this thread to my Watched Topics" so the wording of the option is consistent whether posting a topic or a reply. (Yeah, it's a little thing, but the inconsistency contributes to user confusion over whether there's a difference between a topic and a thread.)

8) Remove the "Mark as Edited?" option from the Edit Post page so that when a post is edited that action is always publicly noted, or provide a setting in the CP for admins to enable/disable that option.

9) Disallow user editing of posts that have been replied to, or provide admin option to implement such a restriction.

10) Give admins the option to disable user ability to change the subject of replies. (Admins and mods might still need to be able to change the subject of replies, for instance when merging topics/posts.)

11) Change the function of "Rename this topic" to allow renaming the topic post and all replies in one step.

12) Change the FAQ so that each question/section can be directly linked to.

13) When viewing the thread list in a forum, show some sort of indicator on threads I've posted in.

14) Widen the box that html/php/sql/code tagged content is displayed in so a longer string can be posted without the horizontal scroll bar kicking in. I believe 62 characters is the current maximum before scrolling becomes necessary, would 80 be doable?

15) Allow user replies to global announcements.

16) In referer logs, show the user/visitor IP number connected to each referer.

17) Admin option to display post counts only on profiles (IOW, not in the author info box on posts).

18) Provide a configuration of private message permissions/settings so that admins/mods can PM each other and users, and users can PM admins/mods, but users can't PM each other.

19) Provide an option in the control panel for admins to set up their registration so that users enter only one ID name. (We've found many users don't understand the difference between username and display name...and I have to admit I've never understood the reason for having 2 names associated with each user myself either.)

20) When users opt for email notification on a watched topic, give them the option to either receive emails of each new post (current system) or to receive an email for the first new post in a thread but no other emails for that thread until they visit it again.

Last edited by Rascal; 11/16/2009 2:01 PM. Reason: added #20

Running UBB.threads 7.5.5 as of May 23 2010
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I like: 8, 9, (for 11, i thought each had an anchor; been a while since I worked on it though), 15, (18, I thought admins could always pm users)

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
Addict
Addict
Many of my users have asked for #13, and I agree.

I also like 2, 8, 9, 16, 17, 19

I would like to be able to search by IP address to help find some of the re-registering trolls. An IP "watch list" would be nice, too.

How about an option to prevent people from replying to threads that have been inactive for over some period of time?

Last edited by SteveS; 11/16/2009 9:05 PM. Reason: added another!

Steve

UBB.classic from 2000-2003
UBB.threads from 2003-present!
UBB.threads Developer
UBB.threads Developer
I think the "user signatures in profile" is just an oversight from when the profile got overhauled for the "user profile comments" feature.

I am a Web Development Contractor, I do not work for UBBCentral. I have provided free User to User Support since the beginning of these support forums.
Do you need Forum Install or Upgrade Services?
Forums: A Gardeners Forum, Scouters World
UBB.threads: UBBWiki, UBB Styles, UBB.Sitemaps
Longtime Supporter & Resident Post-A-Holic
VNC Web Services: Code Modifications, Upgrades, Styling, Coding Services, Disaster Recovery, and more!
addict
addict
If #8 is added PLEASE put something in the CP to turn it off. I don't like the auto showing that something was edited. (now if it had a time where if the post was over 2 days old or something or replied to already then yes... but I know I have edited my posts within a couple of seconds of posting it for spelling/grammar errors that I didn't pick up in the small box before posting and I don't need it to be marked as edited.

Not sure I like the user replies to global announcements so I would also defer to allowing you to shut that feature off in the CP as well. (I only use global announcements very sparingly) so even then a permissions thing for global announcements so that you could allow certain groups would probably be a nice compromise in that regard.

#18 I thought you could already do that, though I could be mistaken.

#19 I disagree. Though I understand confusion, I also say for security that people use both. One name to login with and the other to display.. it is way harder to guess someone's login name and password, than just a password. (Just my thought on that don't crucify me just yet tongue ). That or I am just misunderstanding what you are asking for.

Ok sorry I just had to put my thoughts on several of those requests, but these are solely based on how we use our boards and I am not as high tech or high speed with my boards as some of the awesome ones I have seen from some of you either. So take all this as my opinion based on how I use my forums. smile

Dunny

Dunny #231123 11/18/2009 11:36 AM
T
stranger
stranger
T Offline
I agree with most of the above wish list and would like to add:

1. A control panel method for pruning private messages, preferably by date and/or user and date. My database has PMs stored going back years.

2. A way to suspend a post after it's been posted. I don't moderate all the posts on my forum but once in awhile someone posts something I want to suspend while I talk to them. Right now, my only option is to delete it or leave it up.

#18 above - I created a user group that doesn't allow PMs and I put PM abusers in that group. What would be better, IMO, would be to allow admin to suspend a user's PM privileges on a case-by-case basis, in the member management section of the control panel.

I believe pruning PM's has been addressed in version 8.
Look at the changelog.

Blue Man Group
There is no such thing as stupid questions. Just stupid answers

Link Copied to Clipboard
ShoutChat
Comment Guidelines: Do post respectful and insightful comments. Don't flame, hate, spam.
Recent Topics
spam issues
by ECNet - 03/19/2024 11:45 PM
Looking for a forum
by azr - 03/15/2024 11:26 PM
Editing Links in Post
by Outdoorking - 03/15/2024 9:31 AM
Question on barkrowler and the like
by Mors - 02/29/2024 6:51 PM
Member Permissions Help
by domspeak - 02/27/2024 6:31 PM
Who's Online Now
1 members (Havenofsobriety), 522 guests, and 99 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Random Gallery Image
Latest Gallery Images
Los Angeles
Los Angeles
by isaac, August 6
3D Creations
3D Creations
by JAISP, December 30
Artistic structures
Artistic structures
by isaac, August 29